Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dead donor is needed for a double leg transplant

A dead donor is needed for a double leg transplant

In April it was announced that they will perform the double leg transplant surgery, and now a dead donor is needed.

Doctors in Spain are looking for a suitable match from a dead donor to carry out the world's first leg transplant, the health ministry said Tuesday.

The ministry's transplant commission last May authorised Valencia's Hospital de la Fe to carry out the procedure, which will involve both legs, a spokeswoman said.

If successful, the operation would be the first leg transplant in the world, she said, and could offer hope to millions of amputees and injured war veterans.

"They are looking for a suitable donor. We still don't know the date, it could be in two months or six months, it all depends on when an adequate donor is found," the spokeswoman said.

The recipient will be an unidentified man who had both legs amputated above the knee after an accident. He faces life in a wheelchair because prosthetic limbs are not suitable for him.

The transplant commission has also authorised the hospital to carry out Spain's fourth face transplant, the health ministry said in a statement.

The announcement was made an international conference on organ transplants in Madrid, it said.

"Transplants of hands, arms or faces from dead people were science fiction just a decade ago and today they are a splendid reality at our hospitals," the director of Spain's National Organisation of Transplants, Rafael Matesanz, said at the conference, according to the statement.

Of the 13 face transplants carried out so far around the world, seven were carried out in France, three in Spain, two in the United States and one in China, according to Spain's health ministry.
    .........more on source: google news
    This signature left intentionally blank.

wow

Transplanting concepts have been around for ages
    The key to anything new is anti rejection medicine regimine .

For instance I have metal plates , screws in my neck and lower head
    Metal is a foreighn object and I have problems with them Transplanting metal in my neck

I think this will be wonderfull if the patient walks again !!!
    Then I will really believe that procedures like this are great ...
    More power to the people

I hope they find a suitable donor

Not sure how I feel about this, as a perfectly healthy amputee could easily end up a dead one because of all too common rejection issues.

Exactly Eileen !!!
    Well spoken it definitely is not just a simple procedure but alot of red flags following the actual rejoining Healing and probable complications afterwards ..

Many years ago I wont mention the type of intricate surgery but a Dr ( surgeon ) tried transplanting organs in another person
    The end result was quite drastic and fatal . But the Recipent thought it was essential and in the long run
    No one won

Rejection is one of those horrific risks

Eileen it makes me wonder why someone ( amputee ) would actually push the Threshhold barrier of life when they possibly could have just done as well with prosthetics , Some years ago I had a room mate she was a double amputee and I remember the happiness in her face when she stood tall on her new prosthetic legs
    Boy I was so proud of her .

What do you think ?

all I can say is I'm glad they made sure to specify they were looking for a dead donor!
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    all I can say is I'm glad they made sure to specify they were looking for a dead donor!
    I guess we should be grateful that we wouldn't be on anyone's procurement list as potential donors!

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Exactly Eileen !!!
    Well spoken it definitely is not just a simple procedure but alot of red flags following the actual rejoining Healing and probable complications afterwards ..

Many years ago I wont mention the type of intricate surgery but a Dr ( surgeon ) tried transplanting organs in another person
    The end result was quite drastic and fatal . But the Recipent thought it was essential and in the long run
    No one won

Rejection is one of those horrific risks

Eileen it makes me wonder why someone ( amputee ) would actually push the Threshhold barrier of life when they possibly could have just done as well with prosthetics , Some years ago I had a room mate she was a double amputee and I remember the happiness in her face when she stood tall on her new prosthetic legs
    Boy I was so proud of her .

What do you think ?
    I knew someone years ago who was a high level para. For reasons unrelated to his paralysis he eventually had to have bi-lateral amputation of both legs. While it is nothing anyone wants to have happen, it was necessary for medical reasons. Afterwards his transfers were lightning fast, without the ballast of having legs to move around. Most amputee's (standard issue, not already paralyzed) do really well with prosthetics, so I can't even imagine the mindset of someone looking to be the recipient of "donated legs." It just seems too odd to me, and a little nauseating too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I guess we should be grateful that we wouldn't be on anyone's procurement list as potential donors!
    How do we know were not. That is scary and I'm now easy to catch!

I have Cadavers bone parts in me lol talk about crazy

Some years back after my Freak motorcycle accident I was in a coma and heard everything that was said while I was on life support
    Because I am a Old Schooled Motorcycle enthusiest

The people working on me called me a ( Donor Cyclist )

It only made me a stronger woman Today
    I just know that life is too special for such sarcasm .

After I was moved from one room to another they referred to me again as The
    ( Donor Cyclist ) I woke up and asked my mom to help me write a letter so We wrote them a letter to let them all know that even though I was in a coma I was able to hear .

All I care about is living and being happy