Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everett talks about his recovery from paralysis

Everett talks about his recovery from paralysis

Everett talks about his recovery from paralysis
    Published: October 12th

HOUSTON (KTRK) — Three years ago, a hit on the football field left Kevin Everett paralyzed. He became one of the 300,000 Americans living with spinal cord injuries.
    Everett has recovered from his injury, and he credits his faith, rehab and something rarely done for spinal cord injury: cooling.

In 2007, Everett’s promising career with the Buffalo Bills came to an end with one hit.

“I remember making the hit, hitting the ground and having these thoughts in my head, ‘Wow, am I really paralyzed or is it a stinger?’” Everett said.

That’s what really scared him. And it was true.

But Everett is no longer paralyzed; he attributes his recovery to his faith, rehabilitation at The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) and cooling.

“Trying to imagine being in Antarctica, or something like that, and just falling in a lake, or something like that,” Everett said. “That’s how it felt; it felt like torture.”

read...

http://www.thescizone.com/news/10244...Injury+Zone%29

“Part of that was the type of injury he had [...]” Dr. Dong said.

Dr. Kim says [...] much safer than the studies where patients receive embryonic stem cells, which may cause cancer.
    All i needed to read, lol.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Dr. Kim says they are two to three years away from taking a patient’s own stem cells and using them to heal spinal cord injuries here in Houston. That’s considered much safer than the studies where patients receive embryonic stem cells, which may cause cancer.
    No they're not. Everett's injury wasn't very severe. He's lucky;
    nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    nothing more.
    Buck Nasty wassup so this is spam?
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

The sad part is that I remember a doctor in emerge talking about cooling the body when I was still in emerge ... that was in July 1985. No idea why it wasn't done.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but this story reminds me of a roommate that I had in rehab.

I was just starting my fifth month of rehab when I got a new roommate who was injured two weeks earlier and was a C7 incomplete with a little sensation in his toes. I was a complete C7. Everyday for the next eight weeks, he got some kind of return and it was like a party in his section of the room. It was hard to watch at first but it was hard to not be happy for him. I left rehab a week before him and he pretty much skipped out of rehab mostly recovered. His parents were very nice and used to tell the rest of us in the room to hang in there and we would recover too. Watching 'miracles' was one of the harder realities to come to terms with but I'm glad I was exposed to it because it helped me understand the various degrees of SCI.

For my roommate, it seemed more like an eleven week illness that he recovered from instead of life with a permanent disability. Once recovered, he ran like hell from it and never looked back. I don't blame him. I'm glad that Everett stopped to share his experiences.

Actually the cooling treatment is safer than stem cells for acute and has actually proven to work whereas stem cells are still in their trial phase with blind knowledge of what happens 10-20 years after the injection. So yes, that doctor is correct.

Everett had movement in his ankles before he received the cooling treatment. Such early movement is highly correlated with significant functional return. In other words, most people with that kind of movement but without the cooling would be where he is today.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    Everett had movement in his ankles before he received the cooling treatment. Such early movement is highly correlated with significant functional return. In other words, most people with that kind of movement but without the cooling would be where he is today.
    Link to him having movement prior to the therapy? because if I'm not mistaken he was given ice cold saline via IV that same night. So they had already initiated the practice before he even made it to FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    nothing more.
    Yep, he is a lucky sheep.