Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Spinnergys for a TiLite

Buying Spinnergys for a TiLite

Hey everybody,

I was browsing through some threads and thought of something.
    It seems that TiLite likes to force the customer to go through them for some options and charge three times what other retailers would sell items for. I have a ZRA in the process of being processed by insurance and I want to put Spinnergy LX's on it. I think that TiLite has a different type of hub to wheelchair attaching system (okay, the technical words escape me there obviously, you know what I mean, the skewer is different or at least the way it locks is different).

So my question is, can I buy LX's from Sportaid and expect to swap them out with the wheels that come on my TiLite, or do I have to buy Spinnergy's through TiLite?

My Spinergy's fit fine on my Tilites, I didn't get them with the chair.. You may have to adjust the length of the axle, I forget. I agree, the companes charge top dollar for the option.

On a ZRA, yes.

It's adjustable.

What kind of wheel and tire is on your order?

With the same size wheel and same tire type, there should be no need for adjustment. Just a straight swap.

If you have to make adjustments, that's why you're getting a ZRA. Learn it.

You definitly do not have to go through tilite. Sportaid has lx, and they will be a LOT cheaper. Whether or not you need to change the length of your axle (the skewer) depends on the type of wheels you are using now. There will be a small amount of adjustability built in, but if you have to you can get new ones at sportaid also (and much cheaper again)

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    On a ZRA, yes.

It's adjustable.

What kind of wheel and tire is on your order?

With the same size wheel and same tire type, there should be no need for adjustment. Just a straight swap.

If you have to make adjustments, that's why you're getting a ZRA. Learn it.
    I have the LX's on my order form, and if insurance pays for it, that's great. However I seriously doubt they will so I would rather buy the LX's from Sportaid (for <$600) than from TiLite (for >$900) and still get a set of cheap wheels on it paid for by insurance.

Aren't there different types of skewers (I know this is the wrong term). I was under the impression that if I had a Quickie with 26" wheels and a TiLite with 26" wheels, they would not be interchangeable. On Sportaid's website, they don't list any options other than spoke color and wheel size, so is the quick release mechanism (maybe thats the word I've been searching for) the same for all wheelchairs?

Spokes? Hubs?

Spinergy uses a material called PBO to achieve their strength.

The hub is a different shape. It's a wider. But a 540 or 559 wheel is going to be the same circumference across brands because 540 and 559 and other numbers are standards.

Tires are where you need to watch out. Axles can be adjusted, tire height cannot. Make sure you're getting the same model tire to make the swap adjustments minimal to none.

$600 is still too much and you're better off getting a pair of SPOX off of Ebay for $200 or less.

You might need to buy different length axles, depending on the width of your current wheels' hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I have the LX's on my order form, and if insurance pays for it, that's great. However I seriously doubt they will so I would rather buy the LX's from Sportaid
    Don't be so sure...as long as you have a good letter of necessity they might go through. I got my LX wheels paid by insurance, and they were bought stand alone, years after I had my chair. My physiatrist wrote up a letter detailing the problems I've been having with my shoulders, and how making the chair as light as possible is a step towards reducing the wear on my body.

Course, going through insurance and DME means the final price was pretty much robbery, but it was still cheaper out of pocket than sportaid.

Some people specifically do not want spox. I certainly didn't, as I needed 'reach under' space. About 6 weeks before I got my Tilite TR my dealer phoned at 5pm on a Friday and left a message for me to say there was some unspecified 'problem' with lx hubs so they had changed my order to spox. I immediately emailed mark at Tilite to change my order to standard wheels, and explained that the moron dealers had fooled around with my order without consulting me, and that I had little intention of further communicating with them at all. (naturally I cc'd the owners of the dealership. ) I then bought a set of lx at sportaid and met them at a hotel in Florida where i had a regatta, about a week after the chair arrived. I havent been near or spoken to a dealership since. Bottom line is that almost all wheelchair rear wheels are interchangable with only minor changes to the qr Axel. And don't trust dealers!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    My Spinergy's fit fine on my Tilites, I didn't get them with the chair.. You may have to adjust the length of the axle, I forget. I agree, the companes charge top dollar for the option.
    agree, option too expensive, where else Quickie is more reasonable.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.