Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What helps you pain other than drugs.

I have been trying to find something other than meds for pain for some time now. I'm a T5 incomplete and have a burning pain in my hips and legs. I also get pins and needles / electrical shock kind of pain as well.

I am allergic to opiods (as one doctor said, it was a good thing I was at the hospital when they tried them. If I took them at home I probably wouldn't have made it back to the hospital). I also don't like the side effects of the other drugs. I'm dull enough without them.

I currently just try and work through the pain. I can concentrate on a task for about 30 to 45 minutes but then the pain intrudes and I have to deal with it. This is also true at night. I have not slept for more than an hour at a time without waking up because I'm in pain or having spasms.

I have often wondered if the DREZ procedure would work or even a complete cutting of the cord would help. I don't have enough function below my chest to matter if I lost what little I have left. I just wish there were some answer.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post

I have often wondered if the DREZ procedure would work or even a complete cutting of the cord would help. I don't have enough function below my chest to matter if I lost what little I have left. I just wish there were some answer.
    cutting the cord has beeen discussed here and elsewhere. it not only has been shown ineffective, it can make things worse. plz, don't even think of that as an option (hope you couldn't find a doc to do it, in any case). the drez procedure can cost you 2 levels of function; you say you're t5. they won't even do it on cervical injuries and i don't know what thoracic level they draw the line at, but you're probably close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner99 View Post
    No I have never tried yoga i would be interested in trying anything that would work. I avoid pain killers unless I absolutely have too as I hate the side effects, usually it is my wife that tells me it is time to take a pain killer as I start complaining about the pain! The thing that helps me the most is distraction as Orangejellow mentioned. When I am at work full time managing my lab I find that distraction helps a lot as I am too busy to pay attention to all the stiffness and pain that I am feeling. I think it is important for people to try to keep busy and to try to push through the pain.

The problem with me trying to learn yoga or take a class is I live way out on a acreage in the nice Canadian Wilderness (where i am at peace) I don't think the Cougars, wolves and Moose will join me in a class of Yoga!

Mooner
    Mooner,

Please come over to the Yoga thread posted in Exercise forum, as I said there are some pretty experienced people who could answer your questions about yoga/meditation and point you int the right direction should you like

Hi everyone
    I use Medditation everyday and night because I dont like the side effects of some medicines

Finding my Chi and focusing on rest or slowing my BP brings me to a state of relaxation where sometimes I can overcome my horrible neuropathic pain .

This is a good post

Sincerely ;
    GL

Wonderful ideas! I believe distraction is tremendously helpful. Reduce stress. Ti chi (sp?) is new to me but is so relaxing.
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.