Thread: PTR-bot

PTR-bot

I’m starting this thread to talk about the power add-on unit (for manual wheelchairs) that is designed and built by pattherat. “PTR-bot” is not the official name of the unit, but since Pat has yet to decide on one, I’ll be using it (PTR-bot) as an unofficial tag for the purpose of this thread.

Earlier this year, I was in the process of figuring out the best wheelchair/seating/propulsion combination to support my lifestyle needs and goals. During that process, I happened to meet Pat and learn about his invention. After some discussion, he agreed to build one for me; and now my PTR-bot is part of a completely new set-up that includes a Ti-lite TR and Ride Designs custom seating.

I’ve been using the new set-up for about two months now; and while I’m still working to get the custom seating dialed in, I can tell you that I’m completely satisfied with the PTR-bot. Operationally it has been flawless. Conceptually it continues to impress – not just me – but, pretty much everyone who happens to see it.

Some notable characteristics:
    • Requires no modifications to the wheelchair – no alterations, no added weight.
    • Independent engage and disengage – requires no extra assistance.
    • Quick and easy engage and disengage – a few seconds either way (honestly).
    • Lightweight – about 75 lbs.
    • Small footprint – fits inside the same space as the manual wheelchair.
    • Nimble – does not restrict normal movement patterns of the manual wheelchair.
    • Good range – don’t know exactly how good; but, so far, it’s beyond the range of my daily activities.
    • Plenty of torque – able to handle a steep incline with no decrease in power.
    • Adequate speed – could use a little more top-end (if anything).
    • Power and flexibility to navigate uneven terrain – limits in this area can mostly be attributed to the chair itself (short wheelbase and small front casters in particular).

I can imagine all sorts of applications for the PTR-bot, with the key advantage being the ability to easily engage and disengage relative to personal circumstances and varying situations.

I’ll do my best to answer any questions. Hopefully, Pat will jump in here too.

For what it’s worth, I’m a semi-active C-5-incomplete, 15 years post injury.

Attachment 37402

Attachment 37403
    Know Thyself

Like the setup Rick, What kind of lateral backrest is on the Tr. Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Like the setup Rick, What kind of lateral backrest is on the Tr. Looks interesting.
    It’s a Ride custom back, fitted specifically for use with my Ride custom cushion. Having that good lumbar support and no shoulder restriction, for me, serves better upper-body function.
    Know Thyself

Rick, to what wheelchair components does it transfer/provide its power? The camber tube, perhaps?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Rick, to what wheelchair components does it transfer/provide its power? The camber tube, perhaps?
    Right. There’s an electronically activated arm that connects to the camber tube.
    Know Thyself

This thing is so awesome. I'd love to get one.