Thread: Any more Livid IGlide users out there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any more Livid IGlide users out there?

Looking for people who are using Iglide and want to know what will happen now that it has been discontinued. Spoke with VP of Marketing for Independence and was told that it was a business decision to stop production. Problem is that they own the patent so no one else can produce it. How can this happen? What can we do,I am quad 28 years post injury and this technology has changed my life. And now, a business decision will shape the rest of it! The emotion is not the same...sorry. Will this have an adverse effect on anyone else? Please contact if you want to fight it.

Mike Smith

I think your chances of "fighting" this are slim to none. This is a business decision. They decided to make a chair that has limited usefulness to many (very limited sizes and options) which resulted in insufficient sales in spite of massive $$$$ spent on marketing. They are choosing to cut their losses. Unfortunately this is how the business world works, and how patents work. There is no way to "force" them to give away their patent.

The same thing happened a couple of years ago with the Vocare (Brindley) bladder stimulator. The result is that you cannot get one in the USA anymore (unless you find one of the old ones that is still available). Many could have benefited from this, there were few bad complications, yet the company withdrew it from the market because they were not making enough money. That is how capitalism works.

(KLD)

How long is it before a patent expires?

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

KLD, I was really sorry to hear that the iglide is being discontinued. The words business decision has a very specific meaning. It means that they are losing money and have decided not to invest any more into it. I interpret it to mean that the technology is now available for any company that wants to buy the license to the chair and market it. Wise.