Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get A Kindle.

Get A Kindle.

If you guys love to read as muh as I do and seem to have a bit to much extra time on your hands I suggest the Kindle. I will never go to the library again, the bookstores can be a bit expensive as well. I got one for V-day and I love it. I am reading 3 different books right now and time passes by so quickly. You can download any book in secs. It will read to you if you prefer that option or are not able to use our hands as well. I find that it has relaxed me more to have books, magazines, and newspapers of my choosing right at hand. Great investment for a SCI homebody waiting for better weather. The cost is very reasonable as well.

I've been thinking about buying one for a while now. They look great.

I'll check into it
    I love reading
    Thx xtravla

I bought the Nook instead because it is compatible with my local library sysyem, more free books. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I bought the Nook instead because it is compatible with my local library sysyem, more free books. Love it.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...8&postcount=35

Yep, I have had one for about six months or so and LOVE it!! Be sure to check out the time limited options on the Kindle page, as they sometimes put good books on for free for 24 hours before they go back to normal cost.

Project Gutenberg has an archive of 30,000+ books free for download--all free because they are now out of copyright. I download a lot from here for both school and leisure reading. If you like reading so called "literary classics," the site is a gold mine.

As an aside, both Amazon and Apple's iBook store offer many of the same out-of-copyright books as Project Gutenberg for free, if you know what you are looking for.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

This is the link to the American site. There is a separate Canadian site as the copyright laws are different here. It may be that those from outside North America can't download from either site without using a proxy server, I am not sure.
    Last edited by orangejello; 02-14-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Scott, saw this after I made my comment, Triumph thanks you - she is my wife. My thanks also. Thank you Orangello as well.

I love my Kindle! I got it, a case, and a light for Christmas. Take it everywhere. It is cool to use when waiting for a movie to start, waiting for appointments, reading when dining alone, etc. etc. Right now I have 3 books on it. One is the Autobiography of Mark Twain, which is a hefty 680 pages in hard copy. I love how I can so easily change the font size (old eyes!), and use the built in dictionary when I want to look up a word, as well as take notes or copy text easily. So far the lack of color (available on the Nook) has not been a problem (rarely is for adult books, maybe for magazines...), although it would be nice if it had a built in back-light. Downloads are fast and easy from Amazon with tons of titles, and available anyplace you can get a WiFi signal.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Scott, saw this after I made my comment, Triumph thanks you - she is my wife. My thanks also. Thank you Orangello as well.
    You are welcome. The mention of Anna Karenina reminded me that some people here might not have heard of project Gutenberg and might find it useful to get some great free books.