Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Pain contracts" and marijuana use

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    How common are these pain contracts between doctors and patients taking opiates for pain management? I take Percocet for pain management strictly on a as needed basis. When the pain reaches a certain threshold I'll take the medication, but I do so sparingly knowing that the trade-off is constipation. Some days I don't take any for pain because it hasn't reached the pain threshold that interferes with me being able to do the things I need to do that day. Other days the pain is so bad the Percocets don't help and it's just a miserable day. This pain is mainly in the butt and shoots down my legs and in my feet. I don't know what factors make the pain tolerable one day and not the other or the frequency of the pain.

On occasion I also like to use marijuana and I don't live in a marijuana friendly state. I know it's illegal, but I'm in my home and I try to be as responsible as I can. It relaxes me, makes me feel less anxious, helps me sleep, and uplifts my mood. On those days that are just miserable it helps me focus on something else other than the pain. I've never told my doctor this because of its legality and having that filed away in my medical records.

Now one day my doctor tells me in order to be prescribed opiates I need to be in compliance with a pain contract. The contract states that at any time I can be urine tested and if the results come back positive for marijuana I'll be cut off from being prescribed any opiates. That seems harsh. It's not like I'm abusing drugs or have ever asked my doctor to increase my medications. I think it's wrong that marijuana is scheduled as one of the most dangerous drugs having no medicinal value whatsoever according to the DEA, when even the American Medical Association disagrees. I think it's unfair and really none of their business unless it is affecting my health.

Does anyone know more about these pain contracts? Can they be challenged? Is this something all doctors must do now because of all the prescription drug abuse?
    I take methodone and i sign the same contract and one day i thought i had a UTI and request a urine and he says also to give him a drug screem urine, fine! I ask him to call me on the results for the UTI and he did with a good result. The same month I see him and sits me down with a story how im his best patient but have to let me go because my urine didnt show methodone at all 0mgs! Clearly we agree a ERROR but the contract to keep him clean had to dismiss me and befor leaving I took another urine and it came back good! A ERROR got me a red flag as a pill dealer, I was upset and wrote everyone up and my urine was trash after 30days. Contract sucks! I still get my methodone from my doc not pmr and he dont care! He knows I got screw but he made me sign the contract but rarely ask for urine. Im clean however!
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

While I understand the need for a pain management contract, I cannot understand why I have NEVER been asked to sign one. I have never even seen one. But when I asked about it, out of curiosity, I was just told.."We don't use them as we consider our patients adults." Then again I do go to a Spine Clinic affiliated with a hospital here so I seriously doubt that people with spinal disorders would be showing up on a ruse. Heck, I have never even been asked for a random urine test. I don't know, maybe things are just done differently in Indiana. To be honest, I never knew such contracts existed until I started seeing people post about them a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
    While I understand the need for a pain management contract, I cannot understand why I have NEVER been asked to sign one. I have never even seen one. But when I asked about it, out of curiosity, I was just told.."We don't use them as we consider our patients adults." Then again I do go to a Spine Clinic affiliated with a hospital here so I seriously doubt that people with spinal disorders would be showing up on a ruse. Heck, I have never even been asked for a random urine test. I don't know, maybe things are just done differently in Indiana. To be honest, I never knew such contracts existed until I started seeing people post about them a few years back.
    Its due to people selling them and its popular now for teens to get high on! Where I live at in the city you can find them on the street illegal.. Then again you can go to jail as selling it as a narcotic deal. Jersey is about to get bad due to the GOV cutting police and firefighter in these dangerous streets..
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Florida, Broward County in particular, is the pain clinic capital of the states. There is one every few blocks. All a "patient" needs to get "treatment" is an MRI, which can be done on premises. These bogus clinics have lines out the door. They are nothing short of drug dens owned by drug dealers, attracting users from as far away as Ohio. These people come every month to get a supply to bring back for personal use, and sale.

This is a huge problem, driving the legitimate pain management doctors to be extremely strict with their contracts.

There was a walk in clinic here where a doctor lost his licence a couple years ago for prescribing too many pain meds.
    I had gone there for ear infections and minor stuff and were usually just working class people with sick kids there.
    The sad thing was is that he really seemed to be sincerely trying to help people that fell through the cracks of insurance and could not go to pain clinics.
    It was a big local story and a lot of the patients spoke publicly about what they had been through.

That is a sad story, LindaT. Many legitamate PCs will not prescribe what we need for that very reason.

I forgot to mention, these clinics do not write an Rx that is filled at a pharmacy. They actually dispence the drugs, by the thousands. It is a loop-hole in state law that our stupid legislature can't find the time to correct. They are too busy attemting to pass laws to punish teachers, and force ulta-sounds on women before abortions.

Can't wait til they get rid of the DEA, it will be a glorious day for Americans. I've been thinking of moving to Canada myself.

Sorry to hear Timeonmyass-It sounds like your state is living in the stone age. I wonder how other states were able to get medical marijuana as a medical drug? It's legal here in Ontario, Canada and haven't seen any problems yet with this. I hope someday soon you would be able to use mmj some day soon. It's not fair if you're in pain or this medication is the only thing that works for you. I hope somehow the law changes for you there. Cher

Thanks everybody for the replies. Today I decided (at least for now) to stop using marijuana rather than risk the possibility of being cut off from my medications. The physician I see that the SCI clinic has changed and I suspect a urine test on my next visit, so it's better to be safe than sorry. I can live without it, but to be cut off from pain medication would be a lot harder.

I'm hopeful that our government will change its position on marijuana someday soon, but I'm not holding my breath. What gets me is how we get treated like children on the issue and at the same time alcohol gets a pass.

How long does it take to get it out of your system?