Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Surelock disc for Round Betty Dino

New Surelock disc for Round Betty Dino

I suggested to Jack Roberts, the owner of Surelock, that he offer a direct-mounted, one-sided disc to that secures to the hollowed spokes of the Round Betty Dino. Cleaner looking, more securely fastened, and probably half the weight of the typical "C"-clip mounting style.

Kudos to Surelock for listening to their customers' requests!!

My set is in the mail, but here are some preview pics from Jack.

I'll post before-and-after pics when I get them.

Last edited by stephen212; 11-02-2010 at 08:26 PM.

What a great mounting idea! I really like his Rogue adapter, too. Both elegant in their simplicity, integrating into their unique designs to create very nice parts. I'm definitely going to try these next time around.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    What a great mounting idea! I really like his Rogue adapter, too. Both elegant in their simplicity, integrating into their unique designs to create very nice parts. I'm definitely going to try these next time around.
    A little credit goes to you. When I first posted pics of the Surelocks on my Dinos you commented that they looked "heavy" -- too much metal. That got me to thinking how it could be made lighter. Eventually the "eureka!" moment arrived: take advantage of the opening in the aluminum spokes as an anchor point for a one-sided clip. As in the past, Surelock welcomed my peanut gallery suggestion and made it a reality.

I think something similar could be done for the LX. The inside spokes could be threaded through a one-piece disc before being secured at the rim. Simple in theory but it would require removing and reinstalling the spokes, so it's not something that 99% of users could do on their own, which includes me. It also assumes that the Spinergy spokes are sufficiently long to accommodate the width of the disc.
    Last edited by stephen212; 11-02-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Pretty slick.

I like it, makes me want some Dinos but then I would need to replace my D's Locks ... $$$$$
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    A little credit goes to you. When I first posted pics of the Surelocks on my Dinos you commented that they looked "heavy" -- too much metal. That got me to thinking how it could be made lighter. Eventually the "eureka!" moment arrived: take advantage of the opening in the aluminum spokes as an anchor point for a one-sided clip. As in the past, Surelock welcomed my peanut gallery suggestion and made it a reality.

I think something similar could be done for the LX. The inside spokes could be threaded through a one-piece disc before being secured at the rim. Simple in theory but it would require removing and reinstalling the spokes, so it's not something that 99% of users could do on their own, which includes me. It also assumes that the Spinergy spokes are sufficiently long to accommodate the width of the disc.
    Looks like you could mill out the spoke head locations between each set screw a lot easier than removing and replacing spokes.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Just installed my new Surelock single-sided Round Betty Dino discs.

In addition to being lighter weight, it uses different screws that are almost guaranteed to never come loose -- they thread more stiffly. The disc also mounts more securely because the screws tighten in the y-axis, not the x-axis; that is, in opposing directions.

Stephen, I am looking to buy a new set of rear wheels for a ZRA series 2. Do you think the Dino's are worth the 100 bucks more than the Spinergy LXs?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Stephen, I am looking to buy a new set of rear wheels for a ZRA series 2. Do you think the Dino's are worth the 100 bucks more than the Spinergy LXs?
    Weight-wise and performance-wise I would say it's a photo finish between the Dinos and the LXs. The Dino's aluminum spokes are much stiffer than the Spinergy fiber spokes and arguably that gives them an edge.

Advantage of the Dinos is that they're nicer looking, and if you're opting for a locking hub system they mate MUCH more securely with the new Surelock clip than to either the first-generation Surelock clip (which won't be offered any longer) or the traditional clamp style that D's uses.

Lastly, another big plus of the Dinos is the level of customer support that Round Betty offers, which counts for a lot in my book. Erick Bryant, the president/owner of Round Betty, contributes to this forum. He's also a chair user and it's nice, when possible, to support "one of our own."

Sportaid was just recently running a 15%-off promotional on all of their wheel sets -- it expired a few days ago. They seem to repeat these offers every few months, so if you're not in dire need of new wheels, you could wait for the next promotional and save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Weight-wise and performance-wise I would say it's a photo finish between the Dinos and the LXs. The Dino's aluminum spokes are much stiffer than the Spinergy fiber spokes and arguably that gives them an edge.

Advantage of the Dinos is that they're nicer looking, and if you're opting for a locking hub system they mate MUCH more securely with the new Surelock clip than to either the first-generation Surelock clip (which won't be offered any longer) or the traditional clamp style that D's uses.

Lastly, another big plus of the Dinos is the level of customer support that Round Betty offers, which counts for a lot in my book. Erick Bryant, the president/owner of Round Betty, contributes to this forum. He's also a chair user and it's nice, when possible, to support "one of our own."

Sportaid was just recently running a 15%-off promotional on all of their wheel sets -- it expired a few days ago. They seem to repeat these offers every few months, so if you're not in dire need of new wheels, you could wait for the next promotional and save a few bucks.
    Thanks for the info. I have only seen pictures of the Dino, but the aluminum spokes with the thicker diameter look nice. What I really want is the 3 spoke x-core wheels but they don't make them in 24 inch diameter. I got an email from sportaid saying they were raising their prices after the new year so I will probably buy the dino's next week.

Tom