Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop foot recovery

Smile Drop foot recovery

Hi there guys,

Well, here is my story, I was in a quite serious motorcycle accident beginning of the year (29 Jan) and I had damage in my back and my left leg. the back is fine at the moment, but I had a lot of trouble with my leg, mainly the drop foot, I could push my foot downwards fine, but pulling/moving it upwards was completely impossible.

I went through some tests and the doctor came to the conclusion that there is a blockage on the nerve that is supposed to enable you to lift your foot up, so I went in for surgery and it became better day by day about a week after surgery. I am currently at the stage where I can lift my foot up, but it is very weak still, so I can do it just enough so that I don't need a brace or something to walk and keep my foot up.

Bottom line is, I really need some exercises that I can do to try and get my ankle/foot stronger so that I won't damage it more by walking strange and maybe hurting myself. I could not use my foot for about 7 months so it has gotten quite weak, the only thing that I did well do is stretch it so it would not get stiff.

Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry if this was covered somewhere before, I tried searching but I could not get anything that resembles my problem!

Leunis

Welcome to the forum, Leunis. Are you in a good physical therapy program? Do you see a physiatrist? I have severe footdrop and it's unknown how much of that could have been prevented if I'd had access to gait training with knowledgeable PTs...it's not simply a matter of exercise, but of retraining your body which has not walked properly for seven months. It's remarkable that you're able to ambulate without an AFO at this point, and I urge you to make every effort to shore up your progress with high-quality guidance from an experienced physiatrist and a physical therapy program tailored specifically to your needs. Best wishes on your continued recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by Leunis View Post
    Hi there guys,

Well, here is my story, I was in a quite serious motorcycle accident beginning of the year (29 Jan) and I had damage in my back and my left leg. the back is fine at the moment, but I had a lot of trouble with my leg, mainly the drop foot, I could push my foot downwards fine, but pulling/moving it upwards was completely impossible.

I went through some tests and the doctor came to the conclusion that there is a blockage on the nerve that is supposed to enable you to lift your foot up, so I went in for surgery and it became better day by day about a week after surgery. I am currently at the stage where I can lift my foot up, but it is very weak still, so I can do it just enough so that I don't need a brace or something to walk and keep my foot up.

Bottom line is, I really need some exercises that I can do to try and get my ankle/foot stronger so that I won't damage it more by walking strange and maybe hurting myself. I could not use my foot for about 7 months so it has gotten quite weak, the only thing that I did well do is stretch it so it would not get stiff.

Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry if this was covered somewhere before, I tried searching but I could not get anything that resembles my problem!

Leunis
    This device can serve as a temporary solution.
    It has an excercise feature and allows you to walk safely while rehabilitating your dorsi flexors.
    It a expensive option; but an option. I have used the device daily and it has served me well

http://www.bioness.com/NESS_L300_for_Foot_Drop.php

I had the opposite of you.

I broke my spine at L1... But my drop foot was no plantar flexion (pushing down) and no dorsiflexion (pulling up)

I had a PT who taught me to pull my feet up with thera bands, and doing 100 pulls at 10 reps a day which would average to about 1000 pulls a day.... I did this for about 3 months straight and with time I got my dorsiflexion back.... I started doing it with inversion and eversion and also got that back... Now I am working on doing it with plantar flexion but it is slower than the other two because my muscles atrophied so I have to stretch them back for my foot to be able to plant fully.

I suggest trying this method...

Good luck!

toe raises towards the ceiling....might be just toes at first then hopefully strenghten to the ankle....working the shin muscle, (anterior tibialis muscle) on the front side of your lower leg. It flexes the foot upwards, the same muscle that hurts if u get shin splints...............
    im sure there are forums for u out there.......i mean, yea everyone is obviously welcome, but this is a spinal cord injury site...

Leunis
    hence y u cant find a drop foot post........

in therapy they used things that were like huge rubber bands, one end tied stationary, the other around your foot. they used thicker ones for more resistance, and added repititions to grow strength.

I tried searching but I could not get anything that resembles my problem!
    There are a number of posts mentioning footdrop, but most of them are in threads about AFOs (ankle-foot orthotics) and other mobility aids.

@Bonnette

Yes I have seen somebody for quite some time already because I had the gait that you mentioned, I saw her for a coulpe of months and it really did help a lot, thank you for the reply, I will be sure to use your suggestions!

@roc21

My apologies, I did not notice I was in the wrong place, google can do that sometimes

@Everybody

Thank you for the replies, I will be sure to make use of everything that I can! Really, thank you

no apology needed...was just pointing out that this is a spinal cord site, and that u would prob find more info elsewhere.....

Yes I have seen somebody for quite some time already because I had the gait that you mentioned, I saw her for a coulpe of months and it really did help a lot...
    That's great, Leunis, I'm so glad you have someone good to work with on your gait!

Edited to add: I do think that footdrop secondary to nerve impingement is a spinal cord issue, and many of us here have this as a symptom or residual effect after surgery. Best wishes as you work with it.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 11-17-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Addition