Thread: Working as a RD with a SCI

Working as a RD with a SCI

I am a Dietitian. I have not worked since my accident resulting in C3, C4. I am currently interested in rejoining the workforce and hope to specialize in working with SCI clients as I know the difficulties in this area first hand. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may start my search for employment? I would be interested in possibly working via the internet with clients. Are there people out there that may be interested in my services? Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole gregory View Post
    I am a Dietitian. I have not worked since my accident resulting in C3, C4. I am currently interested in rejoining the workforce and hope to specialize in working with SCI clients as I know the difficulties in this area first hand. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I may start my search for employment? I would be interested in possibly working via the internet with clients. Are there people out there that may be interested in my services? Thank you for your time.
    Billing for services is going to be your biggest issue, as most people with SCI have very limited funds for private paying for professional services, and I don't know of any insurances that will reimburse for on-line nutritional counseling. I think you would do better to seek employment as an RD at a large rehabilitation center or SCI hospital.

(KLD)

SCI Nurse,
    I think you might have misunderstood my intention. I really would like to give advice for people who are at least paralyzed for 1 year or more. As you know, there are many nutritional related issues that can arise from paralysis. For example, pressure sores, weight gain/loss, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, bowel issues, etc. I have experienced some of these issues and feel that with my knowledge in nutrition, and my paralysis I would be able to help others. My sole purpose at this time is to help people and not promote a business. I would really like to be a resource for people with these needs. Possibly in the future, I would be interested in working as a consultant.

I would love some advice. I am currently two steps away from a feeding tube and iron shots. there are several people here who are suffering from starvation issues, and many more who are unhappy with weight gain. both common problems with sci. I have very low vit D level, sodium, potassium, hemoglobin, and glucose are also below acceptable levels, and it is due to poor appetite. I would love advice on putting together meals that would help me raise my labs. I am not underweight for my height. I have had recent protein in my urine though not at the moment. I am experiencing some muscle wasting, which happened the last time I had labs like this, however my urologist has restricted protein. I am not the only person here who has poor appetite and bad lab results due to malnutrition, so any advice on boosting appetite and improving vitamin deficiency is welcome. By the way, welcome to care cure. sorry you had to find this place, and thanx for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Billing for services is going to be your biggest issue, as most people with SCI have very limited funds for private paying for professional services, and I don't know of any insurances that will reimburse for on-line nutritional counseling. I think you would do better to seek employment as an RD at a large rehabilitation center or SCI hospital.

(KLD)
    yes, most of us are as broke as an unemployed dietition. we have a priest, Drs, nurses, all are volunteering their expertise on care cure. we could use a dietition. truely. I can trade guitar lessons, tie dye, or art work. I have been paid to do all of those things in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I would love some advice. I am currently two steps away from a feeding tube and iron shots. there are several people here who are suffering from starvation issues, and many more who are unhappy with weight gain. both common problems with sci. I have very low vit D level, sodium, potassium, hemoglobin, and glucose are also below acceptable levels, and it is due to poor appetite. I would love advice on putting together meals that would help me raise my labs. I am not underweight for my height. I have had recent protein in my urine though not at the moment. I am experiencing some muscle wasting, which happened the last time I had labs like this, however my urologist has restricted protein. I am not the only person here who has poor appetite and bad lab results due to malnutrition, so any advice on boosting appetite and improving vitamin deficiency is welcome. By the way, welcome to care cure. sorry you had to find this place, and thanx for any advice.
    Jody,
    that's terrible for you, I hope the woman here would be allowed to help you and others with this issued. I hope u get feeling better and get the proper nutritional guidance soon. good luck