Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shower chair options?

Shower chair options?

I need a new shower chair, and I was wondering if there is one with good back support?

We just bought new shower/commode chairs for our unit, and once more, as we did 9 years ago, we went with ActiveAid. They have a wide range of options, and also offer a lot of customization and options that meet our needs. They are also durable and a quality product.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I've been using an E&J Shower Chair, as I find the seat on them much more comfortable (positioning wise) than the flat seat on the ActiveAids. The back is only 15" above the seat surface, though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJ9DLI/...J_2520shower_2
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I've been using an E&J Shower Chair, as I find the seat on them much more comfortable (positioning wise) than the flat seat on the ActiveAids. The back is only 15" above the seat surface, though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJ9DLI/...J_2520shower_2
    i've used the e & j for 30 years now, they do come with 14" or 17" backs
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

i just got http://www.razdesigninc.com/index.ph...d=33&Itemid=70 and am very happy with it. my OT raved about how many options and adjustments there are.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

There seems to be some opportunity for improvements in contemporary shower chair designs. Here are a few pictures of present-day models.

Here are a couple more pictures (there is apparently a 5 picture limit per post).

Blog Entries
    WC Sage,

Photo #3 is the only one that looks like I'd want to park my butt on for the hour+ that I am on the commode and in the shower. Looks just like my E&J. The "skin" on the other chairs is hard to slide on, IMO.

Donno
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

E&J has been out of business for a number of years. We stopped using the similar "rehab shower/commode" chair from the current manufacturer years ago because of shoddy construction and material corrosion. Be especially careful about the seat base, which is simply plywood, and due to poor design of the cover of the cushion, water gets in easily. We stopped using them due to several client injuries when the seat collapsed (split in two) with them sitting on it.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    E&J has been out of business for a number of years. We stopped using the similar "rehab shower/commode" chair from the current manufacturer years ago because of shoddy construction and material corrosion. Be especially careful about the seat base, which is simply plywood, and due to poor design of the cover of the cushion, water gets in easily. We stopped using them due to several client injuries when the seat collapsed (split in two) with them sitting on it.

(KLD)
    yep, think the company now is graham field.
    my problems always been the front caster screwing up after about 5 years, but i'm usually ready for a new one by then anyways, and as long as the drains are open on the bottom, the seat should drain okay, if not, just tip it up after use and it'll drain out. but like donnie, i prefer the padded seat
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan