Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Organic substitute for Baclofen

Imight,

Sounds like you are doing what Ryan calls the "Happy Colon Dance". He also suffers from what I consider severs clonus. It is so bad after therapy that he can barely transfer back to his chair. The spasms are there but not severe. He has reduced his baclofen from a total of 140 mg per day to now 80 mg a day with no notable difference in the clonus. He has tried several other drugs and his physiatrist is pushing a baclofen pump. Ryan is resisting as it is not as if his spasms are sending him out of his chair, keeping him up at night, or causing uncontrolled movements. We agree that the pump is appropriate for some people but since he is prone to infection (no spleen) and reacts to sulfa drugs (bowels shut down-that is why we know the happy colon dance), a surgical implant is his last resort.

It looks like I am going to the vitamin shoppe tomorrow and will talk to his primary doc (very open minded and realized that Ryan knows his body best). Ryan is the definition of an Incomplete-he likes to say he is completely incomplete and walking is in his future once the ortho issues are better resolved and his brain figures it out. He is an Incomplete C-2, ASIA D, with TBI from where the tip of C-2 went into his brain stem. He tells docs that he did not read the book and his body refuses to follow any predictable course. He is doing the rehab thing his way. I think this may be an answer for the clonus-can't hurt, right.--eak

Anyone with success using Damiana? The spasticity pain in my left side is becoming unbearable, but I don't want to start another addictive drug. I just got off Oxycodone (but had to take some this past weekend because of the pain)....Arrhhhh!
    1/23/10 Acute Herniation C5/C6 causing SCI @ C5
    3/3/10 ACDF C5/6 & C6/7
    2/11/11 ACDF C3/4 & C4/5

Some quick research on Damiana for those interested:

Damiana (Turnera diffusa Wild ex Schult) is a small shrub belonging to the family Turneraceae. It grows in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean Islands, and parts of South America, and is traditionally used as an phrodisiac and for liver ailments, depression, nerve disorders, and as an expectorant, stimulant, or tonic (11–13); it is also used to enhance the flavor in desserts, beverages, and sweets (14).We reported recently that the aerial part of the plant (stems and leaves) showed antioxidant activity similar to quercetine, used as the control (15).
    - Development and Validation of an HPLC-DAD Analytical Procedure for Quality Control of Damiana (Turnera diffusa), Using an Antioxidant Marker Isolated from the Plant. (2010). Journal of AOAC International, 93(4), 1161-1168. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

The paper also notes that while testing 11 commercial products sold as Damiana, only 5 actually contained it.

It appears it is used as a performance enhancing drug as well because:

University of Mississippi (Oxford) researchers discovered that damiana leaf extract inhibited the aromatase enzyme, which converts testosterone into estrogen in the body.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoHokie View Post
    Anyone with success using Damiana? The spasticity pain in my left side is becoming unbearable, but I don't want to start another addictive drug. I just got off Oxycodone (but had to take some this past weekend because of the pain)....Arrhhhh!
    Negative... and it's not addictive.

I noticed no changes after taking it 9-10 days, though a couple days in there I only took it 1x vs 2x. I may give it another try, as I still have plenty left.

Just another herbal placebo scam.