Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil and spinal cord injury

Fish oil and spinal cord injury

Monday, 15 November 2010
    Fish oil and spinal cord injury

We're always being told fish oil is good for us. Eat more oily fish. Well apparently there is accumulating evidence, according to S. J. Gladman, that fish oils, and in particular a class of fish oils known as Omega-3, has some remarkable therapeutic potential in a number of disorders of the nervous system, including trauma. Using a cell-based model to replicate the mechanical stretch axons experience around the injury site of a cord lesion, the group from London, who are developing this concept and hope to take it to clinical trial in the near future, have shown significant reduction in cell death after treatment with Omega-3.

read...http://spinal-research.blogspot.com/...rd-injury.html

So we are supose to take fish oil? I currently don't...
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

I take it one a day with meals. You can get at to of them for cheap

My Dr. has had me taking it for 5-6 yrs now trying to help my chol level but have NOT noticed anything with the SCI with it......and I think it's suppose to be a heart healthy product.

Quote Originally Posted by drew82586 View Post
    So we are supose to take fish oil? I currently don't...
    I was thinking the same thing.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I started taking Megared Omega-3 Krill oil gel tablets last week. The benefits of taking krill oil is it`s not supposed to give you aftertaste like fish oil does. Also you should refrigerate after opening bottles.

We purchased some Omega-3 at Vitamin World. They come in a red bottle and do not give you any type of aftertaste or burping taste of fish.

Never thought about refrigerating them. We gave some other bottles that we got at the grocery to my brother in law. I will share this trick!

I think anyone -especially SCI- should build a relationship with a good nutritionist. Spend some time researching what is recommended you take. There's heaps of info on the net regarding EFA's. Regarding fish oil, it's important to find a high quality pharmaceutical grade source unladen with heavy metals and toxins. I rotate fish oil with flax and hemp oil, again, tons of info on this to be had.

One of the nutritionists I see enforced the importance of actually sticking out the prescribed regimen, that I probably wouldn't start seeing results for months. I was guilty of taking a little this, a little that. Four years post injury, I've begun sleeping through most the night because my nerves have quieted and I don't kick all night long. The body needs sleep to repair and overall my tone has lessened and spasms decreased. I've noticed the nerve signals that remain are firing better. Not an overnight miracle, but a slight improvement when they are slow and rare to otherwise come by. Anyways, I digress but again find a nutritionist you click with, experiment, stay the course and see what happens.

Flax oil is very good, and does not lead to "fishy" after tastes. It is acceptable to vegans and vegetarians, (if animal gelatines are not used for caplets). It contains omega -3,-6 and -9 fatty acids.

Health stores stack the capsules, but may also sell bottles of the oil which can be poured over cereals etc. It's chief benefits are in lowering LDL cholesterol and the cardio-vascular system in general.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    Flax oil is very good, and does not lead to "fishy" after tastes. It is acceptable to vegans and vegetarians, (if animal gelatines are not used for caplets). It contains omega -3,-6 and -9 fatty acids.

Health stores stack the capsules, but may also sell bottles of the oil which can be poured over cereals etc. It's chief benefits are in lowering LDL cholesterol and the cardio-vascular system in general.
    +1 on the Flax comment. And it makes you poo good too. ;-)