Thread: Fetal Stem Cell Trial Starts for Stroke Patients, Spinal Cord Patients up Next

Fetal Stem Cell Trial Starts for Stroke Patients, Spinal Cord Patients up Next

Fetal Stem Cell Trial Starts for Stroke Patients, Spinal Cord Patients up Next

The United States is still bogged down in uncertainty over which stem cell science the government can and can’t fund, but that doesn’t mean the march of research has ground to a halt. This week brought news of two new human stem cell treatments that are going forward.
    In Britain, a former truck driver in his 60s who suffered a stroke has now become the first person to receive an experimental stem cell treatment for the condition. Doctors injected two million fetal stem cells developed by British company ReNeuron into his brain with the hope of stimulating the growth of brain cells and blood vessels.

The patient received a very low dose of stem cells in an initial trial to assess the safety of the procedure. Over the next year, up to 12 more patients will be given progressively higher doses – again primarily to assess safety – but doctors will be looking closely to see if the stem cells have begun to repair their brains and if their condition has improved. [BBC News]

If those treatments go well, those higher doses could go as high as 10 to 20 million cells. ReNeuron scientist John Sinden explains that the fetal cells were taken from a 12-week-old fetus, and were already destined to become brain cells. This treatment is thought to have fewer uncertainties than those that use embryonic stem cells, which can grow into any type of cell and which can sometimes cause tumors.

read...

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...ients-up-next/

Please Help

I am a 25 year old girl and I am a spinal stroke patient. I had a stroke in the lower part of my back in 2008. It has been 3 years now. I have tried physical therapy 3 times a week but I never had the modivation to continue working at the therapy at home. lI have very limited movement in my legs and no movement in torso. I have no strenght in my torso to keep me balenced what so ever. What is the chance of getting my strenght back? Will I ever get on my feet again? Does this researce help people like me? Please write me back.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie25 View Post
    I am a 25 year old girl and I am a spinal stroke patient. I had a stroke in the lower part of my back in 2008. It has been 3 years now. I have tried physical therapy 3 times a week but I never had the modivation to continue working at the therapy at home. lI have very limited movement in my legs and no movement in torso. I have no strenght in my torso to keep me balenced what so ever. What is the chance of getting my strenght back? Will I ever get on my feet again? Does this researce help people like me? Please write me back.
    Hi Stephanie,

I have checked Manouli's link, and the article definitely refers to fetal cells. I checked this particularly as sometimes fetus and embryo are used interchangeably. Much promise is shown will adult stem cells.

Your other point is very timely, as I and others have touched on it. Motivation is all very well, but physio probably only benefits in incomplete injury. From what you say you are incomplete. However, you need resources to bear fruition on the exercise front. Many of us cannot afford some of the equipment needed, this often as in my case after a very substantial outlay for door widening, ramps, and completely new wing for a wet room and bedroom. £3000 were needed to provide a kitchen rise and fall bench. Those who have a private gym are rare, (I go to a local gym) and much of the equipment has, in addition to a hefty outlay, has a large footprint. Good luck with your efforts!
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Even a successful treatment of fetal cell therapy would require huge effort in continued therapy at home. 2 hours a day 6 days a week are minimum to reprogram the brain once movement has been lost. No miracles here, just treatment and hard work.

This trial is listed and described in http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...eneuron&rank=1

Dear Stephanie
    Its quite a long time since you wrote your original comments above and I realise that the concept of home therapy may have daunting implications in terms of equipment. Similarly when I came out of a rehab hospital in a very weak state, I felt for weeks that i could not improve my strength without the sophisticated equipment found in the hospital and gym.

This in fact has turned out to be a misconception and nearly all my therapy is done at home now using rather simple low cost aids. These are suspension straps, springs, therapy balls, mats, weights, electrostim equipment (Neurotech), walking bars, pulleys, wall pins, etc. The physios who visited my house were sceptical and nervous but I went ahead anyway with these simple measures and now I am walking. The cost of the equipment excluding the electro stim equipment (which I have on loan) is about 50 euro. Some muscles had 0/5 response even under stimulation. Now they are working.

I could send some photos of these simple things if you want. They might help. You needs a handy man to help put some of the stuff in place.

Regards

Oconnor