Thread: Salaries for scientist in clinical trials

Thumbs up Salaries for scientist in clinical trials

Job Activity

“In the clinical trials area, we still see a very high demand for talent and the salaries are still increasing with the cost of living,” Pennock says. Indeed, the greatest percent increase in salary over 2005’s survey went to those who work in patents, licensing, and trademarks (62.4%), followed closely by clinical research (57.3%). Salaries in both of these areas increased at approximately twice the rate of the salary for a laboratory researcher (30%).

“Discovery research [has been] particularly hard hit,” Freedman agrees. “Companies are focused more on their clinical trials because they’re closer to sales,” she says. The next greatest salary increases are seen in other areas that support clinical trials, such as safety and regulatory affairs, at 49.3% and 42.7% for government or nongovernment appointments, respectively.

Read more: 2009 Life Sciences Salary Survey - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences http://www.the-scientist.com/2009/09...#ixzz148H1DOxk
    Jake's Pop

This is part of the reason it is so difficult to be a bench scientist. One has to truly love the work and find rewards in discovery or the possibility of discovery, because academic bench scientists could be paid a lot more doing almost anything else.

giambjj, imagine if these reasearchers had someone clos to them with spinal cord dysfunction and paralysis. I would think money would not be a motavation vs finding a cure for their loved ones. I only say this as Dr Kessler from Northwestern Medical, a neurologist, dedicated his fundtion as a researcher for a cure due to the fact his daughter wasw paralyzed in a car accident. As Iv'e said, the conferences and meetings that highlight the scenery and bells and whisltles that surround the meeting may only be an escape for attendees who could care less for a cure. Once a tentative treatment is on the horizon, those researchers with an appetitie for success, other than money, will be trying to be the first in finding a success for spianl therapy.

keeping on

http://www.the-scientist.com/2009/09...#ixzz148H1DOxk

comment on this article:
    Salary? what it is?
    by anonymous poster

[Comment posted 2009-09-01 23:57:01]
    I am in science since last 25 yrs. And still today I have not understood why I am getting paid for doing what I enjoy. For me it is Disney world fun with salary !

Read more: 2009 Life Sciences Salary Survey - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences http://www.the-scientist.com/2009/09...#ixzz148fntTP3

My salary as a scientist, teacher, and college professor in a Vet School has increased a total of 5% since 2005. (No increase in the last 3 years). Many of my colleagues are on at least 2 days of furlough a month (salary decrease). However, I still have a job and good retirement. No wonder we can only recruit Asians to become college professors in a science area.

Dr. JJG
    Jake's Pop

Be careful of retirement. Uss Kobe Steel in Loraine Ohio did some maneuvering and cost workers og 30 years their pensions. I heard that some suicides were committed as a result of this greedy maneuver. what I'm saying is that research in the spinal cord area has to be a love of the trek to an improvement in the lives of our fellow man. I'm serious when I say that these conferences that start out with the description fo the scenery and such are ON THE WRONG TRACK. I've seen this time and time agian where nothing gets done and nothing moves forward. the nuts and bolts of spinal research is clinical trials for human ocnditions and nothing else.

keeping on