Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Where/how to sell guns?

Where/how to sell guns?

I need to sell my husband's hunting guns, I think they're just your standard shotguns, rifles, one .22 pistol. Where might a clueless widow go to get a fair price on such things?

I don't have any paperwork on any of them, hope that won't be a problem. They were all legally purchased, the serial numbers are still there etc. But if there are any documents required I'm gonna be SOL. They're all probably between 20 and 40 years old, I suppose, been locked in a safe dry gun cabinet since we left Kansas 20 years ago. (Ack, I can't believe it's been that long!)

These are the first of the approximately 10,000 things I need to sell...Any advice appreciated!

Keep the pistol. The other guns may be sold to a dealer or just through the newspaper classifieds. If you don't care about getting the true value for them, you can see a pawnbroker. I sold a pistol at the local gun range.

If they have been uncared for in a cabinet for 20 years you might not be able to expect much for them.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

You could try http://www.gunbroker.com/. Once someone buys the gun you would have to take the gun to a gun dealer and they will ship it for you. The reason a gun dealer would need to ship it is it needs to be shipped via FFL to another dealer in the buyers area, the buyer will let you know where to ship. A quick google search will explain the FFL

I have bought 1 gun myself via gunbroker, my dad has bought 10+.

The buyer pays all fees.

Bethany, it might be worth the extra time to make a list of all of the guns with model numbers, caliber or gauge of a shotgun, and go to www.gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms.com to give you a much better idea of what they may be worth. Some gun shops will buy entire collections which might be easier for you, but you won't get as high a return if you took the time to sell them yourself. Selling them thru one of the online gun auction sites will take considerably more time and effort, but the gun will sell itself and you won;t need to haggle with a gun shop.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Be careful who you tell about them Betheny!!! Otherwise there could be people who will find out and break-in and steal them!!!! alot of thieves look for people who have guns for sale!

If I were you. I would write down the serial numbers/brand/condition and look their value up online. Then I would call a gunbroker/pawn shop and ask him of his interest in such. A good salesperson will direct you otherwise to where you could go. Being they were in a cabinet for 20 years, if they were put away clean and oiled... they could be in excellent condition. And I agree, I'd keep the pistol. You should go somewhere and practice shooting it. It's fun to target shoot and cheap with a .22 girl! If you haven't tried it, you should.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Many gun dealers will take your guns on consignment. As an estate sale, there should be no need for paperwork, other than your signature to sell the guns. Definitely research the models and brands for their value prior to sale.

duge, somebody already stole $2200 worth of gokart engines that Steve hadn't paid for yet. Hate to say it but I think that happened at the gokart track, when Steve was so sick.

The guns were greased etc before he put them away. He was a lifelong hunter and an Air Force vet, had respect for firearms.

I think I need somebody w/ gun knowledge and my giant stepson to handle this, maybe. I'm afraid of guns and am already sick of ppl coming out of the woodwork trying to rip me off!

Thanks, y'all.

ETA-Why keep the .22? I thought it was just for shooting turtles and snakes!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    duge, somebody already stole $2200 worth of gokart engines that Steve hadn't paid for yet. Hate to say it but I think that happened at the gokart track, when Steve was so sick.

The guns were greased etc before he put them away. He was a lifelong hunter and an Air Force vet, had respect for firearms.

I think I need somebody w/ gun knowledge and my giant stepson to handle this, maybe. I'm afraid of guns and am already sick of ppl coming out of the woodwork trying to rip me off!

Thanks, y'all.

Did I tell you that back in 73 I was 13 we Raced gokarts???? Well that was the first time I broke my back L4&L5 but they were compression breaks and had NO problems at all from that incindent!

People WILL rip you off!! and that's SO SAD!!!!! Probably not a bad idea to get someone with some knowledge of gun prices so you won't get ripped off even when you do sell them.

Not just for that Betheny guy's and guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Target shooting is fun!
    Death and taxes