Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is anyone else always cold?

I sometimes get cold, I think it is because we have lower blood pressure from being in a wheelchair. I know mine is low. In rehab on bed rest mine was so low I was shocked yet that was normal for that situation. To keep warm I have the most awesome thigh high fluffy socks haha! I have thermal leggings too, and some nice thermal jumpers that can be worn as outerwear, or under other tight fitting tops. Thermal vests are about too! I got mine in Primark and Asda (UK).

I've found multi vit, iron and midodrine (blood pressure raising med) help keep me a little warmer.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Quote Originally Posted by Corinne1 View Post
    My lower legs think they are cold, even when they are not!
    My legs are quite cold to the touch for hours in the fall /winter/early spring . It's difficult. I use microwave bean bags and a remote control heater .
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

i love my flax dog... i got the heaviest one i could afford. i love the weight of him. i actually have a weighted blanket (it weighs 13 pounds and is quilted and weighted with river-rock) on my futon for when i'm just sitting and watching TV (it's an aspie thing i think)

i take a medication similar to midodrine... i take florinef. i do have low blood pressure. i'm also supossed to eat a high sodium diet.

i have a pair of long underwear that i wear under my cords and hoodie when i'm on campus durring the winter semester.
    mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
    type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
    aspergers & friends
    survivor of 2 TIA strokes

The weighted blanket sounds divine but maybe too heavy for a quad to move without a struggle?
    Thanks for the florinof info, since midodrine is no longer being sold in the States :/
    Yes, high salt diet here as well but my feet swell :/
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

freezing all the time in the fall/winter!
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

lorrie, any OT who has training in autism spectrum disorders (the blankets are mostly perscribed for this population) can tell you what weight would be a good weight for you to have as a blanket. mine is so wonderful. i love it.
    yeah, deffinatly ask about the florinef, as far as i know, there are no plans to discontinue it.
    have you ever tried wearing T.E.D. socks? they are double purpose for me... they keep the ankle swelling down, and make it so i can wear regular (as in, non-knee) socks with my AFOs.
    aspergers & friends

Hey, fantastic, maybe your sitting on the ice on a sled ,HUMMMMM.. Naw, jus kiddin. My legs too get the colds in the winter, I got to have an electric blanket on my feet and legs. but oh well, here comes winter another yr of icy feet.

lol i wish i could dress everyday the way i dress for hockey. all those pads and the thick socks and the figure skating gloves under my hockey gloves are so nice and warm haha =]

i used to have an electric blanket, but i was too afraid of my cat getting hurt on it... he likes to kind of kneed his paws into blankets untill he gets comfortable and i was too afraid he would catch a wire with his claws, so i have the blanket to my cousin.
    aspergers & friends

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    The weighted blanket sounds divine but maybe too heavy for a quad to move without a struggle?
    Thanks for the florinof info, since midodrine is no longer being sold in the States :/
    Yes, high salt diet here as well but my feet swell :/
    To the contrary....Midodrine is being sold in the United States. The FDA retracted their recall of Midodrine in September, I think. You should be able to fill your prescription for Midodrine at your local pharmacy or mail in drug program. Search this website for midodrine and recall and you will find the current information.

All the best,
    GJ