Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fevers only at night,every night for almost a week...HELP!!

Question High fevers only at night,every night for almost a week...HELP!!

I need some advice on what could be causing me to have these high fevers only at night. The fever is usually anywhere between 101.0-102.5. They usually come on around 9pm and break around 3-4am the next morning. The only other symptoms I have at the time are; headache, nausea, cold, and general achiness all over.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It has not been 1 instance. It has been going on for almost a week and the fever comes every night without fail . I am leary of going to the doctor because the fevers are not present during the day and I dont want to look stupid if its nothing to worry about.

Thanks for any and all advice/ideas.

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Have you looked for other symptoms during the day? Maybe something is swollen, red etc. that is related. Have you compared blood pressures? Sorry, just stabbing in the dark here…
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

First thing to rule out is a UTI.

Pride isn't a good reason for not going to a Doc. One of the best reasons to go to a doc is to find out that nothing serious is occurring. A week of fever is a symptom that should be investigated.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 11-06-2010 at 09:38 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Nice to see you Becky.
    Since this has gone a while and has a pattern it is time to let your doc know.
    My husband gets these odd fevers once in a while and I put cold clothes on him and turn on the ceiling fan to bring it down.

Lewis - I have looked for any out of the ordinary signs such as redness, swelling, etc and there is nada I have not compared blood pressures.

FO - Yes my first thought was a UTI but I just had a urine culture done last friday, right before the fevers started, and it was clean. I did have a UTI at the end of September and completed the course ABX but the symptoms still have not gone away. This is why I had asked to have a repeat culture done last friday. The symptom I am still experiencing from the UTI is increased bladder spasms causing me to look urine .
    The main reason I have not gone to the doctor yet is money. Pride is thrown in there too but the main reason is money. I know still sad . I will be calling first thing monday morning to see the doc ASAP.

Linda - Thanks for the welcome back. Yea I know I need to make a trip to the doctor . I have been doing all of that and taking tylenol to bring them down. The thing with the tylenol is that it doesn't seem to work. It will just continue to climb until about 3 or 4am regardless of what time I take the tylenol.

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    Lewis - I have looked for any out of the ordinary signs such as redness, swelling, etc and there is nada I have not compared blood pressures.

FO - Yes my first thought was a UTI but I just had a urine culture done last friday, right before the fevers started, and it was clean. I did have a UTI at the end of September and completed the course ABX but the symptoms still have not gone away. This is why I had asked to have a repeat culture done last friday. The symptom I am still experiencing from the UTI is increased bladder spasms causing me to look urine .
    The main reason I have not gone to the doctor yet is money. Pride is thrown in there too but the main reason is money. I know still sad . I will be calling first thing monday morning to see the doc ASAP.

Linda - Thanks for the welcome back. Yea I know I need to make a trip to the doctor . I have been doing all of that and taking tylenol to bring them down. The thing with the tylenol is that it doesn't seem to work. It will just continue to climb until about 3 or 4am regardless of what time I take the tylenol.

Becky
    Money is a legitimate concern. That IS sad, but it is also reality. I always advise people to get the treatment needed to maintain health, even if it bankrupts them. Health is priceless, even though medicine is pricey.

But I too delay going to doctors until I'm convinced they can help. I usually can figure out what is wrong and what a doc can offer. But if you are stumped by a persistent ailment, time to get some help in discovering and treating the cause.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

No meds during day that would keep temperature normal?Any congestion or gastrointestinal irritation?
    CWO

CWO- I do not have a fever during the day. It just comes out of nowhere at night. I have no congestion. I am nauseous and my BM's are a bit looser then usual but not anything that would normally freak me out. I hope that makes sense....

Becky
    T11-12
    since 1/3/04

feel better soon. go get a blood test to check your white count if it is high.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    CWO- I do not have a fever during the day. It just comes out of nowhere at night. I have no congestion. I am nauseous and my BM's are a bit looser then usual but not anything that would normally freak me out. I hope that makes sense....

Becky
    Becky, I think she meant do you happen to take any meds during the day that you don't take at night, that might be hiding a daytime fever?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005