Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: kindle

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Uhmm, I'm curious about getting one of those.

I don't usually read paper books, I usually read them in my computer, but sometimes i rather feel a little more disconnected to have a good reading. And I hate paper books.

I'm wondering though, and pretty lazy to do the research myself, how good is the availability of digital books? Are already most of them digital to read in one of those? How much $?
    Ox,
    I think you would like the Kindle for reading. It is smallish, easy to put in your lap, and has none of the eye strain that goes along with prolonged computer reading. You can also take it out in bright sunlight and read, just like a book, and very unlike a computer. The prices of books are set by the publisher, but most are somewhere between $9.99 and going up to about $14 (rarely that high though). Almost all new books are available in Kindle format, and many, many older ones are too. There are also a ton of absolutely free books, especially the classics.

i just bought the new grisham book for 9.99 eileen, just released. cant beat that
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have been getting all the freebies--read books I would not normally thought of.
    We are dowloading some of my sons study guides--Spark notes plus the classics for his American Lit class. It allows him to type notes about the book as he reads. He has dyslexia/ learning disability connected to his CP. It has been a great tool for him as well.

I love that multiple readers can use it.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

one of the frustrations with Kindle is that you can't loan books. My siblings and I, along with a few other family members, registered our devices to one account. We must have close to a dozen devices registered if you include computers and iphones. We each keep track of our purchases and send gift certificates to the account owner. Anything we buy gets charged first to the gift certificate. It's fun to see what everybody else is reading and it's nice to know that the book you buy can be read by others.

there is no limit to how many devices can be registered to account. However, most books limit the number of simultaneous readers to six devices. Once you delete the book from your device it becomes available again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Ox,
    I think you would like the Kindle for reading. It is smallish, easy to put in your lap, and has none of the eye strain that goes along with prolonged computer reading. You can also take it out in bright sunlight and read, just like a book, and very unlike a computer. The prices of books are set by the publisher, but most are somewhere between $9.99 and going up to about $14 (rarely that high though). Almost all new books are available in Kindle format, and many, many older ones are too. There are also a ton of absolutely free books, especially the classics.
    Thank you, that's pretty convincing. I did a quick try in amazon though, do you usually buy them there? Any better place?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    one of the frustrations with Kindle is that you can't loan books. My siblings and I, along with a few other family members, registered our devices to one account. We must have close to a dozen devices registered if you include computers and iphones. We each keep track of our purchases and send gift certificates to the account owner. Anything we buy gets charged first to the gift certificate. It's fun to see what everybody else is reading and it's nice to know that the book you buy can be read by others.

there is no limit to how many devices can be registered to account. However, most books limit the number of simultaneous readers to six devices. Once you delete the book from your device it becomes available again.
    Wesley, if you look at the Kindle discussion page it mentions that the ability to loan books is coming out later this year. You will be able to loan a book to another Kindle account for 14 days. It is being called the 'Nook killer' because that was the one thing Nook did that Kindle did not.

Thank you, that's pretty convincing. I did a quick try in amazon though, do you usually buy them there? Any better place?
    Amazon is THE provider for Kindle books. No problem though, as the number of books available is beyond anything a mere mortal could ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i just bought the new grisham book for 9.99 eileen, just released. cant beat that
    I know, it is pretty cool. Have you pre-ordered a book yet? The day it is released it shows up on your Kindle. No line, no waiting, no trip to the bookstore, and at a deep discount too!

I use Amazon exclusively since they put out the Kindle. You open a Kindle account and your data is saved, books transfer into your device. Nice, clean and simple.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I think I would like one, but can't get used to the idea of not reading a paper book.
    I get 2 newspapers a day which should fulfill my paper fix I suppose. Must be an age thing. I was 40 before I touched a computer.
    Usually I put new books on list at the library which is efficient and free.
    The trouble is often we can't leave home for days and I have to rely on my daughter to pick them up which she gladly does, but I have to wait.
    It won't get any easier with winter coming.
    Last night I had her buy "squirrel seeks chipmunk" by David Sedaris because the library was closed when she got off work.
    I'll pass it along to someone.