Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordering ZRA S2... Please comment on measurements

Ordering ZRA S2... Please comment on measurements

After measuring and remeasuring for the umpteenth time based on the chair I have been using. I have settled on the following specs for a ZRA Series 2 that I plan to order shortly.

Rear seat width: 16" (no taper)
    Seat depth: 18" (same frame depth)
    Front seat height: 18"
    Rear seat height: 15.5"
    Front frame angle: 85 degrees
    Footrest: Aluminium, 4" narrow than RSW (1.5" taper)
    Seat back type: Folding titanium adjustable height that locks when folded
    Tishaft back release bars: Titanium
    Integrated push handles
    Seat back: Medium folding set at 16" + 4" deep rigidizer bar
    Seat back angle: 92 degrees
    COG: 2"
    Rear wheel spacing: 1"
    Camber: 2 degrees (Titanium)
    Front casters: 5" x 1" softroll tires
    Front forks: Tilite standard with titanium fork stems
    Rear wheel: 24" Spinergy wire wheel with low flange hub, pneumatic threaded
    Axel: Stainless steel quick release
    Handrims: Aluminium, long tab
    Wheel locks: Aluminium scissor lock
    Back upholstery: Black, tension adjustable by straps
    Seat upholstery: Tension adjustable bolt-on
    Side guards: Aluminium rigid removable
    Armrests: Swing away flip-back tubular
    Large seat pouch + catch all

1. I added 1" to the seat depth as there is a space of 3" from the edge of the seat to the back of my knees in the existing chair.

2. The latex + polyurethane cushion I have been using is 1.5".

3. If I remember correctly, the front frame angle is 80 degrees. I prefer my feet tucked in thus 86 degrees for the new chair.

4. Other specs are similar. I am also getting the 16X18 Stimulite Classic and a set of 24" Spinergy Spox Everyday Wheels.

Please comment on the measurements, parts and options. I thought I had it all figured out but was overwhelmed by Tilite's form. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    After measuring and remeasuring for the umpteenth time based on the chair I have been using. I have settled on the following specs for a ZRA Series 2 that I plan to order shortly.

Rear seat width: 16" (no taper)
    Seat depth: 18" (same frame depth)
    Front seat height: 18"
    Rear seat height: 15.5"
    Front frame angle: 85 degrees
    Footrest: Aluminium, 4" narrow than RSW (1.5" taper)
    Seat back type: Folding titanium adjustable height that locks when folded
    Tishaft back release bars: Titanium
    Integrated push handles
    Seat back: Medium folding set at 16" + 4" deep rigidizer bar
    Seat back angle: 92 degrees
    COG: 2"
    Rear wheel spacing: 1"
    Camber: 2 degrees (Titanium)
    Front casters: 5" x 1" softroll tires
    Front forks: Tilite standard with titanium fork stems
    Rear wheel: 24" Spinergy wire wheel with low flange hub, pneumatic threaded
    Axel: Stainless steel quick release
    Handrims: Aluminium, long tab
    Wheel locks: Aluminium scissor lock
    Back upholstery: Black, tension adjustable by straps
    Seat upholstery: Tension adjustable bolt-on
    Side guards: Aluminium rigid removable
    Armrests: Swing away flip-back tubular
    Large seat pouch + catch all

1. I added 1" to the seat depth as there is a space of 3" from the edge of the seat to the back of my knees in the existing chair.

2. The latex + polyurethane cushion I have been using is 1.5".

3. If I remember correctly, the front frame angle is 80 degrees. I prefer my feet tucked in thus 86 degrees for the new chair.

4. Other specs are similar. I am also getting the 16X18 Stimulite Classic and a set of 24" Spinergy Spox Everyday Wheels.

Please comment on the measurements, parts and options. I thought I had it all figured out but was overwhelmed by Tilite's form. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Why not ZR ? Since you know your measurement well.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Stick with the ZRA until you absolutley know your measurements. 3" between the knees and seat is long. Ideally, it should be around two or three fingers widths especially since you are ging with an 85o rather than an 80o. That brings the knees further in, so account for that. I'm 6'2" and use an 85o with an 18" long seat..

You might want ot just get the standard 5x1" from Ti and order 5x1.5" softrolls. The 1.5's are much more efficient than the 1". What are the surfaces you are riding on? Smooth or rough and soft.

From previous posts, I would go with Titanium caster stems before ti locking when folded backrest. Any reason you why you want it to lock when folded?

