Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another tire question - 1" or 1-3/8"?

Another tire question - 1" or 1-3/8"?

Where I am, wheelchair tires are mostly 1-3/8" in hospital grey.

I am wondering the pros and cons between 1" and 1-3/8" tires. The wheel size is 24". The terrains are mostly roads, sidewalks, shopping malls and very rarely gravelly paths (maybe once a year). Whatever the width, I will be buying spare tires and inner tubes together with the ZRA S2 that I am about to order.

One more thing, can 1" and 1-3/8" tires use the same rim?

Suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thanks.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

I have always used the 1-3/8" tires up until my new chair, where I now have the 24"x1" Schwable Marathon Plus tires and these high pressure tires make a huge difference in rolling resistance, I can't imagine going back.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

1 3/8 only go up to 65lbs. pressure. The Scwalbe Right Runs go up to 145 I think. I had the Marathon Plus but found them too heavy and clunky compared to the Right Runs. Sounds like you would benefit by a smooth, lightweight, high pressure tire.

Like Brian says, once you try a 1", you'll never go back.

Thanks, Brian and Patrick. Will to stock up on spares when I get the chair. Very difficult, if not impossible, to get 1" tires here.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

tire pressure

I have extra sets of grey tires and rims.
    I have all ways run 90 to 115 psi.

I have had 1 blow out, in 43 years.
    wayne.

i used kenda...i thought kenda was 1 cheap shitty tire, but i guess i'm wrong.it's very lightweight, and easy to clean to...serve the needs well.

at first i wass planning to use schwalbe marathon plus, since thats the only tire i've been using since the 1st time i used tilite.the kenda is included with the sun fusion, and buying it directly means no tire options, so i'm stucked with the kenda.

next time i would explore my option, but i'm thinking about right runs.but kenda is worth the money.

as for the size, i dont see if i ever needed the 1 3/8 in malaysia.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    i used kenda...i thought kenda was 1 cheap shitty tire, but i guess i'm wrong.it's very lightweight, and easy to clean to...serve the needs well.

at first i wass planning to use schwalbe marathon plus, since thats the only tire i've been using since the 1st time i used tilite.the kenda is included with the sun fusion, and buying it directly means no tire options, so i'm stucked with the kenda.

next time i would explore my option, but i'm thinking about right runs.but kenda is worth the money.

as for the size, i dont see if i ever needed the 1 3/8 in malaysia.
    I've had trouble explaining right runs to both TI and Top End. It's almost as if they believe there are only 10 possible tire models for wheelchairs.

They are a few mm shorter than your standard 32 mm tire and with a TR or a terminator, I think the issue is important enough to bring out.

Buying a box frame wheelchair means you are getting married to your wheels, tires and casters. You want the chair squared up to the best, most available combination.

I personally think that's right run tires and 1.5 inch casters.

For the record, TI and Top End are open to the right run idea so long as I send the wheels. Luckily, that's not a problem. I always keep a backup set.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    ...I've had trouble explaining right runs to both TI and Top End. It's almost as if they believe there are only 10 possible tire models for wheelchairs.

They are a few mm shorter than your standard 32 mm tire and with a TR or a terminator, I think the issue is important enough to bring out.

Buying a box frame wheelchair means you are getting married to your wheels, tires and casters. You want the chair squared up to the best, most available combination...
    This is a level of anality heretofore unfamiliar to me. It's nice to have something left to aspire to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I have always used the 1-3/8" tires up until my new chair, where I now have the 24"x1" Schwable Marathon Plus tires and these high pressure tires make a huge difference in rolling resistance, I can't imagine going back.
    Thumbs up.

24x1 is much better.

x5, 24x1 speedrun/rightruns
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer