Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Live from Working 2 Walk 2010!

Hi, Suzanne!

Glad you and Phil Horner got to meet & I really hope we can all get together in Seattle while you're in the Pacific Northwest.

kate

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    Hi, Suzanne!

Glad you and Phil Horner got to meet & I really hope we can all get together in Seattle while you're in the Pacific Northwest.

kate
    Hi, Kate!

I have not met Phil Horner in Seattle but spoken to him at the W2W. Hope to see you, Bruce & Dr. Horner perhaps next year in June when I am back in Vancouver again. The information I posted earlier was from his slides presented at his talk at the W2W Symposium.
    Last edited by poonsuzanne; 11-19-2010 at 02:11 AM.
    Suzanne

Any news on actual trials for chronics? Any mention of Geron or wise's trials?

Thanks in advance

keeping on

A big thank you!

On behalf of our delegation from Norway I would like to send a big thank you to all the folks behind the W2W 2010 conference in Phoenix. It is very much appreciated and it is fantastic work the U2FP and their relatives and friends put down for creating such a good environment for SCI science discussions which conferences such as this are. All of us from over here was very pleased with the conference and are very glad we attended. We also thank you for your great hospitality and welcoming attitude. Thank you very much.

It was great to listen directly to all the speakers at the conference, most of the scientists had very good presentations and one clearly could see that the tides now are changing for bringing regenerative curative treatments for spinal cord injuries further. Sure one can discuss the timeframes or the lack of science in some areas but that is how it is in any R&D business at stages like this, like one scientist expressed it; science goes in steps. Still one was discussing clinical trials and as a matter of fact, some of the scientists and companies attending the conference are now in clinical trials albeit an early stage, but still this is a huge milestone in the history of SCI.

Great conferences like this is steps along the way to bring curative treatments for SCI. This is also why it is so important to attend conferences such as this. I have attended several SCI conferences and always something new and good occurs due to attending such conferences. Above listening to all the scientists and others it is also very important melting pots and think-thanks for brainstorming and direct discussions. Conferences like this are very important for establishing of new contacts with folks that has the same goals, namely to find treatments for SCI. And as for this the W2W delivered big time. I myself (the others from over here too) spoke to several of the scientists and discussed concrete ways of how one can help and collaborate (cant write to much of that here since it is only discussions) but these discussions will be carried on for materialization hopefully sooner rather than later. A lot of new connections (I like to call it synaptic connections) with other spinal cord injured peoples and their next of kin was also made, and I’m quite sure many good things will occur due to this as well, like we already have seen in some discussions (outside of this forum), which have started. Several countries outside of the U.S. were also represented, from all over the world, but especially from Europe several attended. Several countries in Europe want to do what they can to help out for curative SCI treatments, in some countries this has started and in some countries it will start. And in light of that, the W2W was also a great melting pot for connecting peoples with the same goals, to fix SCI.

Thank you again,

Leif

Kate, here is some minor corrections from you’re posting above, no big deal, just leave it as is, but I thought I would like to comment a little bit. And thank you very much for you’re bloging efforts!

There is now a national organization, but they focus on care . . . not cure, not rehab, not research, not prevention
    I’m not quite sure about this, but I think this was about our national ‘umbrella’ organisation for disabled, which we are a part of, but they focus on rehabilitation too, which is great. Our national SCI association goes a step further though, also focusing on therapies, since we are a diagnosis association.

Leif says it used to be that rehab was always like a sausage factory, meat in -- meat out. (Laughs to see me typing that down.)
    Here I meant different meat in and one standard sausage out. One used to process one standard way of thinking. This is more harmonized now and cure work is quite acceptable.

Leif: We're in the rehab centers. We try to have them sign up as soon as they're out of anesthesia! Unless an injury is traumatic, people tend to get dumped out and abandoned.
    Here I meant the non-traumatic injuries are not always so easy to catch, for example if these injuries are treated at more general hospitals not typically dealing with SCI. They are not dumped and abandoned per se, but more difficult to catch by the established SCI-units. If registered at the SCI-units one normally will be called in for check ups at different times and so on for lifelong follow-up.

Photo slideshow from W2W.

Slideshow created by my wife, Marilyn.
    Last edited by john smith; 11-24-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

As promised, lo these many days later . . . links embedded below
    When I met Suzanne Poon (first I couldn't believe she had an 18 year old son), she asked me if we could do something in China.

We formed a partnership in 2004 and set up the network in 2006.

We had to choose a therapy to test . . . we picked umbilical cord blood + lithium. It was the most promising and the safest to do a clinical trial with. I didn't invent it.

Showing a picture of a rat cord that has had a 10 gm weight dropped onto it from different heights. If the weight is dropped from 12.5 mm, the rats are injured but recover. Twice that height, they don't recover.

Slide showing a cross section of an injured cord . . . there's a black hole surrounded by axons trying to get in but not growing out.

So, how would you bridge the injury site? The site is filled with macrophages and astrocytes. If you put cells right into the middle of the injury, they're stuck there. So you put cells on the edges of the site (at 45 degrees) and they migrate in and form a bridge.

What kind of cells should we use? In 2006, there were only two approved sources (GMP, he means, because it means the cells were sourced using Good Manufacturing Practices). Adult or neonatal GMP cells were either bone marrow or umbilical cord blood. The other options were fetal (from abortions) or ESC, which were not readily available in 2006.

He likes cord blood cells because they stay where you put them. They also are recognized by the glial cells as part of the central nervous system and that means the glial cells don't attack them.

What about lithium?

it's a drug used for manic depression . . . we all have it in our bodies . . . it's very, very cheap. And it inhibits an enzyme AND increases cell growth. Wise had heard that it seemed to repair sci, so he put his cord blood cells into his injured rats, then treated them with injections of lithium . . .

Showing a list of about a dozen papers published about how umbilical cord blood works in sci.

Dasari published a paper (which I'll hook you to when I get a minute) that Wise is describing now. Rats were made to not just walk, but to walk on a beam, which is a lot harder. Also -- Wise is so funny -- demonstrates what it looks like to hold a dangling rat treated with lithium & cord blood and stroke its limbs.

Yick 2004 (another paper I'll find and link to . . )

Now doing CN 102b in china
    have a usa network, which will test the phase 3 study
    they will also be doing it in india
    showing a picture of a young chinese woman who was the reason for starting clinical trials
    suzanne poon shown surrounded by the rest of the china board

Time for Ed Wirth, from Geron
    Love seeing the images and video from the conference . . . in the moment, it goes by so blasted fast.

Great!

Blog Entries
    Thanks John. Nicely done!

Thank you for the slideshow John! Oh, how I missed being there!!!

Spinal cord pathways . . . Stephen always has beautiful slides, but too full of information to do justice this quickly in words. Please check out the video of his talk when we get it up.
    Any luck getting the video up yet? Thanks!