Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten annoying things...

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    Don't push my fucking chair, esp without me expecting it. Just don't touch my freaking chair.
    I hear you, I hate that. Especially when I am in a shop trying to take something down and a person coming from behind and give me a big push, I am in their way.
    TH 12, 43 years post

This might be over sensitive, but I hate it when people bump into my chair. I know most of the time it's just an innoccent accident, but sometimes, it's just people aren't watching where they are going. I don't say anything, but it just drives me nuts.

Another one is parents grabbing and pulling their kids away from PWD when you know they (kids) just want to ask a question. We aren't going to bite your kids, that hard.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Isn't it easier just to say that it being in a wheelchair sucks ?
    thats the reason for this thread, listing the reasons it sucks
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

When the (republican) Governor of Texas puts his muddy cowboy boot on your tire like your old friends and looks out of the corner of his eye at the cameraman who is following him to make sure he caught the photo op....Now that is ANNOYING! Little did he know he was getting a photo op with a personal injury trial lawyer-his hated enemy! Ha!

OMG...there are so many things that bug me. To name a few (many have already been said):
    1. When AB's (very rarely dis) decide that since they are just waiting for someone to come out to the car, they can park and sit in the crosshatch space between HC spaces. This is especially prevalent at my school where a parent/friend comes to pick up someone coming out of class. Often, they are parked there for 10-15 minutes and block me from getting in my car. There are only 5 HC spaces for the whole parking structure, and there are regular spaces very close to where they were parked. I often try to educate the driver that they are not allowed to park there (even if they are just picking up) and that the area is designed for people with disabilities to enter and exit their car, fully open the car door, load/unload a wheelchair or other adaptive equipment, etc. Since I am usually done with class at this point and getting back into my car, they are able to see how the process works and many times offer to help (I respectfully decline, but always say thank you for asking). There are a few times where people become defensive that I am telling them they should not park there, and I got close to calling campus security one time.
    2. People who ASSUME that you need help pushing up a hill, opening doors, etc. and grab your chair or the door to do what they THINK you need. My chair came with bolt on push handles, but I removed them quickly after figuring out that people were less likely to push me without asking if there were no handles on my chair. I had been pushed before to somewhere that I did not want to go b/c the person pushed without asking where I was going or what I planned on doing. Also, I hate when I am using the door for stability or to pull through, and someone grabs it from me, throwing off my balance or stopping my momentum.
    3. AB's kneeling down or bending over to talk to me "eye to eye". If a chair is readily available and they wish to sit down, I am fine with that, but I don't like it when people kneel or bend over because it makes me feel like a child. If I am having an important conversation, or having a problem hearing the person, I will ask them to sit so I can hear them better.
    4. Department stores that have racks so close together that you are being smothered by clothes or can't look at certain racks because you get trapped. ALL stores need to have wide enough aisles to allow a wheelchair through.
    5. AB's who cut you off while walking, then proceed to stop right in front of you (usually in crowded places). Also, AB's who nearly walk right into you because they don't notice that you are there (even if you try to move out of their way, or stop before running into them).

I'm sure there are more, but that is a good start.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    I've never had anyone kneel down to talk to me, but I know that if they did, I would HATE it.
    Really? I wish all people got on their knees to talk to me [insert gay joke here ]. My neck hurts looking up at them. I appreciate when they do.

However, I do notice this: People only get on their knees to talk to me if they plan to give all their attention to me and talk to me for a while. Otherwise, everyone stands around and I'm looking forward and not directly up to people, which is better. It's killer on my neck when someone stands right next to me and talks to me a lot, I've asked them to come down a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    Life is what you make it. So make it fun.
    I typically hate that expression, but in this thread, I'll agree with it. I'm much more annoyed by things I have to do because of my condition rather than annoying actions of others. At the end of the day, UTIs, bowel programs, pissing on myself in public, not maintaining erections, unable to reach shit, etc.; takes a bigger toll on me.

Elevators. About 90% of the time when I am in an elevator and the door opens, the person waiting for the elevator looks in and says "Oh! I am sorry!". Argh! Sorry for what? That there is a cripple in the elevator that makes you uncomfortable? I am just a dude in an elevator, STFU, get in and press the button.

Drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Elevators. About 90% of the time when I am in an elevator and the door opens, the person waiting for the elevator looks in and says "Oh! I am sorry!". Argh! Sorry for what? That there is a cripple in the elevator that makes you uncomfortable? I am just a dude in an elevator, STFU, get in and press the button.

Drives me nuts.
    lol that's an extreme reaction. they are prolly saying sorry as they realise that they are being lazy and u actually need to use it. no biggie. i once was in a packed elevator and these girls were all "yea i'm too lazy to use the stairs" so i said "yea, me too" <3 the awkward laughter that ensued
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    O
    2. People who ASSUME that you need help pushing up a hill, opening doors, etc. and grab your chair or the door to do what they THINK you need. My chair came with bolt on push handles, but I removed them quickly after figuring out that people were less likely to push me without asking if there were no handles on my chair. I had been pushed before to somewhere that I did not want to go b/c the person pushed without asking where I was going or what I planned on doing. Also, I hate when I am using the door for stability or to pull through, and someone grabs it from me, throwing off my balance or stopping my momentum.
    This is where people can't win, because while it may be awkward to accept help pushing up a hill or steep ramp, I appreciate the help, feeling less awkward the older I get. I really appreciate the help with doors.

I can't recall the last time a stranger grabbed my chair without asking to give assistance.

I suspect our opinions vary based on injury level, which the average joe hasn't a clue.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982