Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other injuries at time of SCI?

- burst fracture @ C6
    - multiple lacerations
    - collapsed both lungs
    - concussion / traumatic amnesia

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I didn't even have a scratch, just a complete C5/6 injury. Unfortunately I wasn't found in the forest until 7 hours later. Pneumonia and terrible infection from hospital.

The worst thing, hospital put severe pressure wounds on balls of both feet by letting my bare feet push against the foot board.

Stuck in bed for 7 months without ever getting up, thereby reducing a very muscular, wildland fire fighter into a basket case. No therapy, just extensive wound care that left me with few functional muscles.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

lost 3 front teeth and 5 halfs teeth, spleen and left kidney, 3 weeks in coma on that roto bed, feeding tube and all that, could not eat or drink till a week before release.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Passenger in the middle seat of a mini-van. Hit head-on by drunk driver while vacationing in Hawaii...

2 surgeries for perforated bowels
    broken collar bone
    8 broken ribs
    7 breaks in C-spine; one completely broken through but no injury to cord
    T-11,12 shattered with cord injury
    bit a big hole in my tongue; chipped teeth

They had to do the bowel surgeries before the back and unfortunately log-rolled me back and forth for 3 days before they stabilized my back with rods. They assumed I would be a complete injury, but I'm not, so it could have limited my recovery. I stayed in a Honolulu hospital for 2 months until I could travel closer to home for rehab of 1 month.

Jim had: complete c5
    broken nose and LaForte III (broken facial bones)
    fractured pelvis
    compound fracture right arm
    fractured left kneecap
    broken jaw
    TBI
    He was in a coma for 5 months
    had tracheotomy and on ventilator for 6 months
    had pnuemonia x3
    UTI's x4
    received 3 bedsores in hospital
    right arm casted 3 months
    jaws wired shut while in halo brace for 3 months
    multiple surgeries: facial with 4 metal plates put in, nose and sinus
    spinal surgery
    right arm fracture repair
    trach
    Had to beg to get endocrinology consult since he's Type I diabetic >35 years
    had a fever> 105 for 3 weeks right after injury
    discharged 1 month after out of coma, one day after pulling trach and feeding tube out
    advised by Dr to enter nursing home
    advised by social worker to spend down all money
    discharged in 2001 with a manual 1950's E&J w/c
    discharged with three weeks of rehab

Jim has always been athletic, was training for a triathelon at the time of injury so we think that really helped. Hadn't been back in a hospital til this tenth year of injury. Has 9 times the amount of savings he had at time of injury. Fought and won a Workman's Comp suit. He went half on our house and extensive renovations. Campaigned for Democratic Govennor, Doyle, in Wisconsin to support ESC. He's quite the guy!

One cracked rib in my back caused two tiny chips out of the T4 which made my spinal cord swell causing a complete injury. Along with 2 cracked ribs on the front left side, left shoulder break at the end of the clavicle, paralyzed left diaphragm and three cracked molars.
    Ten days in intensive care and then three days later I ended up with an enormous amount of fluid in my lung cavity which nearly did me in again – twice. They stuck a tube in my right cavity one day and drained that one then two days later had to do the other one. They never did figure out why it happened.

T7-8 from a sledding accident, the tree won.

I also had some broken ribs, and scapula.

They probably slowed my rehab down a bit, but I just had to work through it.
    There wasn;t an option of waiting for them to heal.

About 1 week out I also had a bowel perforation that lead to an illieostomy, which while a crisis at the time, has turned out to be a good thing.

eta .... and reading the above post, I also ended up w. fluid in my lungs. Had almost forgotten that, LOL
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Kevin had:
    T12 complete injury with (now) 11 surgeries.
    Broke all Spinal Processes from T4-L3
    Spiral Fracture of right femur
    Double, nondisclocated, fracture of pelvis
    Bruised right lung (amazingly never got pneumonia)
    Second surgery develped an infection that resulted in failed hardware and replacement 3 months post.
    3rd degree burn on his right calf from shower water.
    Of course usual NG tubes and IV's.
    And a drug dependancy that will probably kill him before he's 30.
    BeeBee

I got a whole load of broken ribs and a collapsed lung. They got better, the SCI did not.
    The accident that broke my back was probably the result of an injury that had happened several years previously. I had broken my skull in 1990 and they think that is why I started having petit-mal epilepsy in 1997. It started in an inconvenient place - I was setting up for a group of kids to try abseiling and climbing, putting a rope round a tree at the top when I had a seizure and fell over the edge. At least it did not happen whilst I was driving the kids there in the mini-bus.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    Jim had: complete c5
    broken nose and LaForte III (broken facial bones)
    fractured pelvis
    compound fracture right arm
    fractured left kneecap
    broken jaw
    TBI
    ... snip
    Holy crap!

Wisconsin to support ESC. He's quite the guy!
    No shit. To recover from that, amazing. You must be very proud of him.