Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Razorblade Jr. is here!

I see a future paraolympian in the works there WC. He's got that look in his eyes that he is gonna whip the world and not take names.

Way to go. The chair will need some adjusting. They all do, I know for some of us it takes a year to get it really dialed in.

I'm envious of the great lookin' chair and he looks like one heck of a kid. Would love to have him in one of my classes.

fit design, cute yet cool.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by WCmom View Post
    It's a good thing the tippers are there! He's already fell backwards once! I had them flipped up so he did go all the way to the floor. Thankfully, he's got a tall back and headrest. He was more shocked than anything. While he continued to "practice" I flipped them back down. Good thing cause those suckers have made contact with the floor 12x now. geez! He's such a boy lol
    yep, it's fun to "practice." I do it all the time. I've lost track of how many times my anti-tippers have hit the floor, but I remember very well the two times I hit my head when I was too proud to use them. I'm no longer too proud - I like my anti-tippers!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Glad to see you've got the chair! That arrived pretty quickly, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by WCmom View Post
    It's a good thing the tippers are there! He's already fell backwards once! I had them flipped up so he did go all the way to the floor. Thankfully, he's got a tall back and headrest. He was more shocked than anything. While he continued to "practice" I flipped them back down. Good thing cause those suckers have made contact with the floor 12x now. geez! He's such a boy lol
    Looking at your photos, to protect your feet when pushing, and also to help with curbs, you might want to look at getting the anti-tips moved in a bit (ie so that they don't stick as far out the back as they currently do). Obviously there is a point at which they won't do their job properly, but you should be able to move them in a bit. We moved our son's inwards, and they do the job of not letting him fall backwards, yet he can still sit and watch TV while leaning back on the anti-tips (who needs a recliner?!?). The other comments made above (ie widening the anti-tips) will also help. We tend to push with just one handle, and walk to the side (or else not use handles and just hold his hand, which helps build up his muscles!).

We've not tried it yet, but I do like Amyk's idea of rollerblade wheels as the anti-tips...if nothing else, it would sound a lot quieter on our wooden floorboards!

If wheelies are a problem (I'm not sure if your son was deliberately trying to wheelie, or if it was unintentional), then you could move the cog forwards, by moving the wheels backwards on the frame slightly.

With his feet not touching the footplate at the moment, just keep an eye on the back of his knees for redness, as the front of the seat could rub on his legs there. Once you get the footplate spacers/build-up, the (potential) problem should go away.

Like Patrick says, they all need adjusting, and with a growing child, even more so! You will soon be an expert at "chair engineering"!!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

WCmom, Hayden is ADORABLE! His chair is pretty awesome too! For the rear wheels, call the person you ordered it from & see if you can exchange the 22" for the 24" wheels. They MAY be able to do that for you, it's still new & he's having difficulty maneuvering it because he can't reach the wheels correctly. This may make a HUGE difference for him. As for the anti-tippers, Amy already gave you a description of what I've done, and I'll search for my pics, I had them on a colours chair as well. It was a little bit of an experiment to get it so that it was at the right height & didn't cause issues w/curbs. Some of that comes from the adjustment of where the bracket is mounted.

You mentioned he can walk some but he fatigues easily. Does he use a gait trainer for walking?

I'd love to be able to physically help you with the adjustments on the chair as I've fidgeted with every chair I've had(and most of the ones my brother has used since I was a pre-teen) to get everything right to what I want...and then some...I've been the family wheelchair mechanic since before I was injured.

Oh yeah, the footplate, I flipped my colours footplate upside down so that it raised the level a couple inches higher, my feet dangled off of it a bit w/out doing so also...They do have an adaption, but it makes the chair look really bulky...I didn't like it personally....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

that wasnt just my idea with the rollerblade wheels! i had just nervously told tilite what i wanted them to do on my new chair back in 2006 when i was delighted to find photos of brokenwings exact same mod here, with a description of how i (theoretically) thought it might work. one other major advantage i have is that someone can push me up an airplane aisle by removing the rear wheels and using the antitippers like travel wheels if im in a hurry and cant wait around for the airport guys to deplane me...

i dont think it will be a solution to move them wider, if his chair is that narrow... mine is 14" wide and still has to be pushed from the side.

i wouldnt move the wheels back any - possibly even forward a bit, but keep the antitippers on all the time. it will be easier for both him and you to raise the casters for a crack or little bump.

I could definitely use some help on moving the rear seat height down and adjusting these tippers for curbs. I've tinkered with the other equipment we've had, but I just don't SEE where they adjustments are made here so Im hesitant to take a wrench to it.

He doesn't use a gait trainer. He wears DAFOs but walks without support.
    Aspergers,hypotonic CP, Autonomic Issues.

Disney OBSESSED family

according to the website, on the razorblade jr front and rear heights are fixed. were you told otherwise before ordering? the sabre jr looks quite similar to the rjr, but is adjustable.

http://colourswheelchair.com/product...orblade_jr.htm

if you switch from 22" to 24", it will make them come higher, but dont forget it will also up his rear seat height. it may be that if you drop him down to 20" wheels, it will make him sit a bit lower too, so while the relative distance between his seat height and the tyre tops may not be improved any, he might sit 'in' the chair more.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    according to the website, on the razorblade jr front and rear heights are fixed. were you told otherwise before ordering? the sabre jr looks quite similar to the rjr, but is adjustable.

http://colourswheelchair.com/product...orblade_jr.htm
    No. the manual sent home with us has instructions for it but the pictures of the parts don't match but it didn't say NOT the razorblade. I thought it looked pretty fixed but the way the manual reads, it sounded like it could be done. The only way I could see it being done was with a new axle plate piece thing.
    Aspergers,hypotonic CP, Autonomic Issues.

Disney OBSESSED family