Thread: Study: 1 of 7 Medicare patients injured during hospital stay

Study: 1 of 7 Medicare patients injured during hospital stay

By www.naplesnews.com
    Posted November 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm

A new federal study ( http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-09-00090.pdf ) shows that one in seven Medicare beneficiaries who are hospitalized are harmed in some manner during their hospital stay and the harm costs the federal health insurance program more than $4 billion a year.

The adverse incidents experienced by hospitalized seniors include infections, medical errors, substandard care and lack of patient monitoring, according to the Office of Inspector General for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The study says that of the one million Medicare beneficiaries discharged from hospitals in the month of October, 2008, a projected 134,000 of them experienced at least one adverse incident. Of those, the event contributed to 15,000 deaths in a single month.

Read more: http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/...uring-hospita/
    Last edited by Darryl; 11-16-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: URL for federal study added

Medical Mistakes plague Medicare Patients

"Physicians determined that about one in seven patients (13.5%) experienced at least one serious instance of harm from medical care that prolonged their hospital stay, caused permanent harm, required life-sustaining intervention, or contributed to their deaths."

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...son16_ST_N.htm

I think this says more about the poor quality of medical care in the US than it does about Medicare patients specifically. We like to think that we have quality medicine, but often it is sadly lacking compared to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I think this says more about the poor quality of medical care in the US than it does about Medicare patient specifically.
    That's what I'm thinking, too. It's probably more like 1 in 7 patients are significantly injured in-hospital, regardless of their insurance coverage or lack of same.

It really is the system as a whole, not just Medicare patients, although they may be victims more often because they are less able to fend for themselves. Most hospitals are terribly understaffed because of cost-cutting measures that began as far back as the 1980s. Administrators say they have the required staff-patient ratios. However, the ratios have been manipulated. When there are not enough staff, they make errors rushing and cutting corners, and neglect is common. Because they are short staffed, staff cannot be spared to attend meaningful inservice programs, etc. It all leads to poor, and often dangerous care. In this area, it is curtains on seriously ill patients who do not have a family or other support system to care for them while they are hospitalized. It is a classic example of a penny wise, pound foolish approach to cost cutting.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I agree - it's the system, not Medicare per se. Medicare offers a relatively convenient way to gather statistics.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I think this says more about the poor quality of medical care in the US than it does about Medicare patients specifically. We like to think that we have quality medicine, but often it is sadly lacking compared to other countries.
    Exactly! It's about mistakes made by physicians, not who pays for it.

that is all but too true. i spent my bday this year in the damn icu for no real reason at all as i had gone in with a uti. i spent 9 days at that awful hospital to be discharged to return to a county facility where they lost my clothes and my car was vandalized. too bad too sad they refused to listen to me when i told them i could NOT take the generic version of zanaflex. due to their incompetence i wound up spending 3 weeks in various hospitals. and i still have the same freakin UTI...it's enterococcus and likely vre since a dose or two of vancomyacin has not helped at all. oh well watch me die from a UTI..i'm over it already.

Hi
    I have experienced this weirdness 4 years back it was like a bad dream
    Dr's , Nurses were all scatterbrained Not paying attention to the patients .

Yet there I was on a gurny / hosp bed waiting for over 3 hours as I had very bad almost seizure spasm attacks
    Dear Med Dr's
    Please place your left hand flat on your computer screen
    Now Take your Right hand and place it on the right side of your television

Can you feel the power ????

Hi I've been thinking about this quite alot

I remember a Dr who is breaking his butt to help ppl and stay within the paper mess trail /cutbacks etc... He is a close friend of mine and is stressed out at the newly changes and so forth .He is at breaking point of literally quitting and refocusing .
    Personally I couldnt say that every health problem is a result of hospital standards

Sadly due to massive cutbacks most staff are underpaid and overworked .
    It is easier to blame others than to look at the whole picture .

Actually it is a political jungle out there so who is at fault ?

SCI individuals are more prone to uti's anyways
    If the 1 in 7 statistic is a problem We then are in deep water because at least
    We Do have medicare / medicaid

What do people expect ?
    Farm Aid ?

Any medicare is better than none
    Speaking for myself I will not bite the hand that feeds me and helps me when I need medical aid

We all are free to voice our opinions so let the ball roll down the bowling aisle and hit some pins !

As it is right now I am not going to add to this post no more / you all are free to say whateveryou all want

We need new stories and ideas to collaborate on
    Or else weare just spinning our wheels