Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaluation of titanium ultralight manual wheelchairs using ANSI/ RESNA standards

Evaluation of titanium ultralight manual wheelchairs using ANSI/ RESNA standards

Comfortable propulsion and support, light weight, and small dimensions are important features that help preserve upper-limb integrity of manual wheelchair users and improve accessibility. The titanium wheelchair is a product developed in response to these goals, but none of the test results of titanium wheelchairs had been disclosed before this study was performed.

We hypothesized that these titanium wheelchairs would be in compliance with American National Standards Institute (ANSI)/Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA) standards. We tested 12 ultralight titanium rigid-frame wheelchairs (4 models) using ANSI/RESNA testing procedures and compared the test results with previously tested ultralight and lightweight aluminum wheelchairs.

All wheelchairs passed the forward braking effectiveness test, but eight wheelchairs tipped backward before inclining to 7 degrees in the rearward braking effectiveness test.

All wheelchairs passed the impact strength tests, but six wheelchairs failed in the static strength tests. Three wheelchairs successfully completed the fatigue tests, but the remaining wheelchairs failed prematurely.

This group of titanium wheelchairs had less equivalent cycles and value than the ultralight aluminum wheelchairs that were tested in a previous study. The failure modes revealed important design issues of each model. Our results suggest that manufacturers may need to perform more careful analyses before commercializing new products.

Please read the entire article here :

http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jou.../9/pdf/liu.pdf
    Last edited by sowseng; 10-28-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

the Pros and Cons of a Titanium Wheelchair

Titanium is one of the best metals available in terms of strength-to-weight ratio. This means that titanium wheelchairs are easier to maintain and perhaps the most durable money can buy. Titanium also does not suffer from "work fatigue" which is the process of a metal or material becoming fragile over time.
    Titanium wheelchairs can last indefinitely, at least in theory, because of their strength and the fact that the metal does not corrode. It is therefore unnecessary to use paint on the wheelchair as titanium does not need to be protected from the elements. This also makes it easy to keep a titanium wheelchair clean and new looking. Should it be scratched, all that is needed is a quick rub with the same type of scrubs used to clean cutlery.

For all its advantages, a titanium wheelchair has certain negative aspects. The most obvious one is the cost. Titanium is a relatively rare metal in comparison to aluminum. The cost per rod of titanium is over 30 times that of aluminum, and this puts a titanium wheelchair out of the reach of most people in financial terms.

A titanium wheelchair is also not the most comfortable option for those who suffer from extreme body discomfort; it moves and twists which can cause pain for the occupant of the wheelchair. Aluminum is generally preferable since a wheelchair’s frame should be rigid. A titanium wheelchair also does not handle as well as its aluminum counterpart; those who compete in the Paralympics seldom, for example, choose a wheelchair made from titanium for this reason.

I posted about the same article last July. See this thread for comments.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I posted about the same article last July. See this thread for comments.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    A titanium wheelchair is also not the most comfortable option for those who suffer from extreme body discomfort; it moves and twists which can cause pain for the occupant of the wheelchair.
    I don't really understand how titanium cause uncomfortable ? any opinion ?

Some CC users say L/Z frame titanium chairs have too much flex, and prefer box frame (e.g., prefer TiLite TR over ZR). I don't know any more than that.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Some CC users say L/Z frame titanium chairs have too much flex, and prefer box frame (e.g., prefer TiLite TR over ZR). I don't know any more than that.
    I don't feel the flex of mine, may be I am light weight

If titanium only dampen vibration in certain speed, why is it that Tilite use it as a selling point, since we have so many knowledge on web?

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    If titanium only dampen vibration in certain speed, why is it that Tilite use it as a selling point, since we have so many knowledge on web?
    Because you can feel the difference--especially with a cantilevered frame.

sowseng : it comes down to preferences.there's plenty of other wc manufacturers uses aluminum.you, for example, why dont u choose gt over gti?personally i choose tilite because ti is a work-stress-free metal, and i'm buying out of my pocket, so need something that lasts.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.