Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spasticity/rigidity help Wise, RNs, everyone!

It's always such a relief when the weekend is over and things can actually get moving again...and there are four more days ahead to straighten out the kinks, if need be. I used to hate Mondays, now I love them! Best wishes with the meds, Snuz.

I decided not to suffer through the name brand Zanaflex after using the generic Tizanidine. My GP said "there's not enough difference between brand and generic to expect a different outcome" My PA at the neuro's office won't be happy because I requested Valium for nighttime and she said because Valium is addictive she didn't want to prescribe it unless it was the "last resort." My GP said 1 Valium at night is not a problem for addiction. And I don't have an addictive personality.

I ended up canceling the rest of my Physical Therapy after about 6 visits. My PT and I were finding that after 6 visits my spasticity was much worse after each visit for a couple days. Anyway, she thinks since I stretch an do range-of-motion twice a day what I really needed was a standing frame at home. So, we will see.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Thanks for the update, Snuz, I was wondering how things were going. The PA's concern about Valium being addictive seems a little beside-the-point, considering what you need it for...the GP sounds sensible. About PT, I've noticed a dramatic increase in spasticity after some types of exercise, but not others...stretching seems to help most, and the standing frame sounds like a good idea.

I wonder why exercise can increase spasticity? I have the same problem.

I had a PT say to me that the more we worked the muscles in stretching, the worse the spasticity got, and boy did I notice too. I still have issues with it and wonder if there is anything to do about it.

It is really annoying to have your hands curl in spasms when you try to do things like drive or type or even hold a book. I have the same problem over all, but the hands and arms cause the most problems because it limits what I can do. Even grabbing the rims of the wheelchair will cause my hands to spazz and not let go on their own.

I take baclofen 20 mg 3x per day, but wonder if I am not reaching the point where I have to take more? I spazz worse about three hours after I take the Baclofen...why?
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post

A had a PT say to me that the more we worked the muscles in stretching, the worse the spasticity got, and boy did I notice too. I still have issues with it and wonder if there is anything to do about it.
    Recently I asked a PT that question, and she said that "we don't want to strengthen a spastic muscle group, because that strengthens the spasticity." She said that the quads are the usual culprits, as they are strongest muscle group in the body and initiate a tremendous spasmodic pull on the hamstrings. Makes sense to me...but it does limit our options. I'm pretty much back to yoga stretching, as anything else ramps up my spasticity to levels that interfere with daily activities (sleep included).

Quads aside, mornings on awakening are just awful...can't even reach for a cup of coffee without my whole body spazzing up, and I just have to wait until the spasmodic ripples "bleed out," as they cannot be controlled. I so know what you mean about driving and holding books, Skippy.

(Edited to add: I don't know about the Baclofen or at what point it becomes necessary to up the dosage.)
    Last edited by Bonnette; 11-11-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Addition

Guess what you guys....

I got a full-size adjustable bed...like a regular hospital bed but with massage and a clock with an alarm and the ability to preset the massage to go on everyday at the sametime. I like it! Now I have more ways to move besides flat on my back or straight on one side. I get less claustraphobic at night now. I found that when I elevate my legs and use the massage function my whole body gets more numb. I suppose because it irritates the central nervous system. It does help the pain level in my back muscles tho. Now I just need to get half rails so I can roll over back and forth.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Hey, that bed sounds great, Snuz...lots of functions to experiment with.

We have a bed like that too, ours is a sleep number bed with massage, don't really use the massage though because it is loud. Sounds like the bed is about to take off. We also have the super pole next to Davids side of the bed which has a small about 18 inch handrail on it that he uses to roll over and then a trapeze on top which he uses to adjust him self with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post

I had a PT say to me that the more we worked the muscles in stretching, the worse the spasticity got, and boy did I notice too. I still have issues with it and wonder if there is anything to do about it.

It is really annoying to have your hands curl in spasms when you try to do things like drive or type or even hold a book. I have the same problem over all, but the hands and arms cause the most problems because it limits what I can do. Even grabbing the rims of the wheelchair will cause my hands to spazz and not let go on their own.

I take baclofen 20 mg 3x per day, but wonder if I am not reaching the point where I have to take more? I spazz worse about three hours after I take the Baclofen...why?
    I take the same amount of Baclofen that you do Skippy, and I am playing with the idea of slowly tapering off and see what happens again. One of my PTs mentioned last year that the more I exercise...the more stiff and rigid I get and the less Baclofen I take the easier it is to move me. It worked before to taper off some. I don't want to increase it anyway.

Part of the problem with spasticity and rigidity is the weather...the colder it gets the worse it gets. They got their first snow storm up north yesterday. Ugh!

Part of the problem is the weather? Try all of the problem! I really get stiff when the weather gets cold. I cannot bend and then cannot unbend when I finally can get bent. My doc calls it gelling. I call it more like rigor mortis.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess