Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegics & driving

Quadriplegics & driving

I went for a periodic assessment today and need some new ideas how to work the turn signals (indicators) while one hand accelerates or brakes and the other steers. I don't want to move my hand out of the U grip.

Any ideas from other quads who drive who have no hand function, only tenodesis?
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

i dont use any hand thing on the wheel or hand control. i just bump turn signal up/down, no biggie......reg mpd hgand control
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

AO, have you ever considered tendon transfers?

Onward and upward,

Chris

i have regular hand controls and just learned to slap the thing quickly lol gl!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AO View Post
    I went for a periodic assessment today and need some new ideas how to work the turn signals (indicators) while one hand accelerates or brakes and the other steers. I don't want to move my hand out of the U grip.

Any ideas from other quads who drive who have no hand function, only tenodesis?
    Digitone elbow switch.

Mine is mounted on driver door. My right hand is in tri-pin on steering wheel. My left hand is in tri pin for EGB. With the digitone elbow switch, I control turn signals, wipers, horn, etc.

i have a "rocker" on the tri-pin grip on my gas/break cane... flip the rocker left or right to engage that light...hand never leave the grip

I have regular hand controls. Because the turn signal lever for both my vehicles is above where I grasp the control, I can give it a quick nudge with my wrist without completely taking my hand off the control.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I have regular hand controls. Because the turn signal lever for both my vehicles is above where I grasp the control, I can give it a quick nudge with my wrist without completely taking my hand off the control.
    me too.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i dont use any hand thing on the wheel or hand control. i just bump turn signal up/down, no biggie......reg mpd hgand control
    How do you hold the steering wheel?
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell View Post
    AO, have you ever considered tendon transfers?

Onward and upward,

Chris
    Hi Chris, I'm hopefully seeing a guy for an assessment on Friday. I'm just terrified of surgery, then recovery as well.

Did you find the extra grip made all the difference for driving?
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6