Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am back: 55 + 1 or 56 years post injury today.

I am back: 55 + 1 or 56 years post injury today.

I bounced on a trampoline one fall day.
    One slight slip and on the canvas I lay.
    All the caring nurses and all the medical men,
    could not put my spinal cord together again.
    From my autobiography: Just an Innocent Kid.
    Hi y’all,

I am back after spending some time away from my computer. I have peeked at CC from time to time, but little else. It has been an enjoyable summer. Ms. 55 and I did not do anything exciting, but spent much more time with family and friends.

One of the reasons that I picked today to return is that it is the day 55 becomes 55 + 1 or 56. I do not have anything planned for the day because we celebrated last week. My brother and two sisters visited for a few days. It is the first time the four of us have been able to get together in more than 10 years! As you might imagine, we spent a good bit of time talking about the “bad old days.” lol I have inserted a photo of us at the end of this post.

After going through so many anniversaries, it is difficult to think of anything different to do. Consequently, I am thinking about deferring celebrating for the next few years and planning a major bash for my 60th anniversary in 2014. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Here is my thinking at this point, but it is very preliminary:

I am thinking about having it at Kessler because that is where my rehab roots are. Although the facility is nothing like it was in 1955-56 when I was rehabbed there, technically I am an alumnus. They should be willing to provide some space free, especially since the day is a Sunday and not much will be going on. It is near major international airports so it will be convenient for CC members from the U.K. and other countries. Also, there are a number of CC members in NJ and it will even be convenient for Wise to attend.

Perhaps Larry (Wolfeman) would be willing to bring his grill and make some fancy hor d’ oeuvres. Nodecafplz might be persuaded to be MC, and Jody could provide some mood music.

Of course there would be an open bar. Perhaps some of the wheelchair manufactures would be willing to fund it in exchange for some display space. Other companies might be wiling to provide samples for a gift bag for everyone, like they often do for Oprah.

That is a far as I have gotten, and as I said, your suggestions will be appreciated.

Front (left to right) Me, my older brother, and my youngest sister,a.k.a. "the family princess." Would yo have guessed? lol

Back Ms. 55, my oldest sister, and my brother' s wife.

Attachment 37421
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Good to see you back 55 (56) and glad to hear you passed an enjoyable Summer.

With regards to your 60th. - did I hear the words "OPEN BAR"?

wonderful! welcome back!

I do not post often as well. Glad to see you back. I always enjoy reading your comments.

Hey 55! Great to see you back. What a nice picture of your get together and good to hear summer was relaxing and uneventful.
    I would think Kessler would be happy to let you have a big party there. And yes,Timaru and I might hang around the open bar a bit which might make us entertaining later!

yaaay! grandpa 55 +1 is back! glad ur summer was low key. i think your party sounds awesome!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Glad to have you back 56.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I bounced on a trampoline one fall day.

One slight slip and on the canvas I lay.
    All the caring nurses and all the medical men,
    could not put my spinal cord together again.

From my autobiography: Just an Innocent Kid.

Hi y’all,

I am back after spending some time away from my computer. I have peeked at CC from time to time, but little else. It has been an enjoyable summer. Ms. 55 and I did not do anything exciting, but spent much more time with family and friends.

One of the reasons that I picked today to return is that it is the day 55 becomes 55 + 1 or 56. I do not have anything planned for the day because we celebrated last week. My brother and two sisters visited for a few days. It is the first time the four of us have been able to get together in more than 10 years! As you might imagine, we spent a good bit of time talking about the “bad old days.” lol I have inserted a photo of us at the end of this post.

After going through so many anniversaries, it is difficult to think of anything different to do. Consequently, I am thinking about deferring celebrating for the next few years and planning a major bash for my 60th anniversary in 2014. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Here is my thinking at this point, but it is very preliminary:

I am thinking about having it at Kessler because that is where my rehab roots are. Although the facility is nothing like it was in 1955-56 when I was rehabbed there, technically I am an alumnus. They should be willing to provide some space free, especially since the day is a Sunday and not much will be going on. It is near major international airports so it will be convenient for CC members from the U.K. and other countries. Also, there are a number of CC members in NJ and it will even be convenient for Wise to attend.

Perhaps Larry (Wolfeman) would be willing to bring his grill and make some fancy hor d’ oeuvres. Nodecafplz might be persuaded to be MC, and Jody could provide some mood music.

Of course there would be an open bar. Perhaps some of the wheelchair manufactures would be willing to fund it in exchange for some display space. Other companies might be wiling to provide samples for a gift bag for everyone, like they often do for Oprah.

That is a far as I have gotten, and as I said, your suggestions will be appreciated.

Front (left to right) Me, my older brother, and my youngest sister,a.k.a. "the family princess." Would yo have guessed? lol

Back Ms. 55, my oldest sister, and my brother' s wife.

sounds great you're doing great, keep us involved, if able i'll be there
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I love the picture. 56 years is incredible. My one year anniversary is tomorrow and thanks to the great information given by you and many others on this forum, I am learning to live my 'new' life to the fullest.

Best wishes for many more years.

Mary
    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Glad to see you back. I always looked forward to reading your responses to some of the posts. You bring an appreciated sense of decorum.