Thread: Science: Compassion = Better Functioning

Science: Compassion = Better Functioning

Coaching With Compassion Can 'Light Up' Human Thoughts

ScienceDaily (Nov. 19, 2010) – Coaching happens just about everywhere, and every day, with learning as the goal.

Effective coaching can lead to smoothly functioning organizations, better productivity and potentially more profit. In classrooms, better student performance can occur. Doctors or nurses can connect more with patients. So, doing coaching right would seem to be a natural goal, and it has been a major topic of research at Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management since 1990.

For all the energy and money spent on coaching, there is little understanding about what kind of interactions can contribute to or detract from effectiveness. Ways of coaching can and do vary widely, due to a lack of understanding of the psycho-physiological mechanisms which react to positive or negative stimulus.

Internally funded research at Case Western Reserve has documented reactions in the human brain to compassionate and critical coaching methods. The results start to reveal the mechanisms by which learning can be enhanced through coaching with compassion (a method that emphasizes the coached individual's own goals).

Read more: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1117184501.htm

Talking Points:

-- “We know that people respond much better to a coach they find inspiring and who shows compassion for them, rather than one who they perceive to be judging them.”

-- "By spending 30 minutes talking about a person's desired, personal vision, we could light up (activate) the parts of the brain 5-7 days later that are associated with cognitive, perceptual and emotional openness and better functioning . . . "

Daryl, in regards to 'caregiving', how do you feel couching (of whom and in what ways) can result in compassion=better functioning (for whom and in what ways)?

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Daryl, in regards to 'caregiving', how do you feel couching (of whom and in what ways) can result in compassion=better functioning (for whom and in what ways)?
    As someone who has been the recipient of care (physical therapy) I experienced both a "compassionate" and "neutral" physical therapist.
    I approached the exercises given (and coached through) by the compassionate physical therapist with mild enthusiasm / optimism ("let's see how this goes"). I wanted to do the exercises.
    On the other hand, I approached the exercises given (and coached through) by the "neutral" physical therapist with more of an "I have to do these dang things" and "I don't know how this is gonna work" (confusion and self-doubt).

As someone who is a caregiver my approach is more along the lines of "hey, let's try it". And "it's ok, today's a bad day, tomorrow'll be better".
    On the really bad days it's: "We . . . Are . . . Alive!"
    Last edited by Darryl; 11-20-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarity

Irrespective of its religious associations, the injunction to do unto others as you would have done unto you is worth remembering...more than a command, I think it is a statement of psychological fact: We do unto others exactly as we do unto ourselves. We are our own laboratories. If I don't treat myself kindly, I can't possibly know what it is to extend kindness to others in a widening circle. This is a hard lesson to practice sometimes, especially in circumstances where one truly has brought pain upon oneself and can't escape the consequences. Taking responsibility vs. burdening oneself with blame/shame is a major life lesson, and I'm still learning it...I try to remember that if I would not heap abuse on someone else for something he/she feels or did, then as a person I am equally worthy of compassion. The article raises good points, Darryl. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    . . .. We are our own laboratories. . .
    I find this statement to be profound and causes me to look at this "constant push and pull" that many of us experience within ourselves from a different perspective. Our "experiment" is ongoing. Thank you, Bonnette.

Along these lines, this is one of my "favorite tunes" with the words:
    Some might say they don't believe in heaven
    Go and tell it to the man who lives in hell
    Some might say you get what you've been givin'
    If you don't get yours I won't get mine as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLR3FRaFsQ

Those are beautiful lyrics, and I enjoyed the video, too...thank you for both, Darryl.