Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PVA / ASCIP Separation

I hope you are right, Steve, but I still am very skeptical that the organizaiton can pull this off without the $$$ previously provided by the PVA (and EPVA before that). We shall see. Regardless, I won't be at the conference next year as it is too expensive for me, esp. without the PVA grant. If dues double or triple, I think you will see membership drop preciptiously. I will be attending the ASIA/ISCoS meeting, which for me has more substantial content anyway.

(KLD)

Tonight, I reread the entire conversation about ASCIP. I appreciate the statements of support from Wise and SK. I would like to quell the thought that the BOD of ASCIP did 'something wrong'. SK so aptly stated, 'times are a changing'. The contributions of EPVA, United Spinal and PVA to ASCIP (and the 3 previous organizations) were tremendous. APS, AASCIP, AASCIPSW and the Therapy Leadership are tremendously grateful.
    Now the Academy has pulled up their boot straps and is moving on. We have secured a new management company, have a new publisher for the JSCM and are planning a conference. Not bad for a 2 year old organization to accomplish in 15 days. I hope my SCI colleagues continue to support 'the premiere SCI organization'. Our future is in the commitment of our members and future members.
    Now the Academy has pulled up their boot staps and are moving on. We have secured a new management company, have a new publisher for the JSCM and are planning a conference. Not bad for a 2 year old organization to accomplish in 15 days. I hope my SCI colleagues continue to supoport 'the primere SCI organization'. Our future is in the commitment of our memebrs and future members.
    Please feel free to contact me a ma-reilly@sbcglobal.net
    Mary Ann

ASCIP @ academscipro.org

Dear members
    Let me begin by extending wishes for a wonderful new year. The Governance Board, Section Boards and committees of the Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals look forward to the coming year. As you now know, we have a new management company, FIRM (Futures in Rehabilitation Management), and we are extremely pleased with their work on our behalf. With the Electronic Communication Committee, the new website is rapidly evolving. FIRM staff have worked diligently behind the scenes on critical infrastructure tasks. One major accomplishment includes our communication link to members. They are also developing member only opportunities including access to a membership directory. More information will follow.
    I would like to introduce our new executive director, Denny O'Malley. We are so appreciative of Denny's guidance and support in the last few months in navigating the many changes we have faced. We are pleased and grateful that he will continue with ASCIP.
    We are pleased to announce the revised dates and location of our 2011 Annual Conference at the Rio All-Suite Resort in Las Vegas, Monday, September 5 through Wednesday, September 7. The Academy Program Committee will be forwarding additional information. Through the FIRM, we have secured a great contract with incredible room rates and conference site.
    Finally, Maney publishers is finalizing the first of 6 editions of 2011 which promises to be a particularly strong edition with a fresh cover design.
    Best regards-
    Terrie
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-04-2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Resize graphics

Got that message today. Interesting leap back in time...Las Vegas again (instead of the previously announced Orlando), for the very unpopular (with members) same Labor Day week we used to do. Requirement to travel on a holiday weekend, interfering with start of school for those with kids, etc. etc. Same hotel where ARN will be in November as well, which right now is more attractive to me, esp. as there will no longer be any grants for VA SCI staff from the PVA to help defray the high costs.

Just as a side, I have decided to no longer support the PVA through my CFC contributions (for the first time in 21 years) due to this "divorce" , and I let a number of PVA officers know this in the last few weeks.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just as a side, I have decided to no longer support the PVA through my CFC contributions (for the first time in 21 years) due to this "divorce" , and I let a number of PVA officers know this in the last few weeks.

(KLD)
    That is a shocking un-endorsement. I have to wonder if the PVA feel they were spreading themselves too thin (or something?).