Thread: finding help for an hour

finding help for an hour

in August my brother's lease was about to expire on the apartment that he was renting. He wanted out of there, so we decided to move in together... well, looking back on it now, I can say that it was not a good decision. Before we moved in together I said it might not be a good idea, because I'm going to need help with things like cooking, and cleaning as well. He agreed that he would do it he just wanted out of his apartment lease. I bought the house and I pay for the taxes, and told my brother that the only thing he needed to pay was utilities. He helps me get to bed four nights a week, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, And in exchange for his help,I don't charge him any rent and I pay for his cell phone bill. My dad puts me to bed the other nights and helps me with my bowel program and shower, he also helps me get up on the weekends. I have an aid that gets me up in the morning Monday through Friday. So the only help I really ask for is putting me to bed those four nights, which he does. It takes about 20-25 minutes; however, he says that he is paying too much money to live here and doesn't like when my parents come over. Which I find as a bs excuse, because he is paying about 400 less a month living with me than he was when he lived at his apartment and if he doesn't like my parents coming over here can always go upstairs, which is like an apartment all by itself, because the upstairs is huge. So, we've been living together for two months and he said he is going to move out in December. I think he is just lazy, because he doesn't cook (I order all my meals and have them delivered) and he hasn't cleaned one thing since we moved in the house (including his own room). If it weren't for my parents coming over and cleaning, I would have to hire a maid. He is a full-time student, but doesn't work. I was living with my mom before this, and now I am stuck with a house that I own, and now need to start looking for a roommate to get rent from. I really did my best to try and make this work, I paid for all of the renovations in the house the only bills that I ever asked to pay where the monthly utilities. Before all this me and my brother got along pretty well, but after all of this I think it's going to be hard for me to look at him the same way. He hasn't helped out with anything other than putting me to bed.

I've asked my agency, and have been calling around to find agencies for someone to come in those four nights for an hour at 11pm , but they all tell me that it is going to be very hard to find someone to work that shift for just an hour. I worry that I might not be able to find anybody to come in for just one hour. I pay out of pocket for my aid in the morning for two hours each morning which comes to $800 a month, plus I pay for my health insurance. I am not covered for any state services, because of my income.

is there anybody who knows where I might be able to find service for those four nights or where to start looking?

I live in Levittown PA just outside of Philly

Any advice is welcomed.

Sorry to hear things did not work out with your brother.
    We pay a mn of 2 hours when an aide comes to put my husband to bed even if it takes about a little over an hour.
    He has trach care and is a C3, so probably more than what you need,
    but seems they get it done efficiently and feel it is in their favor which makes it easier to keep them.
    Hope something comes up.

sorry but your bro is a dick
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    sorry but your bro is a dick
    i know... tell me about it, right? i hope i find someone soon that way i can kick him out before he finishes his semester.

It is very difficult to hire anyone for less than a 2 hour stint. You have to also consider how long the person would have to travel to and from a 1 hour job and if that makes the small hourly wage reasonable.

While we have had some success in finding people who have another job, live nearby, and just want another hour (cash, not on the books) income, in your situation I would think that a live-in arrangement, probably with a student, would be ideal. You could look for someone who would do all your evening care 7 days/week (giving your dad a break too) in exchange for rent in your house. For an arrangement like this, you could also require them to do the house cleaning and perhaps shopping and cooking as well. A student in a health care profession might be the easiest to find (nursing, PT, OT, etc.) if you have a local college where you can recruit. Even non-health care students might work out if you are willing to train them.

One down-side of students is that they don't usually last long, so you would need to recruit on an ongoing basis (1-2 years would be common). Developing some relationships with faculty who could keep an eye out for likely candidates would be a major asset.

I agree...your brother is being an ungrateful jerk. Get his toxic a** out of your house and stop depending on him for your care as soon as you can.

(KLD)

Are there any nursing schools in your area that you could put a specific ad ad to see if you could possibly find someone like KLD suggested?