Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: walking with legs stiffness and spastic

  1. #1

    walking with legs stiffness and spastic

    S/P MVA with thoracic spine trauma and spastic paraparesis:

    Finding:
    the exam is limited due to significant multi level metallic artifacts.
    Spinal fixation hardware is seen at the level of T3/T4/T5 with old moderate compression fracture of T6 and severe anterior compression fracture of T7 and other fixation hardware seen at the level of T7, T8 and T9.
    4.0 mm retropulsion of T7 with significant myelomalacia odf the thoracic cord at the level of T6/T7 disc level down to the lower end of T7.


    This what was written in my last MRI Spine Thoracic I had a car accident on 08/01/2008 and the surgery down on 08/23/2008. After that I was inpatient rehab hospital for almost 5 months I have movement in both legs in right leg it is almost 70% and 30% for the lift leg. I have 80 % sensation in most of my body. My lift side is too weaker than the right. I can walk with walker and KAFOO for my lift leg about 400 feet but with a lot of sweating and tired. I have spastic in both legs I am in Baclofen 80 mg but it doesn’t work. I don’t have any B&B or sexually issues. I need to share this with other I need to have your advice and about the sweating during the exercise. my legs is too stiffness I cannot transfer to the car alone I need to have someone with me to lift my legs inside the care.

    please ,please, please help me by sharing your aids

  2. #2
    Hello and welcome to C.C.C.

    My injury level is T-7-8 and my spinal cord suffered trauma. Consider it a blessing that you have the amount of function you have immediately after your injury.

    You may want to check with your doctor regarding the sweating. I sweat a great deal while exercising. I remember 6 months after my injury; sweating profusely as I attempted to transfer from my wheel chair to the excercise Matt and then tall kneeling on to a excercise ball. I could not believe the effort it took to perform such a small task and the amount of sweat the activity produced.

    It has been my experience and others in this forum, the sooner you begin and sustain an excercise regimen the better chance you have at recovering more function. Doctors indicated to me early on that the most return comes within the first 18 months. If you facilitate an excercise program along with the natural return you may experience, you can be ahead of the curve. For me, 4.8 years post injury I continue to experience return of function of certain muscle groups.

    Spasms and spascsity are part of the experience. I know your just a couple of months out from your injury, but excercise is the best way to alleviate some of it. If baclofen doesn't work for you, contact your doctor for alternative medications. I started out taking 120 Mg of baclofen and currently take 80Mg per day. Many people here have learned to control their spasms or use it to perform certain functions. Everyone is different.

    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kelrod View Post
    Hello and welcome to C.C.C.

    My injury level is T-7-8 and my spinal cord suffered trauma. Consider it a blessing that you have the amount of function you have immediately after your injury.

    You may want to check with your doctor regarding the sweating. I sweat a great deal while exercising. I remember 6 months after my injury; sweating profusely as I attempted to transfer from my wheel chair to the excercise Matt and then tall kneeling on to a excercise ball. I could not believe the effort it took to perform such a small task and the amount of sweat the activity produced.

    It has been my experience and others in this forum, the sooner you begin and sustain an excercise regimen the better chance you have at recovering more function. Doctors indicated to me early on that the most return comes within the first 18 months. If you facilitate an excercise program along with the natural return you may experience, you can be ahead of the curve. For me, 4.8 years post injury I continue to experience return of function of certain muscle groups.

    Spasms and spascsity are part of the experience. I know your just a couple of months out from your injury, but excercise is the best way to alleviate some of it. If baclofen doesn't work for you, contact your doctor for alternative medications. I started out taking 120 Mg of baclofen and currently take 80Mg per day. Many people here have learned to control their spasms or use it to perform certain functions. Everyone is different.

    Good Luck


    When I am standing and walking I can’t bend my legs because of the spastic it keep stiff even if I do stretching . I can’t lift it up. On the bid I can bend my right legs. what type of exercise I have to do. I feel tired in my shoulder and hand when I am walking I have to take rest every 100 ft then walk again. I am not walking every day I don’t have a good GYM’S in our area.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by wadei View Post
    When I am standing and walking I can’t bend my legs because of the spastic it keep stiff even if I do stretching . I can’t lift it up. On the bid I can bend my right legs. what type of exercise I have to do. I feel tired in my shoulder and hand when I am walking I have to take rest every 100 ft then walk again. I am not walking every day I don’t have a good GYM’S in our area.
    I recommend squats to help with the spasticity in your legs. This fatigues the tone in your legs and may help while walking.
    (The tone is why your legs are stiff)

    Also if your able, push ups are great for making your arms and upper body stronger. Free weights will help a lot.

