Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: having trouble with caregiving in florida

Yea I understand that many people my level are more independent than I am and thats the reason i moved and bought my house to goto too step it up recovery and to become more independent. the problem is right now im just not that capable. like if i fell on the floor there would be no way for me to get back to my chair or bed, it has happened before. if i could stand up just momentarily things would be different. As it stands right now i need help, at the very least for peace of mind. I suffer from anxiety attacks so that is also something that affects my comfortability..

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by marmalady View Post
    A gentle reminder that there are really no 'shoulds'. Every person's capabilities are personal to themselves and their particular physical condition. Yes, there are guidelines to what level of independence a T6 should be able to achieve but other factors like age, general health, other physical problems can play a huge role in how independent a person is.
    I'm well aware that everyone's capabilities are personal, as I have been paralyzed for more than 20 years and have seen my own capabilities change dramatically during that time. My intent was to encourage Eric to strive toward greater independence as this would address many of the caregiver problems he now faces. It pains me to see someone struggle, and I like to offer possible solutions. I wasn't judging him, and I don't need a lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Yea I understand that many people my level are more independent than I am and thats the reason i moved and bought my house to goto too step it up recovery and to become more independent. the problem is right now im just not that capable. like if i fell on the floor there would be no way for me to get back to my chair or bed, it has happened before. if i could stand up just momentarily things would be different. As it stands right now i need help, at the very least for peace of mind. I suffer from anxiety attacks so that is also something that affects my comfortability..
    I'm screwed if I fall out of my chair, too, so I keep a cell phone on me at all times. I also make damn sure I don't fall out of my chair!

My suggestion to you is to make a list of all the things for which you need assistance and work on those things, one by one, to be able to accomplish them yourself. That way, you can get help for those things that remain problematic (like transfers). Regarding peace of mind, you're gonna have to find ways to lessen your anxiety. You're restricting your progress by worrying so much about "what might happen." Small steps = big rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    I'm well aware that everyone's capabilities are personal, as I have been paralyzed for more than 20 years and have seen my own capabilities change dramatically during that time. My intent was to encourage Eric to strive toward greater independence as this would address many of the caregiver problems he now faces. It pains me to see someone struggle, and I like to offer possible solutions. I wasn't judging him, and I don't need a lecture.
    Not a lecture, but a gentle reminder. That said, this is where peers learn from each other. Eric.S may need a little prodding to set the bar a little higher.

Lifeline is another safety measure. A pendant that you wear around your neck in case you fall on the floor. A press of the button calls five preset phone numbers of people you've designated as your fall rescuers. After a year, set a goal of ditching it if you haven't used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
    Regarding peace of mind, you're gonna have to find ways to lessen your anxiety. You're restricting your progress by worrying so much about "what might happen."
    Holy cow! That is harsh. Don't you understand that anxiety is a disease? Telling Eric to find ways to lessen anxiety is like telling him to find ways to overcome his inability to function below his injury level.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla View Post
    Holy cow! That is harsh. Don't you understand that anxiety is a disease? Telling Eric to find ways to lessen anxiety is like telling him to find ways to overcome his inability to function below his injury level.
    Why is it harsh to suggest that someone needs to find ways to lessen their anxiety so they can live a functional life? It would be harsh to tell someone to "deal with it" or "get over it." I did neither because I understand, through personal experience, how disabling anxiety can be. There are may ways to lessen anxiety: build a support network of people who can assist you as needed, wear a "lifeline" pendant so help can be summoned in emergencies, notify emergency responders to give you peace of mind that someone is available in emergencies, focus on small accomplishments to build confidence, etc.