Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 18x16+1 85 Degree TiLite ZRA S2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

18x16+1 85 Degree TiLite ZRA S2

It has been a while since I posted pics & specs. This is the very first ZRA Series 2 spec'd by a colleague and I. While far from a comprehensive review, here are some pics and info to start with...

The specs...

TiLite ZRA Series 2

Polished Frame w/ Black Anodize Package
    18" Seat Width
    16" Seat Depth
    17" Custom Frame Depth
    18.5" Front / 15" Rear STF Height
    85 Degree Front Angle w/ V Front End
    15" Seat To Footrest/11.5" Footrest Spacing
    Folding Titanium Back w/ Carbon Fiber Release Bar
    95 Degree Back Angle
    0 Degree Carbon Fiber Camber Tube
    3.75" Center Of Gravity
    25" Spinergy LX Wheels With Flexrims
    Slipstream Fork With Titanium Stems
    4x1.5" "Plastic Caster With Poly Tire"
    Aluminum Scissor Lock
    Tension Adj By Strap Seat And Back Upholstery
    Aluminum Side Guards Profiled To Rear Wheels

Rear axle adjustments. Much better than the ZRa Series 1. So much better, in fact, that I may have chosen a ZRA S2 instead of my ZRc had the ZRA S2's rear axle hardware been available 3 years ago...

Finally for this evening, a comparison of an 85 degree 16" deep ZRA S2 with a polished 1" longer frame and an 85 degree 17" deep ZRA S2 with the satin finish. Switch the seat slings, and magically the satin chair would have the custom frame depth (i.e. Charge more to use less upholstery, Brilliant!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Finally for this evening, a comparison of an 85 degree 16" deep ZRA S2 with a polished 1" longer frame and an 85 degree 17" deep ZRA S2 with the satin finish. Switch the seat slings, and magically the satin chair would have the custom frame depth (i.e. Charge more to use less upholstery, Brilliant!!!)
    Yes. . . I debated between a 15" and 16" deep seat pan. I ordered 16" because the frame length is right. If I want a 15" deep seat, I know a good sheet-metal shop that can trim my aluminum seat pan. I hope the cushion won't be a big deal.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It has been a while since I posted pics & specs. This is the very first ZRA Series 2 spec'd by a colleague and I. While far from a comprehensive review, here are some pics and info to start with...

The specs...

TiLite ZRA Series 2

18" Seat Width
    16" Seat Depth
    17" Custom Frame Depth
    95 Degree Back Angle
    3.75" Center Of Gravity
    Aluminum Scissor Lock

Rear axle adjustments. Much better than the ZRa Series 1. So much better, in fact, that I may have chosen a ZRA S2 instead of my ZRc had the ZRA S2's rear axle hardware been available 3 years ago...

Nice chair, what is the weight ?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Nice chair, what is the weight ?
    A little bit over 21.5 lbs without side guards, a little under 23 lbs. with them. 4x1 casters, composite scissor locks, cf side guards, and Spinergy LX wheels with anodized rims and SpeedRuns would reduce the weight, but weight isn't everything.

A little bit over 21.5 lbs without side guards, a little under 23 lbs. with them. 4x1 casters, composite scissor locks, cf side guards, and Spinergy LX wheels with anodized rims and SpeedRuns would reduce the weight, but weight isn't everything.
    A full 1/3 less than what I'm sitting in, and you're not even trying. It really is time to shop...

That's impressive. Is this with the new thinner tubing?

The specs...

TiLite ZRA Series 2

18" Seat Width
    16" Seat Depth
    17" Custom Frame Depth
    95 Degree Back Angle
    3.75" Center Of Gravity
    Aluminum Scissor Lock
    aluminum side guards are much heavier than CF. With all the other K0009 features and expensive finish, why did you opt for Al side guards? Did I miss something while doing my research?

Attachment 37356
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    aluminum side guards are much heavier than CF. With all the other K0009 features and expensive finish, why did you opt for Al side guards? Did I miss something while doing my research?
    The side guards are aluminum for the same reason that your AeroZ will have the specs and color that you wanted. You wanted them. This veteran wanted aluminum side guards and I wasn't going to question his reasoning because he is known to stress his side guards over time.

One thing is that when they are profiled to the wheels, they do not drill the additional adjustment holes like they do in with the standard aluminum sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    Ah...2 things crossed my mine. I remembered that stephen spoke about some defects regarding the carbon camber tube. do they resolved it?since you ordered it, and i believe in your professionalism as an OTR. (and u're more updated on such issues... )
    This one was probably built prior to the infamous thread and any changes being made to their production process are likely to still be in process since they evaluate such matters thoroughly before marking changes. As for professionalism, the major difference between stephen212 and I has to do with how we spell our first names--using a "v" instead of "ph" is definitely the more professional way to go!
    and the other one is about the scissor brake.have they improved the design?because u usually swap it with quickie ergo scissor...so it got me thinking.
    It was time to give TiLite a second chance. It is important to do this whenever a manufacturer comes out with a "WTF were they thinking?" design because you may otherwise miss out on positive design changes. (I wish all manufacturers would personally send me an email to notify me of design changes, but that would be impractical for them and I would probably get so many I wouldn't open them anyway). The aluminum scissor lock is a nice design overall, but there were clearance issues between the handle and cross bar on both chairs. I know they are aware of this particular issue and hopefully we see a design revision soon. I also had an issue with the lever tending to catch the cuff of my long sleeve shirt as I brought the handle forward to engage them. Will I go back to the Quickie Ergo scissors? I'm not sure. Quickie made some minor changes to that design which make it a little less reliable. I'll probably see what feedback I get from the veterans who use these chairs.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 10-22-2010 at 06:10 PM.

This veteran wanted aluminum side guards and I wasn't going to question his reasoning because he is known to stress his side guards over time.
    Same as my reasoning. I fit 16", and forcefully fit myself into 15". So a stiff and sturdy sideguard is needed. Aluminum is a better choice...

Pity quickie. I had quickie ergo scissor on my spare chair, prior to what you've recommended. Good stuff alright. I guess when they have nothing to improve, they just tend to gamble on something which they (may) think is nothing they would care less. But quickie parts are cheaper. Do you think the compact wheel lock on the q7 will fit a tilite?mine is tilite XC.i'm not sure what tubing size they used for this chair.but it seems like it doesnt use any clamp, like the wheel lock is bolted to the chair.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Do you think the compact wheel lock on the q7 will fit a tilite?mine is tilite XC.i'm not sure what tubing size they used for this chair.but it seems like it doesnt use any clamp, like the wheel lock is bolted to the chair.
    You will have to drill your frame and put rivet nuts for put this.

. Aluminum is a better choice...

No for sideguards.
    Last edited by totoL1; 10-22-2010 at 01:42 PM.