Thread: Drink lots of fluids

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Question Drink lots of fluids

I have always followed the general edict of staying well hydrated with an indwelling cath. Just curious if anyone has established upper and/or lower limits on how much liquid accomplishes the goal.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Hi,

It is usually recommended SCI folks drink 2-3 liters a day regardless of catheter, unless you have a medical condition (such as cardiac) that prohibits that.

AAd

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the color of your pee is generally a good indicator of wether drinking enough water, although some medicines and vitamins will also affect the color too. i've starting using animal paks and i think my pee would glow in the dark now.

Blog Entries
    I asked because the blood work from my last physical showed both my sodium and chloride levels down again this year. I may be over indulging in water.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Somewhere and some time ago (not sure where or when), I read an article that suggested drinking half of your body weight in ounces. Thus, if you weight 135 lbs, you would drink 67 ounces of fluids per day. That is a little over 2 quarts. It was suggested in the article that this formula helps to maintain a balanced blood chemistry. It sounds to me as if this weight rule of thumb comes close to the 2 to 3 liter recommendation sited by AAD.

My uro said to keep urine @ a light yellowish clear. If it stays clear, clear, you're drinking too much & it's very dangerous. Yellow, then not enough. Aaah, what a battle!

Gallon of water per day here. I have a high protein diet w/ that you gotta drink. I rarely get uti's thou. My pee is generally glow in the dark neon yellow from all the supplements i take.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I mentally keep track of what I have drunk each day, and have done so now for so many years it is like second nature. I drink a minimum of 2 liters/day.