Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: having trouble with caregiving in florida

having trouble with caregiving in florida

I've moved to florida but i want to have someone around incase of emergencies. medicare will only pay for a small portion of my home health. im not eligible for medicaid but without it home health services want $400 a day which I cant afford... i really don't want to be alone for to long periods because I've had situations where i've had horrible fevers and needed to be rushed to the hospital. How do you who need help set up your services?

also when having a live in caregiver do you provide food and living supplies like tissue along with the room you provide?

Eric,
    Where do you live in Fl ?? Your profile needs updating ie : injury level ? I pay $15 an hour. Do you live alone ??

Mike

I live in Oviedo outside of orlando.

I need help bathing and getting to appointments. I goto therapy in the mournings and will be going to school in the late evenings. I don't drive so i need transportation and help with general house work. hopefully i will become more independent but right now im not to comfortable over night by myself because i've had major incidents at night...

Eric, maybe you could find a Nursing(or one of the other medical fields) student @ UCF that would be willing to be your assistant in exchange for room/board...It would be great experience for their resume & it would give you someone overnight. I have a friend who goes there for Biological Tech of some sort(complicated stuff above my head, she blows my mind) I could ask her if she could post some fliers for you...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Eric,
    I have a T2 injury and live alone and found a few housekeepers on Craigslist but you have to be very careful. I think Broknwing had a good idea !!

I really want to live alone with people coming in and out but i don't see how its gonna work because for one i need help with transfers and also I don't drive. I've had medical issues where I've needed to be rushed to the hospital and im afraid to be alone overnight. all I can afford is $400.00 a week but I don't get any medicaid help. this really sucks...

If I have any night emergency I do not hesitate to phone 911. Is that out of the question?

Broknwing's suggestion for targeting medical students is a great idea. Craigslist requires too much work and is usually used as a last resort

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    I really want to live alone with people coming in and out but i don't see how its gonna work because for one i need help with transfers and also I don't drive. I've had medical issues where I've needed to be rushed to the hospital and im afraid to be alone overnight. all I can afford is $400.00 a week but I don't get any medicaid help. this really sucks...
    It is not as easy to find live-in PCAs, but in my area, you can find them and if you provide them board and room, $400/week would be a very reasonable salary. I would suggest you contact your local ILC for a start in your search, run ads in Craig's List (always do a background check before finalizing hiring), and also post ads at local colleges, women's shelters, and other places where people are looking for jobs and housing (the Penny Saver is another example). You are never going to be able to do this with an agency.

(KLD)

thanks for the suggestions.. What is the ILC? I'm also not sure how to post ads at a local college. do I physically go there and post the listings?

I guess a live in caregiver is my only option. hiring around the clock separate pca's is just to expensive. I really need to be more independent...

911 is an option but I would like to have someone to accompany me to the hospital. I really have no one in the area to depend on.

I also would like someone with a nursing background so the nursing student is a good idea..
    Last edited by Eric.S; 11-08-2010 at 05:44 PM.