Thread: anxiety question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

anxiety question

Hi everyone, I haven't written in a while but since my sci i have been dealing with different levels of anxiety. When I had my last surgery for bowel and bladder rerouting they started me on 30 mg of cymbalta. A little while after I got back to life my rehab doctor increased it to 60 mg because I still wasn't getting as much relief as I wanted. It was helping till about a month and a half ago when I started getting the old feelings back again. Even though it's not as severe as the first time I was wondering if maybe I should ask for another increase or see if there is something else that would work better?

Is this a common problem people with sci have depending on level of injury? What do some of you do to help with your anxiety? Any info would be great.

Thanks

Breath and try not to let things bother you. You now you have been there a 1000 times before and it's just another day with an SCI. I have had the same problem. I am able bodied sort of and that I have full function but I have severe centarl from my chest down. Trying to do anything causes the cental pain to start and you have to just live with it. I don't think medicine helps at least it hasn't for me. You have to learn how to cope and reassure yourself. It's annoying and agggravating and they are all things that should be easy but because of SCI they are hard. Try to distract yourself. I find an Ipod with earphones very helpful with music that you enjoy. Also just focus on the present and try not to worry about the future or the past. It's one day at a time. Some times those days are way too long. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Good advice steveg, but I have found that it's much easier to not focus on anxiety, depression and pain when I stay busy and involved. I went back to college after I got crippled, and have been there ever since (17 years). I live in a small town, and am on the planning board, school committee, ADA committee, and school board - they always need someone who has time, commitment, and (life) experience.

With 17 years of being crippled, I have found that the things that have put me in a panic are when something is going on in the body that I can't figure out. Things like overheating, high BP, Low BP, a fever, feeling sick, etc. with not enough feeling to tell what is causing it. I have also found that as steveg says, just relax, breathe normally, and try not to let it freak you out. It's also really helpful to just talk to someone about it. Someone's always here on the forum, and if there is no one else around, shoot us a message here - someone will probably respond.

Hang in there,
    Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I've found that after I take some antidepressant / anti-anxiety drugs for a while I sort of build up a tolerance to them and either need an increase in doseage or a change to a different drug. I recommend you talk to your MD first. Have you tried any of the anxiety-specific drugs like Atavan or Xanax? Just curious. I wish you well. No one deserves anxiety and depression.

My life is very busy but sometimes there is just no way around feeling the way I do. I am taking a college class, I'm on 2 committees, volunteer 3 days a week at a rehab doing office work, and I workout 4 days a week usually. I don't know how much more busy I can make myself. I guess for me it's at night when I feel this way.

Sue I have tried both atavan and xanax. I don't like taking them at home. It makes me more nervous so the only time I have asked for atavan is when I have been in the hospital. I think it's because I know I have someone coming in throughout the night to check on me that I'm more comfortable taking in that setting.

Thanks so far to all who have responded.

Blog Entries
    I have to agree that nights are the worst. I find myself staying up until I'm too tired to think about much of anything - not that it always works...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury