Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Equipment for Kids

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Wondered what happened to the Tailwind. A now defunct company named NEXT MOBILITY, sold the TW for a short while at the same time that Tuftec sold the best indoor/outdoor powerchair, the OMEGATRAC to them. NM did a terrible job with the Omegatrac and the TW was removed from them very quickly. A company named MTS or Miller Technical Services took over NM but the TW seemed to disappear. MTS has also failed miserably with the the Omegatrac.

A lot of folks, me included, thought the TW was the best power assist option offered before it disappeared. Fortunately with a number of great inventions like Pat's/Spinergy ZX-1 for $8,000 and the SmartDrive/$6,000, there are now more options including the updated push rim e-motions/$7,000 and the e-fix/$8,000 from Frank Mobility Systems.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-12-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

This makes me physically ill to hear that the health and well being of a child are being compromised by profit. I think you should definitely go after some fund raising. Have you considered a "crowdfunding" site like www.crowdfunding.com www.gofundme.com etc? I've never used one, but would be happy to lend a hand if I can help.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I can't remember if it was mentioned yet, but MagicWheels might also be an option. They are a manual assist, rather than power.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Another similar to e-Motions is the Yamaha JWX-2 that is supposed to be on the market soon. Here is an article about it: Yamaha?s Next-Generation Power-Assist Readies for U.S. Debut

I really think you should try again to see what can be done for a SmartDrive. I think it fits the requirements you have given even better than the Tailwind. It would also allow her to have the chair separate from the power unit, should you need to replace one or the other, and can grow with her into different chairs hopefully.

I really think you should try again to see what can be done for a SmartDrive. I think it fits the requirements you have given even better than the Tailwind. It would also allow her to have the chair separate from the power unit, should you need to replace one or the other, and can grow with her into different chairs hopefully. I'm going to send you a PM with someone you may want to contact.

Thanks for this wealth of info above...I really appreciate all this. I looked into a bunch of it previously, and now I am backtracking and going over all of it once again. And yeah...it makes me sick that they are making it this difficult to get my daughter into a damn chair.

The eMotions were the first ones suggested to us by the hospital, and the demo the salesman gave was a disaster. Once he got it going it was great, but what it took to get to that point was laughable. From all the adjustments he had to make on all the working parts on the rims themselves, to the actual weight of those rims, to the stupid remote control to change power assist options. I mean really...a remote control for something you're sitting in? Who came up with that brilliant idea? Anyway, it was one problem after another. I just couldn't risk it.

That's when the Tailwind was recommended, and damn...this thing is a dream...'cept for financing it!

The Smartdrive looks interesting, and I did look into it...but it scared me a little as to braking the unit. Not sure she'd be able to control it well. I do want to look into once again though.

As to some of the others noted above, I don't think any of them really fit the bill as to "power assist"...looks like the above are the only three options. The MagicWheels she'd never be able to push, and the Spinergy ZX-1 looks like a monster huh? The Yamaha's look promising, but not available yet, ugh

It's sad, because this Tailwind is just perfect...too good to be true for her. I'm gonna figure this out somehow...need to thank EVERYONE here for all the help, this forum is just incredible.

I would consider the MagicWheels "mechanical" assist, and she will only get about 2:1 better push. The Spinergy ZX-1 is considered a power add-on. It's like making a manual into a power chair. It's actually a rather elegant looking device and not really that noticeable under the chair, but it weighs about 79 lbs, making it difficult to transport. It's difficult to know about the Yamaha's because there is so little information in English, but they do "sound" like they will be lighter weight than e-Motions because of the batteries.

I've got some webpages with information about almost all that I have come across. I think they have all been mentioned already, except the Otto Bock z10 / z10-ce, Benoit Solutions Light Drive / Light Active and AAT max-e, but they are all power add-ons rather than power assists. Feel free to take a look at the subpages on this page: http://www.pitlarson.com/other-stuff...d-ons-assists/

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Joey View Post
    As to some of the others noted above, I don't think any of them really fit the bill as to "power assist"...looks like the above are the only three options. The MagicWheels she'd never be able to push, and the Spinergy ZX-1 looks like a monster huh? The Yamaha's look promising, but not available yet, ugh

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Did you look at Frank Mobility Systems e-fix? It is operated by a joystick.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Yes, I did, but we're not looking for full power like that..