    Just keep moving and exercising. Sitting around and doing nothing is the worst thing you can do.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kelrod View Post
    I recommend squats to help with the spasticity in your legs. This fatigues the tone in your legs and may help while walking.
    (The tone is why your legs are stiff)

    Also if your able, push ups are great for making your arms and upper body stronger. Free weights will help a lot.

    Just keep moving and exercising. Sitting around and doing nothing is the worst thing you can do.



    I meet my doctor yesterday and I told him about the spasticity and the leg stiff and he ask me to try the injection of the baclofen in the spinal cord if it is work with me he will use the baclofen Pump. I am afraid of that pump I don’t want to lost the control of the B&B. did anybody has problem with that. Is it going to give me free movement.

  6. #6
    Wadei , your posts are interesing and show some similarity to my condition. My legs are stiff and I stand with the walker with help and walk with the walker using my upper body to support my legs. I put a left brace on unlocled and walk . My walking is without bending my right knee, some bending with my left kinee. I struggle to ge 120 steps but have refined mymproceduire. I'm taking ampryra now and notice I can , witha struggle, left my left foot onto the peddle of my wheelchair. I can lift my right foot fronm the wheelchair over the top of the bathtub. The knee doesn;t bend, but stiff legged I get some lift. I do knees bends from the walker trying to get my legs to do th ework. I have no balacne and can't stand alone or for a period of time. My aids seem to think the ampyra has shown improvement. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks thus far. If something comes that reduces spasticity, I think things will improve somewhat. I hope that stem cell therapy will correct some of the connections and allow more natural movement. Good luck to you and us all. By the way, I don't have bladder control and take baclofin orally. I don't want a pump either and am hoping this year gives an option of stem cell therapy that will alow us all to see improvements in our conditions.

    keeping on

    keeping on

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Wadei , your posts are interesing and show some similarity to my condition. My legs are stiff and I stand with the walker with help and walk with the walker using my upper body to support my legs. I put a left brace on unlocled and walk . My walking is without bending my right knee, some bending with my left kinee. I struggle to ge 120 steps but have refined mymproceduire. I'm taking ampryra now and notice I can , witha struggle, left my left foot onto the peddle of my wheelchair. I can lift my right foot fronm the wheelchair over the top of the bathtub. The knee doesn;t bend, but stiff legged I get some lift. I do knees bends from the walker trying to get my legs to do th ework. I have no balacne and can't stand alone or for a period of time. My aids seem to think the ampyra has shown improvement. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks thus far. If something comes that reduces spasticity, I think things will improve somewhat. I hope that stem cell therapy will correct some of the connections and allow more natural movement. Good luck to you and us all. By the way, I don't have bladder control and take baclofin orally. I don't want a pump either and am hoping this year gives an option of stem cell therapy that will alow us all to see improvements in our conditions.

    keeping on

    keeping on
    Last week I sent my medical report to the XCell-Center in Germany asking if they can treat me by the stem cell. Today I received there replay and they said yes I can be treat and it will work with me. I am planning to go by end of this year.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wadei View Post
    Last week I sent my medical report to the XCell-Center in Germany asking if they can treat me by the stem cell. Today I received there replay and they said yes I can be treat and it will work with me. I am planning to go by end of this year.
    ur still freshly injured.. i would wait a year or two...
    im just over a year. c5/c6 walking but im 1000% better than i was at 4 months.. and ive adjusted my life to sci. its hard but u will learn to live with it.

    stem cell therapy right now is too early.. u dont want to risk losing what u have now or even dieing
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wadei View Post
    Last week I sent my medical report to the XCell-Center in Germany asking if they can treat me by the stem cell. Today I received there replay and they said yes I can be treat and it will work with me. I am planning to go by end of this year.
    of course they will accept you.. u r paying them the $$$
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    ur still freshly injured.. i would wait a year or two...
    im just over a year. c5/c6 walking but im 1000% better than i was at 4 months.. and ive adjusted my life to sci. its hard but u will learn to live with it.

    stem cell therapy right now is too early.. u dont want to risk losing what u have now or even dieing


    I’m already 2.4 years injury and my most problem is the legs mussels stiffens and the duration of standing and walking. I don’t want to use the baclofen pump because I might loss the control of the B&B. I have to try everything that it might help. I hope with stem cell the spasm will be less.

Similar Threads

  1. Leg Stiffness
    By kelrod in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
  3. Orangutan study suggests early walking on two legs
    By Buck503 in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 02:16 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
  5. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •