Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprinter van

Smile Sprinter van

Has anyone ever had a Sprinter van modified so they can drive from their wheelchair using an EZ-LOCK? Does anyone know of a company that does this? Thanks everyone, Bucky

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Has anyone ever had a Sprinter van modified so they can drive from their wheelchair using an EZ-LOCK? Does anyone know of a company that does this? Thanks everyone, Bucky
    The sprinter has its battery and fuse panel under the front drivers seat. This makes an easy lock very difficult.

I know a guy who modified a Sprinter, but he transfers from his wheelchair to the van seat (doesn't drive from his wheelchair). He has a paraplegic injury, but uses a power chair (bad shoulders) and is 6' 9" so it works well for his height.

(KLD)

I have seen pictures of a modified Sprinter but never a lowered floorboard. The ones I saw did have a transfer-seat installed.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    ... but never a lowered floorboard...
    Sprinter is a Unibody design, not body on frame like domestics. Not that it would be impossible, but it would be much more expensive. Plus, they have plenty of headroom and glass up high so you can see out from a power chair, so it's not really needed.
    If you want low without a hacked up minivan, MV1 is the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    Sprinter is a Unibody design, not body on frame like domestics. Not that it would be impossible, but it would be much more expensive. Plus, they have plenty of headroom and glass up high so you can see out from a power chair, so it's not really needed.
    If you want low without a hacked up minivan, MV1 is the only choice.
    The floorboard is lowered so that you can get your legs below the steering wheel and hand controls. My minivan is lowered 10" and I just barely fit below the steering wheel with leg clearance. (I believe the MV1 is for passenger transport and it is not offered for driving from a chair.)
    Last edited by Millard; 07-09-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Missed a word...
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Almost all drive-from-wheelchair cars here in Belgium are Mercedes Sprinters or VW Transporter/Multivan.
    The sprinter is supposed to be a really easy car to adapt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    The floorboard is lowered so that you can get your legs below the steering wheel and hand controls. My minivan is lowered 10" and I just barely fit below the steering wheel with leg clearance. (I believe the MV1 is for passenger transport and it is not offered for driving from a chair.)
    It's much cheaper to move a steering wheel than lower a floor. Our NorCal was lowered 9" so my son could see out of the windows from his power chair. The sprinter already has unusually high windows.

A company called Midwest Automotive Designs is installing automatic opening passenger side doors for the sprinter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JenR View Post
    Almost all drive-from-wheelchair cars here in Belgium are Mercedes Sprinters or VW Transporter/Multivan.
    The sprinter is supposed to be a really easy car to adapt.
    I am told that US DOT regulations are prohibitive of making the aftermarket changes to the drivers floor area of a sprinter to accommodate easy locks.

It would be nice if we could because a sprinter would be much cheaper and better than the cost of a Ford van plus the cost of lowering the floor.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I do love the sprinter vans. The sprinter is the only full size wheelchair van that I can see out of. All the chevy and fords have a raised roof and a lowered floor. My head is in the box on top and the top of the windows are only at my armpits. This sucks and makes me sick on long drives.

The Sprinter was always my fantasy vehicle to drive.

I could see out of and drive a Norcal van with a 9'' drop floor. It would be nice to have a van that did not need cut up though.
    I could not afford to buy or set up either one.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-11-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt