Thread: Hello all....any help appreciated!!

Hello all....any help appreciated!!

8 years ago I started getting a lot of tension in my left shoulder. I ignored it for the first 5 years, stressful job, stressful relationship, stressful life. That must explain it all, right? One day I woke with a terrible pain in my arm, it was fine if I didn't move it, but any movement felt like someone was beating the hell out of me with a bat! Again, excedrine and go about my life....but it got so bad that I could no longer ignore it. When I got out of the shower one day and really looked I noticed that my left shoulder was darn near twice the size of my right...just the muscle, and hard as a brick. I went to the doctor and was given flexeril and told to try stress relief exercises. Turns out this was the same doctor that told me my gallstones where just stomach problems and didn't require anything other than antacids.

Anyway, after going back over and over my insurance from a new job finally kicked in and I was able to see a caring doctor. Got an MRI and nerve conduction study. Wow, what a wake up. Several pinched nerves, several protruding disks, on top of Fibromyalgia, IBS, CFS.....the list goes on. I had a fusion on C6-C7, was supposed to stop the shoulder from the constant 24/7 spasm. Didn't work!! The pain got worse, I had to take so much time from work due to pain I lost my job. My doctor was very compassionate, never questioned my pain, gave me what he could. Finally ended up on Methadone, Oxycodone and Diazapam. This was 2008 and things went along painfully but tolerable until this summer. My stressful relationship ended due in much part to my pain and my meds, so a life change was in order. I moved across Washington state from Spokane to Sedro Woolley where my boys live. I wanted to be a bigger part of their lives, and a huge part of their growing families lives! For several months all is well, I go back to Spokane every 3 months for appointments with my doctor.

At my last appointment I told the truth, my methadone had been stolen...not all of it, but enough to cause an issue for me. So I had taken more of the oxycodone to compensate while trying to get back to Spokane to see my doctor. When I told him this he said he needed to talk to the new medical director. Well, I had gone against my contract....I was booted, fired, done, get out! My doctor did give me one last prescription for morphine, which isn't as strong as the methadone from what he told me, to get me by until I could find a new doctor in my new area.

I am on State aid, I can only see one new doctor a month. How do you just pick a doctor off a list and trust he will not look at you sideways when you tell him how long and how many pain meds you have been on? Didn't go in my favor....he took one look at me and said you are in withdrawals! No, I am not, I am exhausted, I am in pain, but no, definately not in withdrawals!! Yes, he insisted, I had to be, he had worked with addicts for years and he knew the signs. I took the prescription bottle out of my purse and showed him I still had some pain killers, but I had been cutting way back waiting to get in to a new doctor! He still didn't believe me. Now I was under the impression that an addict in withdrawals would take anything they had in order to avoid withdrawals, but this held no water with this guy! He told me that when the withdrawals got bad enough to let him know and we could try suboxzone. Will that help the pain? Well no, but you are 42 and there is nothing to be done, you had the surgery, it failed, nothing can be done, but being an addict will not solve anything so you need to grow up and deal! Wow...what an A**HOLE!!

So now I am searching for a doctor that will look at my old records, see that I am actually in pain and try to help me. I do not want to be on pain killers the rest of my life....I just want my life back! But now I am a mess....no meds for almost 2 weeks now, laying in the fetal position wanting to die. I can't see another doctor for another month due to insurance, but my mom offered me a lifeline. She will send me the money to see someone.....anyone that can help me out until I can find a doctor that will actually help me with the pain while searching for the solution to the cause of the pain.

So after a very long story, if you are still with me here, is there anyone out there that knows of a doctor in the Seattle area that might help me on a cash basis, just until I can find one my insurance will cover? I live in Skagit county...but as my fellow sufferers know, difficult as it may be...I am willing to travel an hour or two for some help! If anyone knows anything in this area, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much for reading!

that contract sucks doesnt it?
    no advice here, but Im facing a similar kind of thing. It may be about impossible to find a doctor who will prescribe opiates.

what a nightmare of a story. I don't have anything to add unfortunately except my sympathy.

Suboxone is being used for pain management. If you get on it you might find it addressing your pain as well as *addiction*.

Hurtsalot
    I feel your pain, both figuratively and literally. What you are going through is happening across this country. It, IMHO, is a power play by Federal and State governments. They have a terrible problem with abuse of oxycodone. Known to them as legal heroin, the DEA and associated state agencies feel the need to control what the medical profession has been unwilling to control. Greed is the motivator. Doctors who don't uphold a high standard for prescribing oxy have saturated the public with ridiculous amounts of oxy scripts. Some not only prescribing, but also filling them in their own pharmacies. Pill mills are rampant here in Florida. The state has little choice. However, they have gone way too far. The compassionate doctor you are looking for is afraid. His/her license is on the line. Stories of Feds using fake patients, going to doctors with stories like yours, have taken many doctors down, loosing their licenses and their freedom. Now, they are checking medical records to assertain if the doctor has over prescribed legit patients. Using what critera I'm not sure. Valid patients, like yourself and many of us, are paying the cost of abusers and doctors of greed. This is a very deep issue, full of debatable issues. It sucks! You, having no insurance, are in the weakest position. I am charged $800.00 every 4 months for a drug piss test! Of course, the insurance only pays a small persentage of this charge and the rest is discounted, except for $50 from me. But, if you have no insurance, you get charged the full amount. Who can afford that? It's just a way to cull out the poor from the crowd. Florida is now considering allocating the amount of oxy, per district, based on the number of people who are enrolled in rehab. I can't even begin to get my mind around that equation or manner of thinking. Ironically, drug companies and doctors are pushing alternate drugs like Opana, that, according to blogs from street abusers, are thrilled with. This drug has a higher bio-effect when shot up than oxy! Switching to oxycotin is another option. It has some scientific validity on a general basis, but not individualized. Also, it is a branded product, no generics, so the drug company likes this. More money! So it turns you into a drooler, who cares? The compassionate doctor is between a rock and a hard place. Many clinics will not accept cash. Again, culling out those that don't have insurance. It's wrong. But, there is no one I'm aware of that is taking up the fight. The chronic pain patients have zero power. So what else is new. I hope you can find what your looking for. Perhaps something good can come of it though. It's the only light at the end of this tunnel I see. God help us all!!
    Last edited by snorp; 09-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

Poor thing. Sounds like a terrible struggle. All of us that have been in pain for years have gone though so many crazy situations. I found that the Methadone helped quite a bit. Not nearly as much as the Oxicontin, but enough to still leave the house for an hour or two a day. I now am down to just taking one 10mg Methadone every 8 hours and can almost cope with life. They are about $110 for a whole months supply at that rate of consumption. Apposed to the Oxy at $1100 per month. And I had to take 60mg every 8 hours. I know every body is different, but it has worked for me and cut my cost by a ton. The insurance has no prob paying for such an inexpensive pill compared to the others at ten times the price. I also now use medical pot witch seems to help, not with the pain itself, but more with the fact that I am living in pain.
    Good luck with your adventure! Wish you the best.

Hurtsalot...please read my post today in the thread "Are we slaves..", where I posted an article from the Seattle Times. Thought of you while I was reading it.
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtsalot View Post
    8 years ago I started getting a lot of tension in my left shoulder. I ignored it for the first 5 years, stressful job, stressful relationship, stressful life. That must explain it all, right? One day I woke with a terrible pain in my arm, it was fine if I didn't move it, but any movement felt like someone was beating the hell out of me with a bat! Again, excedrine and go about my life....but it got so bad that I could no longer ignore it. When I got out of the shower one day and really looked I noticed that my left shoulder was darn near twice the size of my right...just the muscle, and hard as a brick. I went to the doctor and was given flexeril and told to try stress relief exercises. Turns out this was the same doctor that told me my gallstones where just stomach problems and didn't require anything other than antacids.

Anyway, after going back over and over my insurance from a new job finally kicked in and I was able to see a caring doctor. Got an MRI and nerve conduction study. Wow, what a wake up. Several pinched nerves, several protruding disks, on top of Fibromyalgia, IBS, CFS.....the list goes on. I had a fusion on C6-C7, was supposed to stop the shoulder from the constant 24/7 spasm. Didn't work!! The pain got worse, I had to take so much time from work due to pain I lost my job. My doctor was very compassionate, never questioned my pain, gave me what he could. Finally ended up on Methadone, Oxycodone and Diazapam. This was 2008 and things went along painfully but tolerable until this summer. My stressful relationship ended due in much part to my pain and my meds, so a life change was in order. I moved across Washington state from Spokane to Sedro Woolley where my boys live. I wanted to be a bigger part of their lives, and a huge part of their growing families lives! For several months all is well, I go back to Spokane every 3 months for appointments with my doctor.

At my last appointment I told the truth, my methadone had been stolen...not all of it, but enough to cause an issue for me. So I had taken more of the oxycodone to compensate while trying to get back to Spokane to see my doctor. When I told him this he said he needed to talk to the new medical director. Well, I had gone against my contract....I was booted, fired, done, get out! My doctor did give me one last prescription for morphine, which isn't as strong as the methadone from what he told me, to get me by until I could find a new doctor in my new area.

I am on State aid, I can only see one new doctor a month. How do you just pick a doctor off a list and trust he will not look at you sideways when you tell him how long and how many pain meds you have been on? Didn't go in my favor....he took one look at me and said you are in withdrawals! No, I am not, I am exhausted, I am in pain, but no, definately not in withdrawals!! Yes, he insisted, I had to be, he had worked with addicts for years and he knew the signs. I took the prescription bottle out of my purse and showed him I still had some pain killers, but I had been cutting way back waiting to get in to a new doctor! He still didn't believe me. Now I was under the impression that an addict in withdrawals would take anything they had in order to avoid withdrawals, but this held no water with this guy! He told me that when the withdrawals got bad enough to let him know and we could try suboxzone. Will that help the pain? Well no, but you are 42 and there is nothing to be done, you had the surgery, it failed, nothing can be done, but being an addict will not solve anything so you need to grow up and deal! Wow...what an A**HOLE!!

So now I am searching for a doctor that will look at my old records, see that I am actually in pain and try to help me. I do not want to be on pain killers the rest of my life....I just want my life back! But now I am a mess....no meds for almost 2 weeks now, laying in the fetal position wanting to die. I can't see another doctor for another month due to insurance, but my mom offered me a lifeline. She will send me the money to see someone.....anyone that can help me out until I can find a doctor that will actually help me with the pain while searching for the solution to the cause of the pain.

So after a very long story, if you are still with me here, is there anyone out there that knows of a doctor in the Seattle area that might help me on a cash basis, just until I can find one my insurance will cover? I live in Skagit county...but as my fellow sufferers know, difficult as it may be...I am willing to travel an hour or two for some help! If anyone knows anything in this area, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much for reading!
    Good luck Im from Wisconsin been on pain meds for 4years and I had just moved here to Washington state and not one pain clinic wants to take me...Seattle Hospital UW wants to send me to two pysco drs. Really!
    Im having withdraws and going crazy....
    If it werent for my new grand baby I would probaly take my life!