Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Equipment Needs Survey

Adaptive Equipment Needs Survey

I'm an engineer who has recently started my own company after getting laid off from the NASCAR team I worked for. I plan to do both general engineering consulting as well as creating unique and custom equipment for people with disabilities and need your input on what products are needed most.

After 12 years of being paralyzed and frustrated waiting for others to create the solutions I needed to improve my mobility and ADL’s, I decided it was time I tackle it myself. Recently Mark wrote an article about inventors coming out with devices that wow the media but either don't meet the actual needs of people disabilities or are priced out of everyone's budget, and I have felt this is too often the case myself. I don’t need a wheelchair that climbs stairs, I need a foot rest that doesn’t break when I go up a curb cut! I believe in simple solutions for individual issues, for the most part wheelchair technology is good, some of us just need to make a few tweaks to make it fit our needs better.

I put together a brief survey, http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F3GRST7, and would appreciate it if you could take the time to answer the 10 questions so I can better plan my company’s priorities. Like most entrepreneurs I'm trying to get funding for additional equipment and software and need some market opinion to justify it. I would appreciate any additional comments or ideas any of you have as well, and will make it a point to be more active on these message boards in the future.

Thanks,
    Josh
    http://www.crippleconcepts.com

I'll take your survey but, not going to lie, I'm not a fan of your company name...

As NASCAR fan of over 20 years, curiosity has me wondering who you worked for?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Simple survey. Done.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I'll take your survey but, not going to lie, I'm not a fan of your company name...
    Agreed, and I don't think I have the time to take the survey.

done, but jeez, change that name!
    Some find it offensive.
    There's no point in starting off your enterprise with a disadvantage like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
    I agree as well about the name. As far as time, there were 10 questions and it took less than 5 minutes.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a bunch of weenies!

A cripple is a person or animal with a physical disability, particularly one who is unable to walk because of an injury or illness.

Guess what, I can't walk - I'm a cripple! If you can't walk, you are a cripple too. That's all it means. I am much more comfortable being called a cripple than "handicapable" or "alternately-abled".
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Labels

Thanks for all the comments and taking the time to complete my survey. For those offended by the name, I think Donno nailed my feelings on the matter perfectly.

I am not disabled, I actually have lots of abilities! At the same time I'm not differently abled, last I checked I couldn't walk through walls or fly. I suppose handicapped is better than other words, but I feel it makes me sound lesser since in sports the term handicap is used in describing someone with lesser skill. I used to use the term gimp, however it sounds more like someone who walks with a limp than one who uses a wheelchair to me. Other than when describing people with disabilities, the only use of the word cripple I'm familiar with is in construction, where cripple studs are used in framing. Unlike the term handicap in sports, the cripple stud in framing is just as important as a regular stud just shorter and used above doors and above and below windows.

I will let my products speak for themselves, I suppose the company name may prevent a few sales but it is not going to change. Thanks again for taking the time to take my survey.

Brianm-

I worked for #78 Furniture Row Racing from 2005-2008.