Thread: 18x16 85 Degree Quickie GTi with Elastomer Rear Suspension

18x16 85 Degree Quickie GTi with Elastomer Rear Suspension

I've been meaning to post this for awhile because I think there are some issues end users need to be aware of if they are considering a rear suspension option on any of Quickie's rigid frames. More about that later.

While I did not have much time to take pics before I issued this wheelchair to the veteran, it is a Quickie GTi with the elastomer rear suspension option.

The Specs...
    Quickie GTI Titanium
    85 Degree
    Frame Inset 1"
    Classic Frame Length
    18" Seat Width
    16" Seat Depth
    18 1/2" Front Seat Height
    16" Rear Seat Height
    14-18" Folding Lock Down Angle Adj Back W/ Fold Down Push Handles
    Adjustable Back Upholstery
    5 x1.5 Frog Legs Aluminum Soft Roll Casters
    Short Wide Fork
    Elastomer Rear Suspension Axle Plate
    User Weight 191 to 265 lbs (Blue Elastomer)
    24 (540) Spinergy SPOX Wheels
    NaturalFit Super Grip Handrims
    Kik Mako Tires
    Ergo Scissor Locks

Here is close-up of the GTi suspension...

I am almost positive the suspension was designed by Frog Legs, but there are enough differences with other FL rear suspensions on other manufacturer's models that I can not say for certain. The most notable difference I noticed was the use of a secondary "rebound" elastomer. The whole assembly seems to be nicely engineered and adds only .87 lbs to the weight of the chair (per order form).

There are some configuration limits that potential end users must accept in order to get this option. The rear suspension option limits how low the rear STF height can be. I think this GTi was set to the lowest possible setting (16.0").

Rear axle location (COG) is also limited to 3.0". While this may be adequate for some, it could be less than ideal for others. Given my size and weight, my preference would have been to be able to move the axle slightly farther than the maximum setting allowed.

How effectively the suspension does its job will depend on what the end user expects it to do for them. Are we talking Marvel-like impact absorption? Of course not. It does, however, dampen out relatively minor impacts and makes for a more-comfortable ride over sidewalk cracks. Furthermore, it does so without any noticeable effect on efficiency during self-propulsion.

The veteran who received this chair has low back pain and had the Frog Legs rear suspension option on the Invacare A4 he was currently using. He wanted a maintenance free tire on his new chair, however. While most would initially think "Kik Mako solid tire" and "rear suspension" represents a contradiction of terms, they actually complement one another and provide a comfortable ride.

Quickie has continued to look at ways to improve their existing product lines. They have rather quietly introduced three different types of rear suspensions on three of their models. The elastomer rear suspension is available on both the Quickie GTi and the GT. The Quickie GT is also available with the mono shock suspension from the discontinued Quickie XTR. Most-recently, they introduced a 4 link rear suspension on the adjustable version of their Q7 rigid frame.

Now for the more-serious part of this post. All three of these models have Quickie's unique "on the fly" angle adjustable back. As I have posted previously, this back has an innovative design that can be useful to some end users by providing a second, more-reclined, back angle. Some may find this useful for working at a desk on a computer, self-cathing, or simply having the ability to "kick back" to relax and change positions

The more-open back angle will normally cause the chair to become more tippy. When combined with a rear suspension, however, compression of the suspension components may result in additional instability and a greater risk of flipping the chair. I made a point of testing stability while the veteran was using the GTi and made a point to discuss my potential concerns about rear tippiness if using the more-open angle with the suspension.

He should get many years of comfortable use from this chair, and I was confident in his ability to use it safely by the time we were done with his fitting. Had I not made a point of doing so, however, I don't feel I would have done my job.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 11-11-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Impressive, it seems like Quickie is becoming a really viable choice again. I like the idea of a 2 position back.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Without the side guard brackets in the way is the COG still limited to 3"?

I love the pics you post, btw. Very helpful.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Without the side guard brackets in the way is the COG still limited to 3"?

I love the pics you post, btw. Very helpful.
    Viewing the pic, there appears to be room to slide the side guard clamp forward another inch before the crosstube would interfere. I'm not sure if the 3.0 they mention is with or without. Whatever the case, it is 1.5" less than the standard axle plate.