Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: quad handcycle racers/ marathoners- a better brake

  1. #1

    quad handcycle racers/ marathoners- a better brake

    has anyone come up w/ a better brake for us quad m,arathoners. i hate popping out of my grips to hit my brake. i never did get my elbow brake working......anyone pics preferred
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  2. #2
    this quad hit his brakes with his head.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sean Post's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    LaVernia, Texas
    Posts
    148
    I like the idea of an elbow brake, but it has to be perfectly aligned with your arm. I'm a quad and had started and building a chest brake. Basically I want to pull myself forward on the C5 grips and hit a pad with my chest and use the momentum from slowing down to keep pressure on the brake. I've got the brake mounted, but I need to fabricate the chest pad. I'll try to post up some pics.
    "I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man"

    The Dude

  4. #4
    Cool sean. Im working w/ a guy now on elbow brake mod. Keep me posted, ill do the same
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  5. #5
    I'm very interested to see what you guys come up with. Fuente, I'm in the same position as you, it's getting dangerous having to pull out my hands from the grips to hit brakes.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    has anyone come up w/ a better brake for us quad m,arathoners. i hate popping out of my grips to hit my brake. i never did get my elbow brake working......anyone pics preferred
    dude, i am your man. what brakes do you have? we could set you up with a thumb shifter drag brake........We will make it if we have to!

  7. #7
    i run a avid disc brake steve.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    dude, i am your man. what brakes do you have? we could set you up with a thumb shifter drag brake........We will make it if we have to!
    Steve - I'm in touch w/ some guys trying to come up with a quad-friendly braking solution for downhill bikes. As you can see in the photo below our current setup isn't ideal (levers reversed so they can be pushed on vs. pulled -- dang quad paws), but it works. There are instances when it's a bit sketchy letting go of the handlebar to depress the brakes though... I'm super interested in what you might have in mind. Could you elaborate?

    (Not trying to hijack / change the topic, but it should apply to DH bikes as well)

    Last edited by -scott-; 11-15-2010 at 06:04 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i run a avid disc brake steve.
    perfect! so.......you can hook that cable up to a thumb shifter........push/pull to activate......it's very commonly done on tandem bicycles as a "drag brake" in addition to the regular brakes & activated by the stoker. So: not only is it "ON/OFF" but can be set to "drag" - IE: keep you slowed down gradually......or, give er' and full stop. sound interesting? i can do this for you guys. i can make a short add-on "handle bar" or whatever. I've made custom foot pedals for helicopters as well as hundreds of custom bikes. i need pictures of what you want to attach to. I may have a stray thumbie to use, OR a bar-end shifter may totally be "the shit" - Garro.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Steve - I'm in touch w/ some guys trying to come up with a quad-friendly braking solution for downhill bikes. As you can see in the photo below our current setup isn't ideal (levers reversed so they can be pushed on vs. pulled -- dang quad paws), but it works. There are instances when it's a bit sketchy letting go of the handlebar to depress the brakes though... I'm super interested in what you might have in mind. Could you elaborate?

    (Not trying to hijack / change the topic, but it should apply to DH bikes as well)

    bitchin' - is that a Grove DH bike?

Similar Threads

  1. handcycle quad grip?
    By racer in forum Equipment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
  2. ADI Brake Disk Brake System
    By WahWah in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM
  3. Any paraplegic drag racers out there?
    By galen in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
  4. Quad glove for Dragonfly attachable handcycle
    By SKYHAWK in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM
  5. Quad cuffs on handcycle
    By Polett in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2002, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •