View Poll Results: Have you ever fallen during a transfer in a public restroom?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't use public restrooms

1 6.25%
  • No, I use public restrooms, but have never fallen

12 75.00%
  • Yes, due to a loose seat hinge

0 0%
  • Yes, due to my chair backing away

1 6.25%
  • Yes, during the lowering or raising of clothing

0 0%
  • Yes, due to slipping or catching on the open face of the seat

0 0%
  • Yes, while reaching for toilet paper

0 0%
  • Yes, due to my inexperience

0 0%
  • Yes, due to a inadequate or damaged toilet seat

0 0%
  • Yes, due to the seat being different from my one at home?

0 0%
  • Yes, I fell and was injured

0 0%
  • Yes, as a result of inadequate support aids

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: public restroom risks

public restroom risks

I've designed a closed front toilet seat with integrated aids to ease transfers. Unfortunately, the ADA does not specify the toilet seat. As a result toilet seats are left to other standard bodies like the UPC and IPC.
    Both the UPC and IPC have specified that only open face toilet seats can be used in public facilities. In an ADA diagram showing a diagonal transfer on an open face toilet seat, it appears to be very dangerous with a gap at the front of the seat. Does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

public restroom risks

deleted because it was a duplication
    Last edited by Stephen6s; 11-24-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: duplicate

public restroom risks

Duplicate deleted
    Last edited by Stephen6s; 11-24-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: duplicate

public restroom risks

Is is just me or is it more difficult to perform a diagonal transfer to a toilet seat with an open front than a closed front toilet seat?

In Figures 6(a) and 6(b) of Appendix A to Part 1191 - Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, it is clearly shown that the transfer from a wheelchair seat to a toilet seat is achieved with only the wheel chair and toilet seat for support. The grab bars only come into effect once the individual is on the water closet seat and are used almost exclusively for positioning. This, in my mind, makes the toilet seat the most important built in aid for transfers in a public restroom.

In Fig 6(a) it appears that the best first point of landing on the public toilet seat,is where they have removed the seating surface in the open front toilet seat design

Today, the most widely used standards for public restrooms dictate open front toilet seats, ONLY. I would like to amend the standard to allow elongated closed front toilet seats, but I need evidence pointing to the danger of the missing front portion of the open front seat.

If you have any comments on this subject I would greatly appreciate them.

I like the open seat, it make it easier to reach my junk. I don't know what the manual says but I use the grab bars to transfer from my chair to the seat. In fact in my home I have open front toilet seats.

Women who do self cath on the toilet seat would find the closed toilet seat MUCH more difficult to use than those with an open front, regardless of the method used for transfers.

(KLD)

Just curious, why do you need to transfer onto a public toilet? I cath from my chair and do my BP at home, so have never needed (thankfully, so far) to use a public crapper.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Just curious, why do you need to transfer onto a public toilet? I cath from my chair and do my BP at home, so have never needed (thankfully, so far) to use a public crapper.
    Well, I haven't been as lucky as you.

Amen to that, stephen212. Putting my hand on a public toilet is the last thing I'm gonna do immediately prior to cathing. Pooping in public? No way. More about preparation than luck, IMO. My poop stays put until I dig it out, guess thats my good luck!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

i despise the open front seats! i only ever see them in america... if the ada actually expects you to transfer while holding onto the toilet seat and not grabbars, then i suppose that explains the sorry state of us 'disabled access' toilets. in europe and most of the rest of the world, you generally have 3 grabbars within reach the whole time, and you never have to put your hands on the toilet seat. i dont think ive ever done that, and i doubt id have enough balance to transfer that way - which is why when in the us i can only use a restroom with grabbars that are safe enough for me to hold onto, and i have to use at least 1 supplementary suction one.

i truly dont understand why, when the ada covers so much so well, 'accessible' toilets in the us are so inadequate.