Don't sweat the fsh, cog and rsh as they can always be adjusted; which I'm sure you will be doing once you get the chair. Width and seat length can't so be aware of that. Good idea of the 85o, much tighter turning radius. The measurments for fsh will change due to your using an 80o now vs. the 85o you will be getting so it's good that you go for the ZRA rahter than the ZR unless Ti could figure out the difference. Kind of risky going with the ZR considering you live 1/2 a world away from them.IMO of course.

18" fsh and you use a 16" wide chair. It is better to use a narrow chair with sideguards than a wider chair with no sideguards. If you use a chair too wide, you will eventually spread out to that width. I noticed a big difference in the way I sit using a 17" with sideguards versus an 18" with none.

sowseng - I am not confident enough to go for ZR. This is my first rigid chair.

Patrick - I am going for the ZRA for that reason. I am 5'10" and had asked for 18" seat depth but I was given 17" instead. Never liked the fact that I could fit 4 fingers and a bit more between back of knee and seat. Hopefully this will be a better fit.

Will the 86 degrees bring my feet too far back? That is one of my doubts.

I am running on 5"X1" caster now. I am ok with it except for the rare occasions on uneven ground. Will the 5"X1.5" fit into the fork?

Locked when folded seat back - I took it because it was there, no other reason. Is it an unnecessary function that I can do without? Should I switch that with titanium quick release as titanium fork stems are in the specs already?

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback. Like you said, I am half the world away from Tilite. Better get it right with an adjustable chair first, else I be stuck with an ill fitting one.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Hey Peter, I'm sure you can always switch casters if needed. I'm sure the 1.5's will fit. They did for me. !8" will be okay. You'll like the 85o much better.

IMO you don't need the back lock when folded. You don't need quick release on the caster stems; They were a headache for me. If you want to add anything, perhaps the luggage carrier. I used mine when we went on a trip and liked it a lot. Wheel Alignment guage is a usefull tool also.

Yeah, stick with ZRA. Not much difference in weight anyway.

That's definitely not 80deg.i have tilite with 80deg.yours looks like 70/75, but then, your feet placed like me in my 85deg, so i think it'll be okay.but it really need transiting period.you'll feel your feet tucked in.

5x1.5 will fit the new fork, be it the normal tilite fork or the slipstream.

locked seat when folded - if it's free, just go for it. I can live without it. doesnt bother me anyway.i use to fold it when getting into a car, but now i dont bother folding it (more bars to grip).maybe sometimes when i do need it.

unless u factor the ride cushion like jetstream etc, why bother with 4" rigidizer bar?it looks sucks, add weight as well.if there's no reason behind it, the 3" is fine.

I agree with patrick. I personally use 16 before, and i thought i need a compact ride, so i get myself a 15" with aluminum sideguard (factoring the stress), and I'm glad to do so...i'm definitely bigger than u!u're thin!16" would be too big!

owh yeah, that's right. I dont fit the japanese 15" as well...tilite is different.trust me, as the one who have used both...
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post

Will the 86 degrees bring my feet too far back? That is one of my doubts.

Depends if your frame deep is ok for you, if your frame deep is ok your legs will be similar at your pic.

I am running on 5"X1" caster now. I am ok with it except for the rare occasions on uneven ground. Will the 5"X1.5" fit into the fork?

No

My frame is 85ยบ and i have the legs similar than your in your pic, even i could put them forward.

I agree with Nia where your current chair looks more like 70/75 degrees, yet you have your legs pulled back. If in doubts about 85 degrees, 80 is a safe option to go with.

Now, I disagree with Nia on the rigidizer bar; I can understand going without if one has a low back height, which you do not. My chair has it and it is my first with it and I really like it.

Second guessing things is common and you will continue to do so after you get your chair. There are things I question on mine but without trying the alternatives I really can't be sure which I'd prefer.

Have you thought about a solid seat pan?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    5x1.5 will fit the new fork, be it the normal tilite fork or the slipstream.
    According to Frog Legs (I've heard), their aluminum casters will not fit the TiLite Slipstream. I believe their Lexan casters might. Much discussion has occurred on CC about the proprietary nature of TiLite's Slipstream fork. I remain confused about all this, so do some research.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    According to Frog Legs (I've heard), their aluminum casters will not fit the TiLite Slipstream. I believe their Lexan casters might. Much discussion has occurred on CC about the proprietary nature of TiLite's Slipstream fork. I remain confused about all this, so do some research.
    This is a question that the vendors -- SportAid, Bike-on, Spinlife -- should be tasked with, preferably by someone who's purchased a ZR/ZRA Series 2 with Slipstreams from one of these retailers.