Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TiLite ZRa S2 - All things Back Rest Related

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Tilie doesn't do direct sales or service. Their presence here on CC is as close as it has gotten, which is a step in the right direction. Dealer lock in is a poor business practice, IMO, particularly with experienced chair users who don't need the "value added" support of a dealer...or anyone who doesn't want it because most Dme shops are worthless. They could sell cheaper directly, too. Might have to if insurance starts turning away from titanium reimbursement, God help them if the VA does the same thing.
    I wonder what percentage of TiLite (or Quickie, Top End, etc.) customers regard themselves as "experienced chair users." Like most of the regulars on this forum, I know lots of real life w/c users. The vast majority of them in my neck of the woods know surprisingly little about the chairs they're using (mostly TiLites) and don't strike me as being particularly curious about them either.
    Last edited by stephen212; 12-16-2010 at 10:28 AM.

As far as getting TiLite parts easy and quick, call Sportaid. I can email anyone there, give them my serial number and have the part at my door the next day. It cost me 50 bucks for next day, but I got the part and the chai is fixed. On my old chair I broke some important part, boom next day I had the part.

On my current chair the backrest bolt broke, had a set shipped - next day.

I am sure a few others do it, but if I ever need any replacement parts I just email them. Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I wonder what percentage of TiLite (or Quickie, Top End, etc.) customers regard themselves as "experienced chair users." Like most of the regulars on this forum, I know lots of real life w/c users. The vast majority of them in my neck of the woods know surprisingly little about the chairs they're using (mostly TiLites) and don't strike me as being particularly curious about them either.
    Well, as much as I'd like to disagree, (because it seems insane to me otherwise, we only get one first wheelchair!), I do my fair share of wrench turning on local wheelchairs, owned by friends.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Just an update from my previous post where my DME had emailed Mark at Ti. The day after that I received an emailed forwarded to me from the DME of Marks response. Emails went something like this:

Me to DME on 14th: You aren’t going to believe this, but about 10 minutes after you left the bolt on the back of this chair that had sheared off before did so again. Exact same one and in the exact same place, was just rolling down the sidewalk from the shop down to the kitchen to get my car and it popped off.

DME to MARK on 15th (forwarded my email)
    Serial number on the chair is XXXXXX TILITE ZR SERIES 2 You had a recall on the back bolts, nuts etc. AND SHIPPED HIM SOME PARTS But now they are stripped out, broken – SEE NOTE BELOW He needs the ENTIRE BACK BRACKETS, BOLTS, NUTS, NYLON SPACERS This should be under warranty If you need to call him #XXXXXXX

16th Mark replied and parts where shipped out.

Sadly due to the holiday I just received them today, was the entire hardware set from the bolts to hold it to the frame to the brackets holding it all together to the part that goes into the bottom of the back rest post. However once again no damn nuts, but instead of just 6 bolts this time it was all the bolts, washers and nylon spacers, which was much better then the last time. Just had to use the same nuts.

I wanted to make sure everything was done right so I pulled up the tech guide and took my time to get it all just right. When I finished I could not get the back to lock in the upright position, but I could folded down. I went ahead and jumped in it and I guess my weight doing some wheelies caused it to lock upright. For the time there is zero play in my back rest, however if I want to fold it I'm going to have to really put some effort into it.

I've tried loosening and tightening different bolts, however it's really only one that goes through the bracket and hardware to hold it all together. If it isn't tightened enough then the two small bolts (one for locking upright, other for locking folded down) that allow the locking mechanism to engage are to far away to allow it to engage and lock the backrest in place. If it is tightened enough for them to engage then it puts the back rest at weird angle and when you lock it it's locked in good and takes lots of effort to unlock. I mean I can pick my chair up by the release bar and it won't unlock it. So at the moment I pretty much have a rigid back rest, which I'm fine with, wife isn't to happy with though when I'm riding with her and it's in the back of her SUV with the back rest up blocking her view.

I only have my camera phone so the pictures aren't great, but you can sorta of see how it starts pulling away and isn't going up and down at a 90 degree angle. Both sides do this and I can't figure out how to fix it, it's like the brackets connecting to the frame either need to go beyond 90 degree's so that they lean in a little or the back post aren't as wide as they need to be by a few mm so it's pulling em apart some when I crank down on the bolt's on each side that run through the hardware/backpost.

For now it's locked in place, not moving or wiggling and no bolts have sheared off (been 30 minutes and I haven't been in it yet) so I'm happy.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    I only have my camera phone so the pictures aren't great
    I hope it's a nicer phone than it is camera. Glad to hear progress is being made on your chair!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Just an update from my previous post where my DME had emailed Mark at Ti. The day after that I received an emailed forwarded to me from the DME of Marks response. Emails went something like this:

Me to DME on 14th: You aren’t going to believe this, but about 10 minutes after you left the bolt on the back of this chair that had sheared off before did so again. Exact same one and in the exact same place, was just rolling down the sidewalk from the shop down to the kitchen to get my car and it popped off.

DME to MARK on 15th (forwarded my email)
    Serial number on the chair is XXXXXX TILITE ZR SERIES 2 You had a recall on the back bolts, nuts etc. AND SHIPPED HIM SOME PARTS But now they are stripped out, broken – SEE NOTE BELOW He needs the ENTIRE BACK BRACKETS, BOLTS, NUTS, NYLON SPACERS This should be under warranty If you need to call him #XXXXXXX

16th Mark replied and parts where shipped out.

Sadly due to the holiday I just received them today, was the entire hardware set from the bolts to hold it to the frame to the brackets holding it all together to the part that goes into the bottom of the back rest post. However once again no damn nuts, but instead of just 6 bolts this time it was all the bolts, washers and nylon spacers, which was much better then the last time. Just had to use the same nuts.

I wanted to make sure everything was done right so I pulled up the tech guide and took my time to get it all just right. When I finished I could not get the back to lock in the upright position, but I could folded down. I went ahead and jumped in it and I guess my weight doing some wheelies caused it to lock upright. For the time there is zero play in my back rest, however if I want to fold it I'm going to have to really put some effort into it.

I've tried loosening and tightening different bolts, however it's really only one that goes through the bracket and hardware to hold it all together. If it isn't tightened enough then the two small bolts (one for locking upright, other for locking folded down) that allow the locking mechanism to engage are to far away to allow it to engage and lock the backrest in place. If it is tightened enough for them to engage then it puts the back rest at weird angle and when you lock it it's locked in good and takes lots of effort to unlock. I mean I can pick my chair up by the release bar and it won't unlock it. So at the moment I pretty much have a rigid back rest, which I'm fine with, wife isn't to happy with though when I'm riding with her and it's in the back of her SUV with the back rest up blocking her view.

I only have my camera phone so the pictures aren't great, but you can sorta of see how it starts pulling away and isn't going up and down at a 90 degree angle. Both sides do this and I can't figure out how to fix it, it's like the brackets connecting to the frame either need to go beyond 90 degree's so that they lean in a little or the back post aren't as wide as they need to be by a few mm so it's pulling em apart some when I crank down on the bolt's on each side that run through the hardware/backpost.

For now it's locked in place, not moving or wiggling and no bolts have sheared off (been 30 minutes and I haven't been in it yet) so I'm happy.
    Tex,
    Is the overall bracket still the same structure as the one you took off, i.e. the flat plates etc.
    There is a complete redesign due to be ready in mid January which you need to keep annoying them about to make sure you get one of the first available, I'm told by the European Sales Manager directly that I'm getting #1 (she even sent me a Happy Christmas e-mail!).

Keep us posted.

My husband just got his new ZR series 2 and everything on his back looks like the new hardware (bolt heads are not flat against the surface). It locks and unlocks fine...so are you saying there is yet another redesign coming out?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Yup, bracket changes too, iirc.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Yea this is still the original design+plus the different bolt heads, but not the newly designed updated hardware they are supposed to be coming out with. I'd sheared off two bolts and my back when locked before the bolts were sheared had around 2 inches of play in it.

I'd been visiting with me DME the day it sheared off the replacement bolt the first time, he'd noticed the play in the backrest and I'd informed him of what all had gone on here with other customers, he said so far he hadn't had any other customers with the series 2 contact him with problems yet, but most of the guys that had gotten em through him had rigid backs.

Of course right after he left is when it sheared off a 2nd time.

I'll be happy when this new hardware come out, well happy if it works correctly.
    Most everything I say is

the new back isnt shipping yet guys.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer