Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New injury 10-11-10

thanks for the site....right now he is in London Ontario.....but family wise I am in Toronto and his wifes parents are in Brampton....so pretty much anywhere south central ontario would be good...

Milk shakes and smoothies would be great at this point. He should progress rapidly to normal food, and it is great to arrange to bring in some of his favorites. High protein and high calorie is important at this point, and of course he needs the right vitamins and minerals.

I would suggest you read and print out the following materials for him and his family:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...adjustment.htm

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...3@AcuteSCI.htm

He needs to get to the rehab center ASAP and get out of the diaper and get the indwelling catheter out. He will learn how to manage his bowel and bladder himself. It takes work, but it can be done so that he does not have bowel or bladder incontinence.

Lyndhurst has an excellent reputation in Canada.

There are farmers with disability organizations in Canada...check for those terms on Google and you will find a number of them.

(KLD)

Well a bit of cheerful and good news....his pain meds are finally worked out and altough he still feels spasms he is much better pain wise. they took out the catherer thing he is now able to sit in a chair...his spirits are very high....his goal now is to be able to put on his uniform and (than he said or wheel)
    He wants to do physio like all the time, walking on the parralel bars all the way down however his legs are like jello and the muscles somewhat ceased.....He looked like 100% better which was such a relief to see. I know this is only the beginning but I am sure that one day he will be walking again....i know a lot of ppl say it take a lot of hard work but I dont think that is all you need....I think it all depends on the injury too and miracles really but right now things are looking good. He is getting transfered tomorrow to a SCI rehab in London.

thanks everyone for the info it has definalty been helpful...i saw diff posts about exercices ect....will start reading these....thx

sorry your family is going through this. lots of info here at carecure. please keep us posted in his condition.

Sounds like things are going very well, indeed! Continued blessings to you and brother, and thank you for sharing this progress report.

"He wants to do physio like all the time, walking on the parralel bars all the way down however his legs are like jello and the muscles somewhat ceased.....He looked like 100% better which was such a relief to see."

That is a great start. I know that as soon as I was able to get into the gym and start working out I never missed the opportunity.
    I will also send you a private message.

Geoffrey

Anne-Marie
    My son is an L1 burst fracture. He too couldn't sit up after the surgery. Upper body muscles get weak and it takes time to rebuild them after the surgery. His first physical therapy was siting on the side of the bed playing cards and trying not to fall over. My son is independent now and is doing great. The first few months are very difficult. I can't stress enough the importance of good physical therapy and exercise.
    Take care.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt