Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Back from my trip to Ireland

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Sonia,
    My family is from Ennistymon, so needless to say I have been to Lisdoonvarna many times, including this latest trip! The signs were still up from last months "Matchmaking" festival, and while the festival was over the town seemed a little busier than usual. Perhaps leftovers who made a connection.

  2. #22
    Senior Member skippy13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    in a handbasket
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Skippy, if you could go I think you would find it refreshing for mind, body, and soul
    That is precisely the reason I wish to go somewhere like you did. It is a good way to reconnect to the spirit.

    I have also thought about getting a cottage on a remote scottish island but have no idea about how to go about it. I have some things I must work through and need the time and peace to do so. The rest of my life depends on it.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Skippy, like all things these days, one can find even a remote cottage through the internet. I used a company at www.holidaylettings.co.uk
    They post pictures of the houses and cottages, so you have some advanced idea of what you are renting, stairs, and what bedrooms and kitchen look like. Needless to say, most of the world is not concerned about bathroom configurations, so that is sometimes either a leap of faith or you have the ability to contact the owner to ask specific questions.

  4. #24

    Belfast

    Hi Eileen,

    Lovely to hear you had such a great time. My wife and I went to Belfast (her home town) and Fermanagh in June. Belfast is bustling with life; the pubs and restaurants are always crammed, but we had the best of times. If you haven't been there yet, GO! The lakes of Fermanagh offer the loveliest scenery and the surrounding towns (e.g. Enniskillen) are full of nice old shops and pubs. If you ever need advice about how to go and where to stay, don't hesitate to ask.

    Cheers,

    Erik

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Quote Originally Posted by egovaers View Post
    Hi Eileen,

    Lovely to hear you had such a great time. My wife and I went to Belfast (her home town) and Fermanagh in June. Belfast is bustling with life; the pubs and restaurants are always crammed, but we had the best of times. If you haven't been there yet, GO! The lakes of Fermanagh offer the loveliest scenery and the surrounding towns (e.g. Enniskillen) are full of nice old shops and pubs. If you ever need advice about how to go and where to stay, don't hesitate to ask.

    Cheers,

    Erik
    Thanks Erik! I have been to Belfast, several times actually. My first trip was at the height of "the troubles" and it was very tense, and having guns pointed at me by the British army as they drove through the streets in saracens wasn't a lot of fun. Having been back in more peaceful times made it far easier to enjoy what a beautiful city Belfast can be, and certainly anything in the rural areas is gorgeous. The mountains of Mourne will live in my memory forever as a spot of unique beauty. If I go back I will definitely find out where to stay from you and your wife, as your knowledge is far more recent than mine. Thanks!

  6. #26
    dunno what to say except thx. ireland been only place i want to go before i die. been almost everywhere else. don't think i'll make it, though. but your prose, eileen, was akin to the poet's. ty.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    dunno what to say except thx. ireland been only place i want to go before i die. been almost everywhere else. don't think i'll make it, though. but your prose, eileen, was akin to the poet's. ty.
    Thank you very much Cass, and I sure hope you make it to Ireland. I just posted some photos.

  8. #28
    Eileen

    Glad you enjoyed your trip and got home safe. Discover Ireland owes you for the free publicity. Next time you will have to head up to Donegal. When we were driving through the Glenties - it was like a scene from War of the Worlds - the heather was this amazing red. Sean thought he was in a Desert. It rained the whole time. So come back soon and bring the sun.

    Go n-éirigh an bóthar leat - may the road rise with you

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    last house on the left
    Posts
    9,791
    Quote Originally Posted by soimumireland View Post
    Eileen

    Glad you enjoyed your trip and got home safe. Discover Ireland owes you for the free publicity. Next time you will have to head up to Donegal. When we were driving through the Glenties - it was like a scene from War of the Worlds - the heather was this amazing red. Sean thought he was in a Desert. It rained the whole time. So come back soon and bring the sun.

    Go n-éirigh an bóthar leat - may the road rise with you

    Thank you, and I will definitely be back. It is just a matter of time and saving the necessary money to do so! I figure I am due for Donegal very soon, as the trip before this was to the Beara pennisula in Cork, the one before that to Dublin, and now this one to Connemara. Yep, Donegal should be next, and I hope we can meet up when I am able to make it over again!

Similar Threads

  1. wet wet wet..ireland
    By Muriel in forum Life
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 12:39 PM
  2. just got back from a sea kayaking trip!
    By steve garro in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
  3. anyone recommend very laid back beach style trip for a novice traveler?
    By wchair in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
  4. Off to Ireland tomorrow
    By Eileen in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
  5. Ireland
    By KiranA in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •